Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,320 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of finally moving away from Houston; having lived here way too long (several decades). Austin looks like it would be an improvement, with at least less people (not 5+ million), less pollution (due to less people and less chemical plants), possibly more-opened minded people (college influence and Keep Austin Weird), and at least some scenery improvements (away from flat and boring).

It'd be good to hear from others who have moved, and what they think of Austin compared to Houston. If it turned out to be worse in Austin, it'd be good to know why - and if possible - the area(s) moved to in Austin (zip code would be nice). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Your check list:
an improvement ✓
less people ✓
less pollution ✓
less chemical plants ✓
more-opened minded people ✓
college influence ✓
Keep Austin Weird ✓
some scenery improvements ✓
away from flat and boring ✓

Yep! It Looks like Austin has all of those things covered.

You can read my opinions about what I think is great about my part of town, 78749, here: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...gend-oaks.html

OK I admit I never lived in Houston but have visited often and was always glad to come home. We could probably offer more help to you if we knew what area of town you would be working in and what kind of activities you enjoy.

A few things I prefer about Austin over Houston:
As much as people complain about traffic in Austin, it is much worse in Houston and everything is much closer together and easier to get to here.
When I visited downtown Houston for a weekend some years ago, it was dead during evenings and weekends compared to Austin which has a lively and exciting urban feel downtown.
Houston goes on for miles and miles and miles without much variety.
Since Austin has zoning, neighborhoods are much more just neighborhoods and commercial or industrial land uses are more isolated.
In spite of its smaller size, Austin always has lots of things going on and lots to do. And you don't have to drive as far to get to it.
A day at Lake Travis in the fresh water is much more pleasant then a day at the beach around Houston.
Etc.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-24-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times
You imply you want less people, but I don't think you will find Austin less "crowded". If that makes sense. Especially with regard to the roadways. The Keep Austin Weird isn't about being "openminded", it's about supporting local business. You will find openminded and closeminded people in both cities. Your experience and enjoyment of both will also be influenced by what stage of life you are in. But by most of all, your attitude. And this leads me to the next thing....

No offense, but I've seen your other posts and they're more often than not negative, and most of the time a negative attitude isn't going to change just from changing locations. Those people just bring their negative attitude and complain about the new place for different reasons (and we have a few of those here for sure.) I firmly believe this and see it often.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times
And another thing -- more openminded people in Austin? I disagree. In my experience it's probably about the same in the cities. In fact, in Houston it seems like there's less of a status quo than Austin so I wouldn't hesitate to say it may be more openminded there (again, in the city.) And what about the gay mayor? Closeminded cities don't elect gay mayors.

My Houston friends all live in great neighborhoods I'm actually a little envious. The West University, Montrose, etc. I've never seen a chemical plant (aren't those all on the east side of town?) and they never say anything about pollution, especially considering we have friends in Los Angeles, New York, and lots of other cities that rank a lot higher than Houston on air pollution. Now I'm starting to wonder if you're just living in the wrong part of town fit for you. Also, do you have a job or job possibility in Austin?

This is tough because you want less people, but the parts of Austin you'd probably enjoy most are also the more crowded.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The Keep Austin Weird isn't about being "openminded", it's about supporting local business.

No offense...
That is what Keep Austin Weird was originally about, that is not what it has evolved into.

Funny how often "No offense" comments are followed by something offensive.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
I'm thinking of finally moving away from Houston; having lived here way too long (several decades). Austin looks like it would be an improvement, with at least less people (not 5+ million), less pollution (due to less people and less chemical plants), possibly more-opened minded people (college influence and Keep Austin Weird), and at least some scenery improvements (away from flat and boring).

It'd be good to hear from others who have moved, and what they think of Austin compared to Houston. If it turned out to be worse in Austin, it'd be good to know why - and if possible - the area(s) moved to in Austin (zip code would be nice). Thanks!
Based on your criteria, Austin is a perfect fit. It has all the differences from Houston you want but it's not too far away.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
I moved from Houston to Austin in the mid 1980s. I know that was a long time ago and many things have changed in both cities.

My business has kept me traveling to Houston regularly so I think I have some perspective on Houston today.

I agree Austin may not be "less crowded" feeling then Houston. But Austin is smaller. Houston is geographically huge. The 7 lanes of freeways keep traffic moving, but it conttributes to the feeling of huge. I am impressed though with Houston's continuous investment in its freeway infrastructure. Austin is behind. One thing about Austin's congestion - it doesn't feel like we have it all day all week. The same roads that we hate during weekday rush hour (Mopac, 360, I35, etc.) are much nicer off peak and on weekends. 360 on weekends reminds me of how pretty it was when I first moved here.

Austin doesn't have strip mall hell like Houston does.

Austin is clearly more scenic. Houston has some beauty in areas like Memorial. But it is a "flat" beauty with big wonderful trees. But there is no altitude change, no cliffs, and the lakes are shallow and often muddy.

Of course Austin doesn't have "high culture" or pro sports. Austin is more casual. And the people are a bit slimmer, more active.

Crime is another difference. Austin is probably safer, in a higher proportion of the city, than Houston.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Austin doesn't have strip mall hell like Houston does.
What does "strip mall hell" mean? Too many strip malls, or just any at all? When I lived in Austin we had no lack of them, and I lived central. Strip mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The strip malls actually have some of the best non-chain restaurants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Crime is another difference. Austin is probably safer, in a higher proportion of the city, than Houston.
Yes, unless you're talking about property crime.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,320 times
Thanks CptnRn, cBach, hoffdano, and others. sxrckr - I'm not sure why your post was so negative, and why you were digging up past posts to use them against me. I was only asking for a response to what was being asked. Your comments - though appreciated - added no value to what information was being requested, and only came across as full of assumption, guesswork, and judging. Of course, you have the right to do what you want to - just pointing that out.

I don't see how "Keep Austin Weird" equates strictly to supporting local business. There are lots of local focuses across the country that stress buying and supporting local that have nothing to do with originality/uniqueness/weirdness. One is simply to support local mechants and put money back in the local community. Another is buying food local instead of stuff that travelled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to the store (fresher, and less energy/oil involved in shipping). Again, those have nothing to do with weirdness or oddness, just common sense.

I've always gotten the impression that Keep Austin Weird is more about not being like the stuffy ultraconservative limited mindset, and letting that overtake the eclectic / college / openminded spirit. I.e. try to keep Austin laid-back and fun, and not be overly serious or afraid to be a different from the "mainstream" uptight society.

As far as chemical plants go, there are a ton of them along the Buffalo Bayou part of East Houston, and the west side of Galveston Bay. I see, smell, and feel the effects of that pollution on a regular basis. Add to that over 5 million people, along with more cars (compared to an area with 1+ million metro population) and you end up with a mess. Of course, the media tries to keep that reality as quiet as possible to the outside, so it's understandable that those in Austin may not realize just how bad it is here.

Anyway, nobody really commented on being happier in Austin vs. Houston based on personal experience. Maybe that will come soon. In general though, it still sounds like Austin is healthier, more scenic, and at least more intellectual. I don't have any delusions that it's infinitely better in all areas. Right now, any improvement would be good. Houston absolutely sucks, and has gotten dramatically worse over the past 15 years.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-25-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Thanks CptnRn, cBach, hoffdano, and others. sxrckr - I'm not sure why your post was so negative, and why you were digging up past posts to use them against me. I was only asking for a response to what was being asked. Your comments - though appreciated - added no value to what information was being requested, and only came across as full of assumption, guesswork, and judging. Of course, you have the right to do what you want to - just pointing that out.

I don't see how "Keep Austin Weird" equates strictly to supporting local business. There are lots of local focuses across the country that stress buying and supporting local that have nothing to do with originality/uniqueness/weirdness. One is simply to support local mechants and put money back in the local community. Another is buying food local instead of stuff that travelled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to the store (fresher, and less energy/oil involved in shipping). Again, those have nothing to do with weirdness or oddness, just common sense.

I've always gotten the impression that Keep Austin Weird is more about not being like the stuffy ultraconservative limited mindset, and letting that overtake the eclectic / college / openminded spirit. I.e. try to keep Austin laid-back and fun, and not be overly serious or afraid to be a different from the "mainstream" uptight society.

As far as chemical plants go, there are a ton of them along the Buffalo Bayou part of East Houston, and the west side of Galveston Bay. I see, smell, and feel the effects of that pollution on a regular basis. Add to that over 5 million people, along with more cars (compared to an area with 1+ million metro population) and you end up with a mess. Of course, the media tries to keep that reality as quiet as possible to the outside, so it's understandable that those in Austin may not realize just how bad it is here.

Anyway, nobody really commented on being happier in Austin vs. Houston based on personal experience. Maybe that will come soon. In general though, it still sounds like Austin is healthier, more scenic, and at least more intellectual. I don't have any delusions that it's infinitely better in all areas. Right now, any improvement would be good. Houston absolutely sucks, and has gotten dramatically worse over the past 15 years.
All the people I know that are from Houston were so glad to leave and are so happy here. You would be making the right choice moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin