U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 8,847 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Austin sometime in the next year. I was hoping someone could give me some opinion on South Lake Travis; specifically Coves on Lake Travis and Angel Bay.

How "far out" are these communities?
Does it appear that "growth" is heading that way?
General info on the area...
Also, compare that part of the lake to the North side

I appreciate any local opinions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,148,491 times
I think of those as very desirable areas, even though the homes there are a bit pretentious for my tastes. If you are interested in waterfront, take a boat where you might buy and survey the water levels now. This is a severe test of whether or not you actually have water to enjoy.

Too far is very subjective. I live in Spicewood, just a few miles closer to Austin. I don't think where I live is too far, but some people think I'm crazy.

North Shore is "too far" for me. Some real beauty there, but it is a long haul into Austin.

Growth is moving west in Travis County. A new elementary school will be built in West Cypress Hills, and a new middle school will be built near Bee Creek Rd.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM

16,783 posts, read 43,730,240 times
Angel Bay (I don't think it was called that in the past), near Angel Light Drive, and the Coves on Lake Travis, used to be on the hills around one of the least developed, most natural Coves on Lake Travis, 10 years ago. But that is no longer the case, there are houses on most sides of the cove now. It is still a good area near the lake. That area has been slower to develope then most parts of the lake, and a lot of it is still relatively undeveloped. But I don't expect that to continue.

Those areas are pretty far out if you need to commute into downtown Austin, especially North Austin. However at least one of the regulars here lives out near there (Spicewood) and he has said in the past that the commute isn't all that bad. ??? From my perspective the commute from the Y in Oak Hill is usually 45 minutes during a "good" rush hour day, so you can add time from their to anyplace that is further out such as Angel Bay.

Lake Travis is a variable level lake, the water level goes up and down during droughts like we have recently and it currently lower then I have seen it in 31 years in Austin. There is probably relatively little water back in those coves currently.

Those narrow coves and the thin end of the lake, where it mostly consists of the original river bed between the hills, is effected much more drastically by droughts like the one we are currently experiencing.

The North Side of the lake is generally more attractive to retired people or anyone who does not have to drive into Austin very often. As it is a lot further drive then from anywhere on the south shore of the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: