Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM

152 posts, read 766,927 times

Advertisements

We want to move to a small town somewhere around Austin, maybe Elgin. But we're concerned about flooding we've heard about resulting from gulf hurricanes. Also the terrible fires recently, i.e., Bastrop. Really appreciate anyone's comments about the dangers and frequency of fire and flood in these areas. Also south of Austin where we'd ultimately like to relocate. THANKS in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
We want to move to a small town somewhere around Austin, maybe Elgin. But we're concerned about flooding we've heard about resulting from gulf hurricanes. Also the terrible fires recently, i.e., Bastrop. Really appreciate anyone's comments about the dangers and frequency of fire and flood in these areas. Also south of Austin where we'd ultimately like to relocate. THANKS in advance !
You left out pestilence and famine.

We are too far north for real hurricane flooding. There are areas that do flood if it rains hard but they are marked as being in a flood plain.

Fires - there is not really anyway to measure the risk from them. The fires this year are the first major ones I have heard of since I moved here in 97. I would be inclined to not make a decision based on the risk of fire.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Central Texas is subject to occasionally violent weather. I mean severe thunderstorms and occasionally tornadoes. We are also in a severe drought. Gulf hurricanes do not really impact us except with heavy rain from the outer band of a hurricane, if it is on a trajectory that takes it toward us. Houston is another story.

Flooding occurs during some of these storms, but as you might expect flooding is a problem in low lying areas or areas next to streams, rivers, and some lakes. Flooding should not be a worry for the vast majority of people in this area. Just search for a flood plain map. You would also learn something by learning what kind of home insurance a property has.

The fires this year were incredible and I have seen nothing like them since moving to this area in 1984.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
"Download the USA Weather Chart – showing Texas has the most severe weather in the country – with exposure to nine different types of natural disasters – the most among any state in the country."

Texas Weather Losses

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
And then there's the flooding...

Flash Floods | Reeling from Hermine in Central Texas | KXAN.com

Austin, Texas "One of the most flood-prone regions in North America"

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
That last link has an excellent fire and flood hazard map for Austin. http://www.floodsafety.com/media/pdf...COAHazards.pdf

Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM

471 posts, read 1,606,779 times
As someone into geology and atmospheric issues, I always wanted to be around when the Perdernales River experienced one of its infamous super-fast flash floods. One minute you're looking at a wimpy dribble, then a few minutes later...... Though the drought must be making this a pretty rare event lately.

I've visited the river, and there are warning signs posted about this danger, with before & after pics for the doubters, though just looking at all that bare rock where the river course is located should make anyone question why it's so bare! Btw there's before/after videos on Youtube showing all this.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
I have said this before here - I have seen Lake Travis rise 1 1/2 feet in one hour, 9 feet in a day, and 23 feet in a weekend. That is a staggering amount of water.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:52 PM

152 posts, read 766,927 times
Thanks everybody for your help. Really appreciate it !!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,193,739 times
It doesn't matter where you live your going to have some type of weather problem. If you live in a low lying area you would experience flooding. But I prefer the weather here to snow. I don't know about Elgin but most homes that I have seen, yards are elevated so they drain if there is a problem in that area. We have an indoor courtyard so we have a sump pump and the water goes put thru a drainage system under the house to the other side underground. When you go to buy talk to the neighbors, look at the foundation and check the flood plain map. Our area says my house is in a flood plain its never flooded. But we do live near a lake. I have family that live near close by their houses aren't in a flood plain so go figure not sure why. The fires can happen anywhere especially in a drought situation thankfully we are getting alot of rain which will help our our drought . Good luck on your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: