Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Austin, Tx. Are there any jobs for a 65 year old ? Is there a place to rent like a room even a motel room ? I have no one but myself. Texas is a place of rest and relaxation. Am thinking of a part time job while collecting SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Do you have any work experience? A field that you have a preference for? Or are you just looking for a minimum wage whatever job to supplement your SS?

When you say "is there a place to rent a room" do you mean to permanently live in, or just for a visit while you check things out? Google is your friend in both instances.

Texas is no more resting or relaxing than any other place on earth. It's the person who is rested and relaxed, not the location, but best of luck to you.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
catotx65, if you haven't visited the Retirement forum here on city-data, I recommend it. Lots of people there are trying to decide where and how they want to spend their retirement years. Good luck to you!

//www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/

Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

156 posts, read 404,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx65 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Austin, Tx. Are there any jobs for a 65 year old ? Is there a place to rent like a room even a motel room ? I have no one but myself. Texas is a place of rest and relaxation. Am thinking of a part time job while collecting SS.
try san angelo,tx
they have many retirees and nice little town.
rents are cheaper than austin

Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
The San Antonio area is a prety good area to Retire my parents have a few friends in SA that are retired and housting might be a little cheaper than Austin.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
The San Antonio area is a prety good area to Retire my parents have a few friends in SA that are retired and housting might be a little cheaper than Austin.
Yes, but San Antonio is ugly and worn looking.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I disagree. Yeah, there are some worn looking parts of it, but there are some ugly and worn looking parts to Austin too. But I do think that no matter where the OP lands, he needs to line something up first.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:13 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Ugly and worn looking?? Hmm, ok. I'm so glad that Austin doesn't have any of the same topography or overall look as San Antonio! Oh wait, San Antonio doesn't have the "skyline defining" rich people high rise condos that Austin does. Therefore, it's not as attractive.

Gee, San Antonio actually embraces ALL forms of social economic levels of people, not only the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post

Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Ugly and worn looking?? Hmm, ok. I'm so glad that Austin doesn't have any of the same topography or overall look as San Antonio! Oh wait, San Antonio doesn't have the "skyline defining" rich people high rise condos that Austin does. Therefore, it's not as attractive.

Gee, San Antonio actually embraces ALL forms of social economic levels of people, not only the rich.
Still doesn't change the fact that it's ugly. I don't care how much money you've got. Ugly is ugly. Fancy high rises cannot turn that sow's ear.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post

I was mainly talking about New Braunfels or Boerne but SA has plenty of nice areas Sonterra,Stone Oak,The Dominion,Deerfield being several nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin