Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
One thing to consider about the "traffic" matter in Austin. Even if it is worse much of the time compared to Houston (which I don't quite believe), at least you don't have to drive very far to get to scenic areas. Austin is obviously in a hilly scenic region (esp. the western side of town). Houston has no equivalent to that, including Mount Bonnell, Lake Travis, and Hamilton Pool, just to name a few. Other than maybe Galveston, which is ugly or okay depending on your view, it literally takes hours of driving to get away from Houston to somewhere decent of scenic nature. Even then, the choices still don't compare to the hill country. That's the point I've been trying to make; if you value the outdoors, it's very limiting in that sense. You're basically trapped in the big city, or at least the "big city feel" that extends for miles in all directions, unless you take quite a bit of time off from work, and drive a long distance. Folks in Austin should really appreciate what's around in that area. I believe they/you do.

I haven't always been critical of Houston. Especially several decades ago when the town was smaller, the city limits not so extensive, and the pollution levels not what they are now. It's really gotten noticeable over the last 5-8 years or so. Along the lines of what CptnRn wrote, I do feel sorry for people moving to the town. It seems to be on an exponential slide downward. It might have jobs and all that, but unless your job is your whole world - and you have no life - then it's a slum environmentally, and unhealthy in many ways.

Sounds like you do need a BIG change. Honestly, while Austin and Houston have their differences, they are less than 200 miles apart and they aren't THAT different.

Why don't you look at the Denver/Boulder area? There you will find some REAL outdoor options in the Rockies, clean air, lower crime and 4 seasons...none of which you will find combined together anywhere in Texas. I'd say get in your moving vehicle and keep heading north and west!

I've lived in Boulder and, all things considered, I think its the nicest all-around place to live in the whole country. Our next stop will be somewhere near there in the next 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,850,422 times
When I mentioned preferences -- even with things like the music and arts festivals, I'd rather go to Buzzfest than ACL because it's just more my preference in music. Bayou City Art Festival is great. Tribeca Film Festival just came through Houston, and we'll soon have a Sundance Theater. That's all in addition to the high-brow stuff and traveling exhibits that come to the HMNS and MFAH, which I enjoy immensely as well.

Quote:
I haven't always been critical of Houston. Especially several decades ago when the town was smaller, the city limits not so extensive, and the pollution levels not what they are now. It's really gotten noticeable over the last 5-8 years or so.
Size yes, but pollution? Hasn't that actually improved over the last decade or so? Either that, or a whole bunch of other cities moved ahead of Houston on the lists. I'm thinking it's the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Sounds like you do need a BIG change. Honestly, while Austin and Houston have their differences, they are less than 200 miles apart and they aren't THAT different.
This is a good point. Austin is growing exponentially as well, and someone who doesn't like the effects of a fast-growing city may run into some of the same problems in Austin. Some place even smaller and not growing so quickly may be more to his liking.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,625 times
irishlover Yes, Boulder is awesome.

AK123 Nothing has been done to improve the air in Houston over the years. It's only gotten worse, mostly due to more vehicles on the road (personal and industrial) and by relaxing the air standards, but also due to clearing large areas of trees and laying concrete (i.e. less filtering of the air). Also, the air monitors throughout town have either stopped working and not been replaced (hmmm), or they've been tampered with to not record as strong of levels of pollutants. Making the air not look so bad is easy to do.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,805 times
Quote:
AK123 Nothing has been done to improve the air in Houston over the years. It's only gotten worse, mostly due to more vehicles on the road (personal and industrial) and by relaxing the air standards, but also due to clearing large areas of trees and laying concrete (i.e. less filtering of the air). Also, the air monitors throughout town have either stopped working and not been replaced (hmmm), or they've been tampered with to not record as strong of levels of pollutants. Making the air not look so bad is easy to do.
Got some facts to back up those claims?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,175 times
What is weird about Austin? What is left that is hippy? That nonsense just needs to stop. People will end up moving there and only complain. and sunderpig is basically a troll on the Houston forum just FYI

posted by Austin weekender who has to constantly hear complaints from transplants

Last edited by testmo; 10-30-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,680 times
There are plenty weird about Austin. Haven't you heard the slogan "keep Austin Weird?" Austin consistantly tops the "largest city in the country without...." lists and is in constant denial that is it nothing more than a horribly overcrowded college town. The idea that anyone could compare Austin with a powerhouse, internationally recognized city such as Houston, is just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
What is weird about Austin? What is left that is hippy? That nonsense just needs to stop. People will end up moving there and only complain. and sunderpig is basically a troll on the Houston forum just FYI

posted by Austin weekender who has to constantly hear complaints from transplants

Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,625 times
Yeah right, Testmo. Anyone who has a different opinion than you gets an automatic "troll" label. That's real mature...

As far as sorry @ass Houston goes, I'm not going to post to that forum, or even waste time looking at the posts there, anymore. I've already moved on mentally. Putting my time and attention elsewhere, such as Austin, for example. Every visit there has been a great relief from the 4th largest city in the US.

What's so great about city size and population anyway? That seems to dazzle some on this forum. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago? Really now, you consider those great places to live? Houston does have a lot in common with those other bloated metropolises, with vast square-miles of concrete, and many miles to travel to escape the city and reach the countryside.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-31-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
Quote:
What's so great about city size and population anyway? That seems to dazzle some on this forum. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago? Really now, you consider those great places to live? Houston does have a lot in common with those other bloated metropolises, with vast square-miles of concrete, and many miles to travel to escape the city and reach the countryside.
Have you missed all of the articles on how unbelievably fast Austin is growing, and the evidences that we can't keep up with growth? (traffic is by far the most outstanding.) Even so, the counties in Texas have little power, meaning outside of city limits, developers can do almost whatever they want and that usually ends up being sprawl in fast-growing metros. Are you sure you are not just chasing a carrot.... what will you think of Austin in 5-10 years from now? From what you say, maybe you need a city that has a stable population or even a declining one.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
The grass may seem greener but I'd personally be cautious about such a move. If you like racism/bigotry/homophobia, and ga eneral ass-backward way of thinking you can look no farther than Austin and the Hill Country. Perhaps it's just my own personal experience, but as far as regions of Texas go where you can find it, that area is #2 behind Beaumont/PA.

After doing trips through the US, I've concluded the Central TX "beauty" is highly overrated. I guess it's great if you're from Texas and haven't done much travelling, and esp as a college student. But if you're looking for a similar look, rock-lined riverbeds, similar species of trees but greener & taller, a cooler climate, a more dramatic rolling terrain, maybe look around E Tenn. East of Nashville or between Chattanooga & Knoxville fits the bill. And then deep east into North Carolina (Smoky Mts) is on a completely different level. When I go there I never want to leave.

You know even parts of Florida has rolling terrain in backwater spots that reminds me of the hilliest parts of East TX. Though I did notice how much cleaner the air is in that state than here.

Oregon along I-5 might also be another place to look if you can stand the cold.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The grass may seem greener but I'd personally be cautious about such a move. If you like racism/bigotry/homophobia, and ga eneral ass-backward way of thinking you can look no farther than Austin and the Hill Country. Perhaps it's just my own personal experience, but as far as regions of Texas go where you can find it, that area is #2 behind Beaumont/PA.
Think you are missing a few areas in Texas where things are much worse. Like how about West Texas, near where Perry's hunting camp was? Google Throckmorton county. That's probably the #2 area, maybe even number one. Then in addition to Beamont/PA, you'd have the East Texas/West LA area north of that, places like Jasper... Then some of the far-flung rural Houston suburbs are considered pretty bad. All of South Texas is pretty bad with it too, although in a different way.

Then somewhere after that you'd have some of the central TX towns, I suppose. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin