Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times

Advertisements

so after a report of a possible gun (most likely no gun in reality) the principal locks down the school and proceeds to panic over the school intercom...panting heavy and scaring the crap out of the kids. then the kids call their parents, and the helicopters proceed to also freak out and go up to the school hang out on 620. I'm sure this just made the whole situation a giant clusterf&@k and endangered the helicopters more than anything that was actually going on at the school...

the principal is an idiot and the helicopters are an embarrassment to our society...

get a grip ppl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Hmmm.....

I don't know what the principal said over the intercom, but I have a child at LT high school. The report was of a person in the middle school school with a gun and a box. If it had been true, that meant a gunman was in the school. Any responsible school administrator would have sounded the alarm and put the school on lockdown.

So they locked down the high school, which adjoins the middle school. Law enforcement reacted immediately and thoroughly investigated. Multiple sweeps through each hallway, classroom, and with dogs.

Serious response? Yup. I don't question it. Not sure what you thought should have been done. Did you want a principal to get on the intercom and say "there might be a gunman running around but we don't think there really is. go about your business but be careful."

??

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 AM

my daughter goes to lth too. the principal panicked over the intercom, which scared the kids and brought the helicopters up to the school...making a confusing situation even worse...

I could just imagine the captain of that airliner that landed in the hudson freaking out like that. pol would have died. luckily none of the helicopters didn't get run down on 620...

Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
These are the times my friends. People are edgy and easily panic'd and would rather call in the police, swat and the helicopters then make a "bad call" and not.

It's happening all over though, not just here.
The Swat Team got called in at a GA university because a student had an "old fashioned" umbrella and someone thought it was a rifle.

In MA, the Swat Team swarmed a mall looking for a man with a rifle..yet another umbrella.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm not talking about the swat thing...which is typical for our post 911/columbine wimpy society. it's the principals reaction over the intercom and the dumbo helicopters just making the situation worse. what do these parents think they are going to do at the locked down school? Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 12-13-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Keep it PG-13 please.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
I'm not talking about the swat thing...which is typical for our post 911/columbine wimpy society. it's the principals reaction over the intercom and the dumbo helicopters just making the situation worse. what do these parents think they are going to do at the locked down school?
Could have been the first time that ever happened to that principal.
Being educated in what to do is different than actually having to do it "for real".

I was in an AISD school when they had a lockdown. All they said over the intercom was for the teachers to lock the door and stay away from the windows. They never said what the situation was and the campus had police cars all over. Two hours later they "de-lockdowned" and still never said what happened. I found out the next day from a teacher that there was a suspected gun on the campus but they never actually found any gun.

Last edited by Bo; 12-13-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 AM

that's the way it should be handled...not freak out galore. she should be reprimanded or something...

Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
that's the way it should be handled...not freak out galore. she should be reprimanded or something...
Reprimanded? Because she didn't handle it perfectly?

How about the district simply review their handling of the situation and retrain as necessary?

Your earlier post suggests the principal's announcement brought the helicopters. I think you know when there was a reasonable suspicion that a gunman was on the grounds a good way to find him/her is from the air. So helicopters are reasonable.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Is the OP referring to the parents as "helicopters"? That's what I inferred as in "the helicopter parents" converging on the school.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM

yeah the parent heli freaks. lol what are you weirdos doing across the street? talk about getting in the way of swat if a situation actually occurred. is swat trained to kill helicopters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: