Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Funny you should mention Hopdoddy's because I do believe that was the last place we went - a few weeks ago - we don't eat out all that much anymore. Anyhow, Hopdoddy's is SPECTACULAR and is worth the hype. I've had the Greek burger (made with Lamb), Shroom Burger, and some Cheeseburger with barbeque sauce (can't remember the name) and each one was indescribably delicious. Really the best burgers I've ever had, anywhere. Period.
Went to Hopdoddy two times this past weekend with out of town guest. LOVE Hopdoddy and so did everyone else we took. Best burgers hands down!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound44 View Post
Just had Rudy's BBQ for the second time this week. I'm new here...just moved to Austin 3 weeks ago. We can't get enough of their brisket!! and that creamed corn!! they just don't have BBQ even half as good in FL.
Still our favorite BBQ place. Next to try is Franklin's, that is if I feel like standing in line and eating an early lunch before they run out.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound44 View Post
Just had Rudy's BBQ for the second time this week. I'm new here...just moved to Austin 3 weeks ago. We can't get enough of their brisket!! and that creamed corn!! they just don't have BBQ even half as good in FL.
That 'Rudy's binge' seems to be the norm for a lot of new folks . We did it for a few weeks, although Schlotzsky's was our go-to lunch place for quite a while!

The Entertainment Book recently sent out their 2012 edition. We have sampled lunches from BBQ and other fast casual places we didn't even know about...usually on a BOGO coupon! Bert's, Chisholm Trail, Texas Rib Kings, Johnny T's in Round Rock...just to name a few! Smokey Mo's is another less-discussed BBQ place that has good lunch specials during the week. Heck, even Dickey's has pretty good pulled pork and sausage.

So much BBQ...too bad there are only 7 lunches in a week!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
austinbound44, when you get ready for BBQ adventure (Rudy's is reliable but not spectacular), drive a bit and go to Luling to City Market BBQ for brisket. Unbelievably good. Or on a Saturday or Sunday morning, head up to Perez BBQ in Bartlett. Or O.D.'s in Jarrell (you'll have to eat outside or take it to go - occupancy of the building is 10).

Last restaurant would be Ruby's new location in Shiner Market in Jarrell. Had to run in and find out what was going on, because I saw the old location had closed and she had moved and I was about to go crazy wondering if I could still get the best chicken fried steak I've ever had in all my 60 years of eating it. I can, plus her awesome spinach salad with berries and walnuts. Before that would be Asia Cafe at Spicewood Springs and 183, and before that Louisiana Longhorn in Round Rock.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,702 times
The last restaurant I ate at in Austin before I moved a few months ago was The Cordon Bleu school. We had been meaning to go there forever; we lived close to The Domain, so we made a point of going right before we moved.

We loved it! The prices were reasonable; our waiter, a newby, was very sweet; and the food was excellent. The teacher/chef was hovering around and it was very fun to watch the student/chef as she made the rounds of the restaurant flambaying bananas foster. We ordered that for dessert as well.

I suppose it could be hit or miss since students are cooking. We definitely came on a night when they did a great job. It was a fun experience, and I wish there were a culinary school where we live now.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
the best chicken fried steak I've ever had in all my 60 years of eating it. I can, plus her awesome spinach salad with berries and walnuts.

I love it, THL! Talk about covering the nutrition spectrum from one end to the other!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:58 AM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
Zorba Cafe/Slaughter & I35. I guess they have a location in Round Rock, too.

DELICIOUS! Gyro meat, hummus, rice, salad with feta dressing. Awesom middle eastern food.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
Rudy's is the best BBQ factoring in convenience and it just being a nice place. Better BBQ outside of town but you have to drive there and most of the places are kinda dumps. Go to TAYLOR, GO EARLY AND BRING LOTS OF CASH. MY FAVORITE BBQ.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Big Bite Pizza and Grill
415 W 24th St (Just off The Drag)

Tried the Phat Goomba

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
Had a Chicago char dog yesterday at MDW. It was so good I stood in line for a second one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin