Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Beautiful!
Thanks, our son did all the work - it's what he does for a living.

I edited to add some other pics above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
And when I buy a house, flooring is not a deal breaker for me. It can be changed just like paint and applicances.
That's the thing. If it's tile it can not easily be changed. Have you ever tried to get up tile? Not fun (or easy).

Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
That's the thing. If it's tile it can not easily be changed. Have you ever tried to get up tile? Not fun (or easy).
It's not that hard. Our son scraped up the old marble tile (about 60 square feet) in the entry hall in less than a half hour.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's the thing, the outer layers are hardwood, but the core isn't. To me, the only difference between engineered and laminate is that one uses a plastic outer shell/veneer and the other one uses an actual wood layer.

There are products sold as Engineered, but are not engineered as defined by ANSI.

HDF core manufactured wood, is an animal in itself.
It is fairly new to the market, with more and more manufacturers jumping on board to meet price points.

An engineered made to ANSI standards, will have a wood core, preferably a hardwood core. It may be alternating layers of birch and mahogany, or it may be all soft pine, or it may be all the same species as the wear surface.

A balanced engineered board is very important!! A lot of the stuff coming from China, Indonesia and South America, are not a balanced construction.

Nothing beat the old Bruce 3 ply 3/8" made 25 years ago. Never had a problem with it. Each ply was an 1/8", you could sand it to bare wood 3 times and numerous scuff and recoats between complete sandings to bare wood.

Get this, engineered wood was called laminated wood and changed when laminate hit the market from Europe.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Real oak flooring in my mancave, and we will put it in our master bedroom:

Three years aggo, we ripped up all the living/dining/hallway carpet and vinyl tile in the utitilty room & hall bathroom to put down 18" ceramic tile. We love it - and the geometric groutline pattern:

We had 12" floor tiles, and two kinds of 8" wall/counter tiles installed in the master bath makeover:

We even put granite tile on the new buffet/cabinet half wall between the living room & formal dining area:

Formal Dining room floor tile:

Looks good, The wood looks like Kahr's WoodLoc.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Not that hard, if you have the right tools.

Electric demo hammer/jack hammer.

Shielded Floor machine with a vacuum port and a scrape away attachment.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It's not that hard. Our son scraped up the old marble tile (about 60 square feet) in the entry hall in less than a half hour.

Ya, the tiles, but not the thinset!!!

With a floor machine and a scrape away that is about 45 min, to an hour. By hand scraping, an hour or more.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
So then the entire first floor should only take about 10 hours? Sheesh, what was I thinking? That's a breeze!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, the tiles, but not the thinset!!!

With a floor machine and a scrape away that is about 45 min, to an hour. By hand scraping, an hour or more.
Quote:
So then the entire first floor should only take about 10 hours? Sheesh, what was I thinking? That's a breeze!
' course then you only have to dispose of the mess. Let me cipher a bit...1600 sq ft of tile, 3/4" thick with thin-set equals Nah! We'll stick with the area rugs!

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 11-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: 'cause

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM

288 posts, read 811,604 times
Ya'll know they have wood look tiles these days too.

The first time I used it I thought it was kind of hokey, but after doing a few installs, it isn't bad. Stagger it like real wood and set with a tight grout line.

Is it something I'd want in my house? No. Is it a viable option for someone that wants the look of wood with the durability of tile, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: