Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

239 posts, read 518,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I've been here since 1993 and we are always in a draught. Don't worry about rain. I moved here from Washington, D.C. It isn't humid (unless you're use to the desert).
Weather Forecast - Austin Bergstrom International, TX - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

Looks like rain and 79% humidity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
yeah, i don't get it when people say that austin isn't humid and that there's dry heat. austin is very humid. you know when even if you're wearing shorts, you're drenched in sweat like in less than 5 minutes.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezzy32 View Post
I have enjoyed reading what everyone has written (especially SlunkMonky, I eat with chopsticks too) I am considering moving to the Round Rock area (was gung ho for Albuquerque til I found out they have the same weather temps as Long Island, NY...burrr) so I scanned Google maps to find a place warmer now than where I am, parks, airports and close to a city without living in one.

I have heard everyone mention its hot...Good, my bones and muscles need that (no, Im not that old!) I don't mind some humidity or rain but the way the posts sound its as if it were FL. Does it rain a lot? More than east coast NY? Is it more humid than east coast NY? I saw one post where a man found it uncomfortable to ride his motorbike because of humidity. I just obtained my license and want to ride (thats also why I am looking into Round Rock...curvy roads, less traffic)

Is there more rainy days than sun? When it does rain (I get the thunderstorms, kinda looking forward to seeing one) will it rain for WEEKS or just a couple days then sun again?

I've heard about the electric companies (here we only have one and they are out of control!!!), which one should I choose. Someone said to watch out which electric company you get.

I think that I'm a pretty friendly person so I would like to be around more friendly people. I have lived in NY for 15yrs and my neighbors stay to themselves. If I make them Xmas cookies they look afraid (I live in low crime area). Also, when they drive by and see you (my family waves) they look straight ahead like they don't see you. All cashiers here don't look at you. They check their cell phones while your trying to pay (I have even held out my money and had to wait with money in air while they finished texting or checking for texts) or they are yelling 3 lanes down about who did what, who cheated on who and how wasted they got last wkend or want to get this wkend. INSANE...I WANT OUT PLEASE..

everyones help is appreciated. Thank you.
Much more sun than rain. Some people consider it humid but when we first moved here from Newport, RI in June of 1999, it seemed downright dry. My sister visited from Wenatchee, Washington (arid region) and complained about humidity so it depends what your reference point is.

People are much friendlier here than other places we've lived: Seattle, the Northeast, CA. People make eye contact, cashiers tell you to have a nice day and most seem like they actually mean it. Occasionally you get rude customer service, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

As with any change in locale, it takes a while to get your bearings and establish deep friendships. We've been back now for three years and it took us a couple of years to find our niche but we really love it here and can't imagine moving or living anywhere else. We really feel like part of a community here.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM

48 posts, read 100,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezzy32 View Post

I think that I'm a pretty friendly person so I would like to be around more friendly people. I have lived in NY for 15yrs and my neighbors stay to themselves. If I make them Xmas cookies they look afraid (I live in low crime area). Also, when they drive by and see you (my family waves) they look straight ahead like they don't see you. All cashiers here don't look at you. They check their cell phones while your trying to pay (I have even held out my money and had to wait with money in air while they finished texting or checking for texts) or they are yelling 3 lanes down about who did what, who cheated on who and how wasted they got last wkend or want to get this wkend. INSANE...I WANT OUT PLEASE..

everyones help is appreciated. Thank you.
All of that is a big reason I moved here. Ive met Austinites who went up to NY or PA for work and just can't stand it for everything you just said. For example, I went home to Scranton to visit family and walked into a state store (liquor store) too get some wine for dinner. The guy checked my ID, saw it was texas and was like "Oh did your house burn down?" because the Bastrop fires were national news. I just looked at the guy and said "what if it did?" Then he started talking about how there are furry black ants in texas and that's awful. I was just dumbfounded. The guy was probably 45 and had no personality or social skills whatsoever, working in a liquor store convinced Scranton must be better than Texas lol. Good for him, I'd need to have some pious delusions and a whole bunch of wine to get by up there too.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody say anything about their electric company so I wouldn't worry about it too much, they must all be ok. Although a rate hike for Austin Electric is supposed to be on the way. Try to obtain a letter from your current company before you move stating that you always pay on time in full. If you have that you won't have to pay a security deposit to Austin's utilities. However, I don't know if Round Rock does that up there. We had that issue in Austin but since our old utility would provide us a letter we just had them fax it over and we didn't have to pay anything but our bills.

If you want to ride a motorcycle here, keep in mind crawling in traffic in a car is bad enough. I don't know Round Rock traffic but I've scootered places in the PM rush in Austin and damn,,, it was taxing even with no clutch. So much putting my feet down my thighs got chaffed just to go to a store up north.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
And we are happy to have the rain.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunkmonky View Post
All of that is a big reason I moved here. Ive met Austinites who went up to NY or PA for work and just can't stand it for everything you just said. For example, I went home to Scranton to visit family and walked into a state store (liquor store) too get some wine for dinner. The guy checked my ID, saw it was texas and was like "Oh did your house burn down?" because the Bastrop fires were national news. I just looked at the guy and said "what if it did?" Then he started talking about how there are furry black ants in texas and that's awful. I was just dumbfounded. The guy was probably 45 and had no personality or social skills whatsoever, working in a liquor store convinced Scranton must be better than Texas lol. Good for him, I'd need to have some pious delusions and a whole bunch of wine to get by up there too.
With all due respect, Scranton is to PA what Beaumont is to Texas. Neither is exactly the crown jewel of their state.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 30,699 times
what part of Round Rock would be a good place to live? I looked on google maps and cant seem to see where would be good.

okay, also to let you know I'm getting a tinsy bit worried about the traffic. If I lived in RR and had to go into Austin (even around the fringes for a job) how long would it really take? Where I am now in morning traffic it will take me an hour to go 35 miles. Heading back home sometimes 1 hr 20min. just because people don't want to merge correctly or they go slow in the fast lane.

I have to say, I sure do look forward to nicer people, not rushing around at 100 mph in life and just simply enjoying life. My friend keeps asking me if I'm sure I want to move out of NY and no question about it YES.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
From Round Rock to downtown can take 20 minutes or it can take an hour depending on what's going on with traffic.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
Quote:
Yes, we've had rain this week. Now check out the other 51 weeks in the past year. It's always good to cherry pick statistics to "prove" your point.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM

370 posts, read 999,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Yes, we've had rain this week. Now check out the other 51 weeks in the past year. It's always good to cherry pick statistics to "prove" your point.
Exactly, I've only been here a few years, and relative to the North East
it has been drier than Hell here.

NY/CT summer is like a sauna, litterally start to sweat from head
to toe just by walking outside.
The only relief there is that it's only like that about 6-8 weeks,
and you get in between breaks with heavy rain, cool things down here
and there, but still humid.

I don't find the heat here bad, but its steady here for like 4 months straight, no breaks.
If heat bothers you, I could see where it would grind on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin