Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:39 PM

122 posts, read 405,989 times

Advertisements

Check out this website: HomeOwners for Better Building - Home

There's lot of info regarding various Austin builders. It appears that, if you don't see the builder's name on the site, they don't have problems reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM

575 posts, read 2,489,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub77cub View Post
Check out this website: HomeOwners for Better Building - Home

There's lot of info regarding various Austin builders. It appears that, if you don't see the builder's name on the site, they don't have problems reported.

I think I will probably "lose" about 100 hours to that site. I say "lose" in jest because some of it is simply concerning. One interesting website is devoted to a builder in Hutto. There are two sides to every story, but builder in question really is just giving many the silent treatment as explained in mainstream local press articles sited. Also, their contract requires arbitration, like many companies these days, so the poor folks cannot easily sue for redress. What a nice site though.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,838 times
Default Think twice before you think Lennar

I recommended you see these stories before you buy Lennar... go to huttoparke.com

Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
The people in HuttoParke are up in arms still. I just went by there a few days ago, and people are still sitting out in front with picket signs.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,226,250 times
All builders have good and bad stories. Before you buy a home by a certain builder, walk in the homes that are already partially constructed. When you are building have you or someone else walk through the home regularly. Blue taping during the construction process makes a big difference in the end product. I also take the square out to ensure corners are at 90 degrees. It is amazing how often they are out of square.

That being said, there are certain builders I would never ever ever buy a home from for myself. I can list the builders I would buy from - Wilshire, Highland, Streetman, Pulte, Ryland, and Standard Pacific. There are some builders I have not had an experience with, so I have no opinion.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-29-2007 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,291,926 times
Make sure insulation and caulking are above standards if not your electric bill will be out the roof. Ask any person who has a home built in Buda-Kyle or Manchaca.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,411,371 times
One word, inspector. I feel for you Hutto folks but do it the right way from the beginning and hire your OWN inspector.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
IMO Lennar pulled a fast one with the "non expansive" soil document. How did that one get past the Hutto inspectors I wonder...or the city council when they reviewed their plat and building documents ????

When Hutto took off..the homes went up fast and furious up there and folks rushed to get the cheap housing ( I mean dollar cheap as Hutto was a nothing town and lots of folks could qualify for the low mortgages).

Land east of I35 is heavy clay soil...you need engineered foundations out there.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
Ours (foundation) hasn't given us any problems. But I don't have a lennar, which tends to throw houses up pretty fast. I have a legacy, and I did notice that they put the foundations in a different way than say, dr horton, here. It seems like some of them just pour the concrete above ground in a form or something, then build the house. I really know nothing about how foundations are laid, but I do know ours is done differently.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 48,521 times
I do not recommend Standard Pacific. I bought one and was VERY unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin