Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 23,457 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I just received an offer to work at the University of Texas - Austin. I am wondering what would be the best area/place to live commute wise. I am a 27 year old single man, moving by myself. I'd like my own apartment, what can I expect to spend? I'm looking for an area with a lot going on, ideally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
You have tons of great options.

Closest to the university, more neighborhood-like: Hyde Park and Rosedale. There is always stuff going on near the university, and Hyde Park will be right there next to it. You can find some pretty run-down cheap stuff in Hyde Park... maybe even as cheap as $650-750 for a studio on the fringe of the neighborhood. But it will be very crappy. Expect $1200 for something nice, or a 2 bedroom.

More bars and restaurants a little farther away? Try downtown. Less of a range there, but approx $1200+ is probably a safe bet for a 1br.

Want to be in the hipster mecca? Try South Congress. Fun location. Even farther away from the university, but still bike commute distance (although it's not fun to ride on some of those busy streets). More of a range like Hyde Park, but there is some decent middle-of-the road stuff that's not too crappy and would likely be in the $800 range. Again, though, if you want something new and fancy it would be $1200 range.

Want to be in the REAL hipster mecca (what SoCo used to be): Go to Central East Austin (78702 zip). Have to put up with a bit more crime and transitional neighborhoods, but housing is cheaper and it's a bit closer to UT than SoCo. Lots of small art galleries and interesting clubs and restaurants. Mix of traditionally hispanic culture being pushed out by urban pioneers. Practically zero chain stores. No idea what the price range is, but I'm sure it varies wildly.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You have tons of great options.

Closest to the university, more neighborhood-like: Hyde Park and Rosedale. There is always stuff going on near the university, and Hyde Park will be right there next to it. You can find some pretty run-down cheap stuff in Hyde Park... maybe even as cheap as $650-750 for a studio on the fringe of the neighborhood. But it will be very crappy. Expect $1200 for something nice, or a 2 bedroom.

More bars and restaurants a little farther away? Try downtown. Less of a range there, but approx $1200+ is probably a safe bet for a 1br.

Want to be in the hipster mecca? Try South Congress. Fun location. Even farther away from the university, but still bike commute distance (although it's not fun to ride on some of those busy streets). More of a range like Hyde Park, but there is some decent middle-of-the road stuff that's not too crappy and would likely be in the $800 range. Again, though, if you want something new and fancy it would be $1200 range.

Want to be in the REAL hipster mecca (what SoCo used to be): Go to Central East Austin (78702 zip). Have to put up with a bit more crime and transitional neighborhoods, but housing is cheaper and it's a bit closer to UT than SoCo. Lots of small art galleries and interesting clubs and restaurants. Mix of traditionally hispanic culture being pushed out by urban pioneers. Practically zero chain stores. No idea what the price range is, but I'm sure it varies wildly.
Wow, thanks for the response! What would you personally recommend? I'd like a place within walking distance to some bars, restaurants, live music. $1200 a month is about what I plan/expect to spend.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
You might like the Triangle it's close to downtown and UT

Triangle Austin Austin Apartments | Apartments in Austin, TX

Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
Any chance you play hockey? We have quite a few hockey players from the Boston area living in Austin and they might be able to help you also (and they can understand you when you speak - wicked accent!).

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes8491 View Post
Wow, thanks for the response! What would you personally recommend? I'd like a place within walking distance to some bars, restaurants, live music. $1200 a month is about what I plan/expect to spend.
Good question. Its been about a decade and a half since I've been your age, so I'm really not the best person to ask (although I'm from Providence originally, so not too far off! Be ready for some serious culture shock, treat this as an adventure).

I guess I'd probably pick Hyde Park initially due to it's connection to the university culture and reasonable walkability. But you will be living around some students.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Any chance you play hockey? We have quite a few hockey players from the Boston area living in Austin and they might be able to help you also (and they can understand you when you speak - wicked accent!).
Haha, no I don't play hockey. I am a huge hockey fan, though.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Good question. Its been about a decade and a half since I've been your age, so I'm really not the best person to ask (although I'm from Providence originally, so not too far off! Be ready for some serious culture shock, treat this as an adventure).

I guess I'd probably pick Hyde Park initially due to it's connection to the university culture and reasonable walkability. But you will be living around some students.
I had read that Hyde Park can be brutal if you are at a complex with a bunch of noisy college kids. I want a great social life in Austin, but I also don't need to be kept up all night, haha. I'm *thinking* SoCal area. Thoughts??

Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,125 times
Quote:
I had read that Hyde Park can be brutal if you are at a complex with a bunch of noisy college kids. I want a great social life in Austin, but I also don't need to be kept up all night, haha. I'm *thinking* SoCal area. Thoughts??
Honestly, the best social life setting will be downtown. Of course rentals are more expensive the closer you get to downtown. South Congress, South First and South Lamar would all be good streets to look around, but I wouldn't go much further south than Oltorf (or thereabouts). The further away from downtown you get, the further away you'll be for commuting and going out.

Also, definitely consider the 78702 zip code, the closer to I35 the better (in that it's closer to downtown). It's where I settled. It's definitely the best price-to-proximity-to-downtown ratio you'll find. Don't worry about all the talk of hipsters- they're not nearly as common as reported and generally harmless.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that you meant the SoCo area and you could easily come across the same issues that you're worried about in SoCo with noise and people walking around making noise at night. The nice thing about Hyde Park since you're working at UT is that you can ride the UT Shuttle to work for free as it's on the shuttle route and you wouldn't have to worry about parking. Hyde Park has more graduate students/faculty and less noisy undergrads. West Campus is where the majority of the noisy undergrad housing is (or Riverside, but you'll definitely want to stay away from there). But, as the poster above stated, if you can find an acceptable 1 bedroom place downtown in your price range, that would probably be the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin