Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM

137 posts, read 454,358 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I were in Austin last week for a whole week. The last place we ate was the worst serivce-wise. It was the Bakehouse. I had made a list of restaurants to visit after coming on here and asking for suggestions. We visited Friday night, arrived at 8:30, and were seated immediately. BUT THEN, we sat with menus in hand and no acknowledgment from anyone for nearly 15 minutes. The owner was even getting silverware behind my husband's head (where this was located) and never once looked over at us to check on us. The waitress was running around so it was not her fault - they did not have enough staff. We placed our appetizer order along with our drink order and they were delivered but could not find waitress to order entrees as someone else delivered our appetizers. We ordered our entrees and then heard the people behind us have problems with their food. Also, the waitress brought their salads AFTER their entrees. They told her to box it up and the manager came over and comped both their entrees (Wellingtons) since they were not correct. I then asked my waitress if I could get my salad before my meal as we had been waiting after our appetizer for some time. She said yes but brought it out with our entrees.

On the brighter side, we went to Threadgills for lunch one day and had a great meal, went to Chuy's one night for dinner, and went to Rudy's for bbq one evening. We did go to Hopdoddy as my husband is a hamburger fanatic but the burger was not well done as he likes it and did not like it at all. We then zipped across the street for Home Slice which was great. All-in-all our food was great in Austin along with our kolaches we got on the way up and back down through 71 at Hruskas (sp?).

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post

On the brighter side, we went to Threadgills for lunch one day and had a great meal, went to Chuy's one night for dinner, and went to Rudy's for bbq one evening. We did go to Hopdoddy as my husband is a hamburger fanatic but the burger was not well done as he likes it and did not like it at all. We then zipped across the street for Home Slice which was great. All-in-all our food was great in Austin along with our kolaches we got on the way up and back down through 71 at Hruskas (sp?).
Burgers should be done medium rare. If you get it well done you can pretty much go anywhere. What makes hopdoddys so good is that they do an awesome medium rare burger. Next time try phils ice house 78704 burger. They never get me a medium rare burger but the toppings are so good it is ok.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM

137 posts, read 454,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Burgers should be done medium rare. If you get it well done you can pretty much go anywhere. What makes hopdoddys so good is that they do an awesome medium rare burger. Next time try phils ice house 78704 burger. They never get me a medium rare burger but the toppings are so good it is ok.
I understand about the burger but my hubby eats everything well done (yuck). He hates juicy or pink - just the way he was raised and will not change.

We should be back next year so will try Phil's Ice House then. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 AM

21 posts, read 35,581 times
When I visited a few weeks ago my friends took me to Torchy Tacos, it was great IMO. I had this Taco with chicken, mango and jalapenos- yum yum yum. Also my friend swears by the "trailer trash" that's trashy (with fried chicken). The street corn was just okay, wasn't a fan of this cream sauce stuff but maybe it was to counteract the heat on the rest of it. To me it was a good informal lunch spot, worth the line.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_addict View Post
When I visited a few weeks ago my friends took me to Torchy Tacos, it was great IMO. I had this Taco with chicken, mango and jalapenos- yum yum yum. Also my friend swears by the "trailer trash" that's trashy (with fried chicken). The street corn was just okay, wasn't a fan of this cream sauce stuff but maybe it was to counteract the heat on the rest of it. To me it was a good informal lunch spot, worth the line.
Torchy's is awesome! It's also straight up tacos for white folks- next time try somewhere that doesn't get as cute with their ingredient combinations and serves more traditional/authentic tacos...in 78704 you could try Papalote or El Tacorrido.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Torchy's is awesome! It's also straight up tacos for white folks

White folks? I'm Asian and I eat there. And most of my Hispanic friends love it too. It's a different take on tacos that everyone can appreciate

Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 35,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
White folks? I'm Asian and I eat there. And most of my Hispanic friends love it too. It's a different take on tacos that everyone can appreciate
My indian friends took me there, the kids love it. There weren't many white folk, a mix of many races from the line on a saturday afternoon. I got the impression they were trying to mix it up and apart from other traditional fare......I can only imagine there are many places that do traditional well. I think their niche is being a little more trendy and unconventional yet identifiable and yummy. At least that was my impression and I can see the draw to it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Wow. I guess I should clarify- I don't mean that Torchy's is catered exclusively to white people, I mean that there target demographic is hipster/yuppie types (predominantly white), rather than people looking for an authentic taqueria experience (predominantly not white). I certainly don't mean that Latinos or Asians can't/shouldn't enjoy Torchy's, it's just far from authentic Mexican food. Torchy's is definitely meant to appeal to a wider audience than an authentic taco place. Guess I could've phrased that differently though.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Wow. I guess I should clarify- I don't mean that Torchy's is catered exclusively to white people, I mean that there target demographic is hipster/yuppie types (predominantly white), rather than people looking for an authentic taqueria experience (predominantly not white). I certainly don't mean that Latinos or Asians can't/shouldn't enjoy Torchy's, it's just far from authentic Mexican food. Torchy's is definitely meant to appeal to a wider audience than an authentic taco place. Guess I could've phrased that differently though.
Im asian, like torchys, and understood what you meant.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM

237 posts, read 499,349 times
That whole "it's not authentic" angle is beyond tiresome. Maybe they just want to make good tacos. Good is good regardless of whether or not someone's ancient grandmother who makes tacos in adobe hut signs off on it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin