Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 11,104 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone knew which areas of Cedar Park to stay away from? We are looking for an area with a great elementary school. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,259,029 times
Most of the newer parts of Cedar Park are very nice. There are some small areas that are a bit on the fringe, but they're easy to spot doing visual drivebys.

As far as schools, Deer Creek got rated exemplary this past year. One other got rated exemplary in Cedar Park, but I can't recall the name. You might also check out Cypress Creek and CC Mason. I have a friend who subs at Cypress Creek - she's been a sub for 20 years and says she feels it's the best elementary in all of Leander ISD.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,449,473 times
I think the other exemplary school was Faubion. And of course Steiner Ranch usually is but dropped a little in one area this year. I don't think you could go wrong with any Leander schools. Plus, if you drive your child, you can go to any one that you choose unless there's a moritorium on transfers. Shop for the house you like and don't worry about the schools.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention this. Grandview Hills is an interesting school to check into. Its not in its new facility yet, but its an IB elementary. They start a language in second grade and have a different learning model. You can read about the philosophy on the International Baccalaureate website.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM

I have to say one more thing about Leander ISD elementaries. At the end of the year, we get to request who we'd llike our child to have the next year. We have a week to sit in on classes and then fill out a form. Last year, I visited their websites, peeked in all the rooms, and visited with my first choice (you have to put 3 down). My child has that teacher and we couldn't be happier.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks! We are coming from SC so everything has been done on the internet thus far. The problem is that everything always looks great online! Does CP have a lot of young families? We are in the 25-30 range with two small children. We moved to SC from Houston, TX last year and failed to look at the median age. We ended up moving to a town that is cute and nice but has a median age of 52. It really makes a difference in the whole friend making department.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Yes, lot's of young families! Our school district has been and will continue to open 2 new elementaries a year. If a district can get the residents to vote YES on bond elections, then more than likely they've still got kids at home ; )

What's your price range and I can suggest some neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

We would love to stay under $200,000. My whole thing is that I want to live in a cute neighborhood with a school located close by. When we lived in Houston we were always out and about walking. I just want that type of feeling from a neighborhood. Thanks for your help!!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 PM

http://www.leanderisd.org/docs/1-LISDMAP07.pdf (broken link)

The above map has all the schools on it. Here's a list of schools that are in a neighborhood in that price range and that you could easily walk to.

Cedar Park:

Cypress
Naumann
Giddens
Knowles
Rutledge

Leander:
Block House Creek
Pleasant Hill
Plain

Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 PM

69 posts, read 157,491 times
th.carolina -

Have you made the move?

I just posted a new thread looking for advice as we are almost certainly going to have to make a fast move (Wife, four daughters, myself) and most of what you wrote was right along my interests, with the only departure possibly that I want to be more rural bordering on open fields/park/water, and less neighborhood oriented. Please, if you are right there, I NEED your impressions! My wife would probably kill me, and now as she is the bread-winner she gets an extra vote, but I don't need any newly built home, I can do some work myself if need be (that being said, the home we are in is a year old - her vote, but it is next to a stream and farm fields, so I am happy...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin