Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 AM

109 posts, read 161,672 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Austin for 7 years, and for the entire time, I've had the same commute: 35th St to MoPac north to 183 north to Oak Knoll Drive. While I appreciate that it's a reverse commute, it also gives me time to ponder certain behaviors that are at best, distracted and inattentive driving, and at worst - downright aggressive AND stupid. So...maybe some education for me is in order.

1 - When merging on highways, am I silly to observe the rule about not crossing a solid white line, and waiting for the dotted lines? This applies mostly to well-flowing traffic.

2 - Should I start using frontage roads to bypass slow moving traffic, even if I believe that the constant in-and-out is actually contributing to the overall problem?

3 - Don't I have the right of way when an incoming driver has a yield sign? (This is on the cloverleaf at the 35th Street exit coming from north)

I'm starting to consider taking matters into my own hands if the police don't start enforcing basic traffic laws...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
I'd say just let the dumbasses hit you when they're being stupid. I've debated at times not slamming on my brakes when someone pulls out in front of me and just hitting them. After enough at-fault accidents on their insurance record will maybe make them learn the rules of the road.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 AM

I'd be all over that if I didn't have a kiddo in the car with me.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Yes, no, yes.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,429 times
Good to know I am not the only one not crossing a solid white line. I hate when a driver behind me roars up and crosses the solid white line to get around me as I am signaling and waiting for the dotted line to appear.

The City of Austin would have extra money if they would enforce the on-ramp fly over to mopac at 290 and Monterrey Oaks down in South Austin. I bet 80% of the people using that ramp cross the DOUBLE WHITE lines and get on 290 instead of going down the road a little bit and entering 290. They even pass a DO NOT CROSS DOUBLE WHITE LINES sign as they enter the ramp. Drives me nuts!!!

It isn't silly to observe the rules.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Good to know I am not the only one not crossing a solid white line. I hate when a driver behind me roars up and crosses the solid white line to get around me as I am signaling and waiting for the dotted line to appear.
I found this VERY disorienting when I moved here - and I'm from Boston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
The City of Austin would have extra money if they would enforce the on-ramp fly over to mopac at 290 and Monterrey Oaks down in South Austin. I bet 80% of the people using that ramp cross the DOUBLE WHITE lines and get on 290 instead of going down the road a little bit and entering 290. They even pass a DO NOT CROSS DOUBLE WHITE LINES sign as they enter the ramp. Drives me nuts!!!

It isn't silly to observe the rules.
But I feel a little silly being the only one.....

Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
I've lived in Austin for 7 years, and for the entire time, I've had the same commute: 35th St to MoPac north to 183 north to Oak Knoll Drive. While I appreciate that it's a reverse commute, it also gives me time to ponder certain behaviors that are at best, distracted and inattentive driving, and at worst - downright aggressive AND stupid. So...maybe some education for me is in order.

1 - When merging on highways, am I silly to observe the rule about not crossing a solid white line, and waiting for the dotted lines? This applies mostly to well-flowing traffic.

No, you're not silly. But there will always be some idiot who crosses them and tries to get ahead of you and causes traffic problems as a result.

2 - Should I start using frontage roads to bypass slow moving traffic, even if I believe that the constant in-and-out is actually contributing to the overall problem?

It's entirely legal. I wouldn't do it as a matter of course, or weave in and out a lot, but taking the access road to get past a traffic blockage is no more dangerous than taking an adjoining non-highway street to do the same - probably less dangerous, all things considered. An off and then on a couple or three entrances up is not likely to contribute to the problem. Whether or not you decide to start doing this is your own call, of course.

3 - Don't I have the right of way when an incoming driver has a yield sign? (This is on the cloverleaf at the 35th Street exit coming from north)

Yes, you do. That cloverleaf is particularly dangerous, I think, for that reason - people tend to ignore the sign trying to "get ahead" and forget that people are exiting into the very lane they've pushed into.

I'm starting to consider taking matters into my own hands if the police don't start enforcing basic traffic laws...
How do you propose doing that?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post

You can cross the solid white line if it is safe to do so. I generally wait for the dashed line

Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You can cross the solid white line if it is safe to do so. I generally wait for the dashed line
From the Texas Drivers Handbook page 5-22

Quote:
Crossing is prohibited where there is a pavement marking of double solid white lines.
The illustration that goes with that is of an on-ramp as it enters a highway.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
The handbook states only crossing double white lines is prohibited. Single solid lines you should just avoid crossing if possible, which I think the OP is referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: