U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM

970 posts, read 1,649,810 times

Advertisements

Yeah.......sprawl is tall buildings as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 PM

970 posts, read 1,649,810 times
Is it not disturbing to some folks that there are really tall buildings being built within the "city core/"

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 PM

7,636 posts, read 16,915,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Um..no....as the OP, I didn't "classify" SPRAWL as "tall buildings."
Then you wrote:

Quote:
Yeah.......sprawl is tall buildings as well.
You are a trip, my friend.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 AM

554 posts, read 935,527 times
Oh, sprawl.... it's such a fundamental physical issue with modern society. How do you deal with growth?

If 1 million people want to live in a 10 mile radius, how do you accommadate that? What if most of those people want their own little piece of land? Some do, some don't. Is it possible that we don't have the technology and resources to fulfill the WANTS of most people? I think so. I think it comes down to that. Something has to give. Can't please everyone 100%.

Right now it appears the main problem is transportation. People want to go anywhere, at a high rate of speed. How are the physics of that going to work? They could work, we could spend billions double decking all highways and even surface streets.

What would our 10 mile radius look like if we met the average person's want of going anywhere, fast? Would they be willing to pay for it? Would they want to LIVE in this new place?

Luxury costs money. Does everyone deserve luxury?

I look at places like LA, when I think of sprawl. I'm curious what the people of the greater LA think about where they live. Do they like it? Do they think it's right?

Do we want Austin to look like that? How do we deal with the inevitable growth?

Austin will not become more dense downtown (not for the average person). We will remain scattered from Buda to Leander, with the automobile remaining the overwhelming form of transportation. 1 more lane across Town Lake is not going to solve our issues....

Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,477,775 times
Quote:
Is it not disturbing to some folks that there are really tall buildings being built within the "city core/"
It's still more disturbing to chop and spread through natural beauty. If the human race is going to mess up, at least it can mess up in the smallest amount of space possible and not in God's beautiful country.

My opinion is that if you're going to live outside of a city, then you should be willing to live a rural life, or working alongside with nature and not against it. I think homeinatx provided enough reason why "sprawl/suburban" is bad for the environment.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM

6,989 posts, read 12,390,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
It's still more disturbing to chop and spread through natural beauty. If the human race is going to mess up, at least it can mess up in the smallest amount of space possible and not in God's beautiful country.

My opinion is that if you're going to live outside of a city, then you should be willing to live a rural life, or working alongside with nature and not against it. I think homeinatx provided enough reason why "sprawl/suburban" is bad for the environment.
Urban sprawl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ultimately you can define sprawl to mean whatever you want- then we are just arguing semantics which is pointless.

Arguing the effects of consuming land and spreading out is another story. Building up definitely uses less land than building out.

1) you dont consume as much natural land and replace it with roads and houses. this is a huge deal.
2) People dont drive as far so use less resources
3) The less you drive, the less accidents you have and the less people that die
4) driving cities encourage obesity

Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,120,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
It's a code word for lefty resentment of families fleeing failing urban areas for safer environs.
Yeah, I hate those darn left handed people

Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 AM

20,795 posts, read 39,755,044 times
OP, I hadn't thought of it in that context before, but, you know, I think you're right. Upward sprawl is just as bad as outward sprawl, and they BOTH exemplify problems in our society.

I find absolutely no joy in seeing Austin's downtown and Capitol views overtaken with tall buildings, and I almost never go to Lady Bird Lake or downtown any longer unless I absolutely have to because of the crowding caused by the upward sprawl. It's no more attractive, to me, than the subdivisions that others decry as sprawl, and it makes me wonder where Austin went.

Thanks for a new perspective on an old problem. The solution is nowhere as easy as some would try to make out, "let's build tall buildings so everyone - well, everyone with lots of money - can crowd in together downtown!". It's going to take a lot more thought than that.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,068,770 times
Whenever I hear the term "sprawl," I just think of the Rush song, "Subdivisions," which sums up all my frustrations with suburban sprawl:

Subdivisions - Rush - YouTube

Sadly, this song's lyrics are still extremely relevant today.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,318,012 times
So the only "real" city is where there are tall buildings and/or where people originally settled and/or original outline of the city? Would anything outside of this area be considered sprawl and not a "real" space to live in? Can charm only be found in these "real" areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or