Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
Not true!!
I did this a long time ago when it was 3:00 A.M. . No cars around, stuck are a slow and long red light. I swear I sat there for like 9 minutes. I decided to take it. Right across the street by the railroad tracks a cop was sitting there waiting. Basterd pulled me over and gave me a ticket.

I told him you must of enjoyed watching me sit that long at the light huh?
He comment was "I could have caused an accident".
Gotta love Cedar Park PD.
(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1) turn right; or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM

61 posts, read 120,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunkmonky View Post
I was on my scooter waiting on north lamar to cross Koenig yesterday and about 4 cars went through the red in front of me. There were cars not even entering the intersection yet who ran the red after my light was green. I always try to get a quick start from lights when I'm first in traffic so I can get my pick of lanes up ahead and not have to look over my should for room to merge etc. Green in Austin doesn't mean 'go',, it means 'proceed once the intersection is clear'.

On the one hand I throw my hands up like "what's a matter with you animals!" On the other hand, I only was in that part of town to go to a store. I don't commute that way. If I had to commute on Lamar between 5-6pm regularly, I'd probably start building some kind of little blimp or an ultralight aircraft.
Yeap, folks, be careful when you are on that intersection.
The left turn signal from Koenig to Lamar is short, people run red light on a regular basis.
I was on Lamar going north and my light was already green for probably two seconds. There was still a car turning left that I had to wait for him.
I honked at him and threw my hands in the air to show my displeasure, he had the audacity to get upset about it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfield View Post
The left turn signal from Koenig to Lamar is short, people run red light on a regular basis.
I was on Lamar going north and my light was already green for probably two seconds. There was still a car turning left that I had to wait for him.
I honked at him and threw my hands in the air to show my displeasure, he had the audacity to get upset about it.
Oh man, I hate that intersection so much. What is up with the ridiculously short left turn signal from Koenig to Lamar?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfield View Post
It's the same way with the light to turn left (southbound) on 360 from Spicewood Springs. I used to get mad at the two or three drivers still in the intersection when our light turned green. Then I came down Spicewood Sprgs one day and realized why those drivers were there (combination of too short a light and a long distance to clear the intersection). Now I don't stress over it, I just wait for them to clear before I go.

I do think running red lights has gotten too rampant and with no consequences though. I'd like to see more enforecement. I don't mind stopping for yellow lights but I don't want to get rear ended either!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It's the same way with the light to turn left (southbound) on 360 from Spicewood Springs. I used to get mad at the two or three drivers still in the intersection when our light turned green. Then I came down Spicewood Sprgs one day and realized why those drivers were there (combination of too short a light and a long distance to clear the intersection). Now I don't stress over it, I just wait for them to clear before I go.

I do think running red lights has gotten too rampant and with no consequences though. I'd like to see more enforecement. I don't mind stopping for yellow lights but I don't want to get rear ended either!
How about, instead of more enforcement (revenue generation) they make corrections to the light timings? It's been shown time & again that correct light timings do wonders for red light behavior.

Of course, the revenue generators wouldn't like this since it would cut into their revenue.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 PM

102 posts, read 296,889 times
A street I can remember it happen on was when I got off of I-35 and the exit was Lockheart I think? I was turning left. I've also noticed people will cut me off much more than where I used to live. Im not use to driving in a larger city. I drove around dallas to get here the and nealy a heart attack. I am scared for my life everytime I get in the car lol. I know I'm laughing but I am serious.The crazy drivers mixed with my sister's driving when we go anywhere in her car.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM

152 posts, read 767,486 times
Austin sounds like a madhouse. Primitive. Get-out-of-my-way-or-else!!Is it still the Wild West ?? Ye gods!!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM

161 posts, read 385,409 times
Where I'm from, all the stop lights are equipped with cameras, so such behavior is usually avoided.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Today I was driving on Ben White (not the freeway), in the right lane, not speeding, but just going the rate of most of the traffic. Someone cut right in front of me, then stopped to turn into a driveway. I literally had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. Who does that? Unfortunately, it is not the first time this has happened to me in Austin. I used to think that people were exaggerating when they said Austin drivers are worse than in other place, but I am beginning to believe it.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
I think Austin has more polite drivers than other places I have lived. Las Vegas was the worse. Stopping for a red light meant being rear ended. I stopped for a lady crossing in a crosswalk and was rear ended. I guess I was suppose to hit her (Not!!) People will actually allow you to merge onto I 35. Many places I have lived it is frustrating and scary as you have to try and force your way into traffic. Maybe if those people who are running red lights read these posts, we can keep Austin safe and friendly. You also have to remember there are many transplants living in Austin and they bring their bad driving habits with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin