Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm surprised everyone in Austin wasn't running around in bikini briefs this past summer. When it's THAT hot every day, you can't take off enough clothes! When I attended UT it was such a blessing to be able to wear only a tee, shorts and Birkies to class during the summer months.

Oh man, you can say that again!

I'm used to dry dusty West Texas climates and that Austin humidity just about kills me. I didn't think I would survive my first visit to Austin lol I worke in the hotel about 6:00 and out the door around 7:00 and had sweet pouring down my face by 8am! So I pack real light and casual when I have to visit Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
It gets rather cold there too, but I know what you mean. I much prefer dry climates. DFW is far too humid. My idea of a great Texas climate is that of Fort Davis.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It gets rather cold there too, but I know what you mean. I much prefer dry climates. DFW is far too humid. My idea of a great Texas climate is that of Fort Davis.
I've actually adapted to Dallas for some reason but ya, Ft Davis is closer to my climate.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I've actually adapted to Dallas for some reason but ya, Ft Davis is closer to my climate.
Probably because we've been in a relative drought for a few years and it's actually NOT humid in Dallas (as my skin and eyes and hair can attest to) like it used to be.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
people go places dressing generally like they just got out of bed and not even fixed up. Its just trashy so many people dont even care, you go to descent to not even really nice restaurants and people just dress like nothing. IVe gone to really nice restaurants and there is always someone who just decides to basically be the odd one out and dress terribly. I mean a simple polo would help nothing else. I just find it astounding at the how not formal the people in the city can be.
You clearly haven't been to San Antonio.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You clearly haven't been to San Antonio.
Or El Paso. Yikes.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,029 times
Quote:
i cant really stand hippies or hipsters, some of them are nice but i just cannot get along with those people. Our views and lifestyles are inherently different however i must say i do support the legalization of marijuana or at leas the decriminalization and i did enjoy and partake in the smoking of it when i was younger. I suppose that is the 1 thing me and hippies agree on other than that i feel there ideals are what is horrible for a strong america.

I dont really like the "keep austin weird' or the embracing of radical opinions and trying to be a miniature San Francisco. Austin is surely weirdest city in Texas besides maybe some parts of Houston. But Austin cant compare to the weirdo's in SF or Los Angeles or oakland lol
Does every place in Texas have to be a bastion of conservatism? Let Austin do things it's way, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to live in Texas that'll conform to yours and the ops ideas of proper. Btw, the op could always move to the burbs, the Cedar Park folks dress just they do here in Frisco. I like Austin, it's like a zoo for us "liberal" Texans who generally are more like what would be considered moderates in other states. I like the ideology in theory, but I like my clean, safe little burb.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I'm as conservative as they come, but haven't worn a coat & tie in 20 years. In fact, I own neither now.

My daily wear is a pair of shorts, a pocket T-shirt or polo, white socks & docker-type shoes. If it gets too cold, then sweat pants take over from the shorts.

If there's a wedding or a funeral, I'll wear my one pair of slacks and a dress shirt with leather loafers.

Swanky restaurant dinner? Those same slacks and a nice polo with said loafers.

Life's too short to choke it off with neckties and such.

(I did wear dress shirts, slacks, & neckties while teaching school for 30 years).

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
people go places dressing generally like they just got out of bed and not even fixed up. Its just trashy so many people dont even care, you go to descent to not even really nice restaurants and people just dress like nothing. IVe gone to really nice restaurants and there is always someone who just decides to basically be the odd one out and dress terribly. I mean a simple polo would help nothing else. I just find it astounding at the how not formal the people in the city can be.
You need to be in Dallas then buck-O

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm surprised everyone in Austin wasn't running around in bikini briefs this past summer. When it's THAT hot every day, you can't take off enough clothes!
Dude, you do NOT want to see that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin