Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezerboat View Post
I hate to be the one to bust some of your bubbles, but... I am a public High school teacher. I teach higher level math classes at one of the better Austin area suburb schools. I have one or two kids new every year that had been in private schools up to the year I see them (usually Brentwood). And I have, in almost all occassion, had none come in prepared for the rigor and the competiveness of my particular school. I can not remember any even passing my class for about half a year. Of course they are usually really good kids with good parents and with a lot of hard work, they can catch up. But most have to drop down a level in course work. I just had a kid drop from PreCal this week to Algebra 2. I am sure people think that they are spending all that money for private school for a "better" education. What they really get is a sub par education, and they hide their kids from the realities of the world.
No offense, but those students you mention probably couldn't handle the classes at their private schools and flunked out. Private schools don't have to invite anyone back, so guess where they end up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Irregardless of whether someone is in Private or Public school, or drops from Private and ends up in public school, at least they are in school.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
I think it depends on the Private School. I've heard some are academically not as good (Brentwood) and some are excellent and perhaps even more difficult than public school (Regents). However I don't have experience in either. I just think that for someone to say 'If you send your kids to private school they will not be getting as good of an education as they would in public school' is too vague of a statement and needs to be backed up with specifics, about what kids the schools were from, and why they stopped going there. (Like someone pointed out, it could be because they couldn't keep their grades up there.)

Also I've heard that St. Andrews is pretty good.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I think it depends on the Private School. I've heard some are academically not as good (Brentwood) and some are excellent and perhaps even more difficult than public school (Regents). However I don't have experience in either. I just think that for someone to say 'If you send your kids to private school they will not be getting as good of an education as they would in public school' is too vague of a statement and needs to be backed up with specifics, about what kids the schools were from, and why they stopped going there. (Like someone pointed out, it could be because they couldn't keep their grades up there.)

Also I've heard that St. Andrews is pretty good.
Exactly...and I am impressed that the OP is clear about what they want. Lots of people will say they want a 'private school' education, but aren't specific about how religious they want it to be, or what type of religion. They can be very unpleasantly surprised. I also agree that not all private schools are the same...there are great private and public schools and not so great ones. I give public school teachers a lot of credit, they often get the kids who couldn't cut it in private schools, behavior, academics, whatever.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 20,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Or how about a private school that encourages critical thinking and exposure to all ideas instead of one that creates a little stepford kid?
To both you and the previous poster, I would suggest Trinity Episcopal School in Westlake Hills. It's a K-8 school that's only nine years old, created by a group of people who realized that St. Andrew's wasn't ever going to be able to accommodate all the Austin families who are looking for a rigorous Episcopal education with a strong "whole child" component. Diversity is one of Trinity's core values, and they work hard to offer competitive financial assistance packages and to offer a curriculum that honors different perspectives and belief systems. The emphasis is on independent thought rather than on rote learning, and the kids graduate and go on to high school at St. Andrew's, St. Stephen's, St. Michael's, and boarding schools across the country.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM

147 posts, read 695,633 times
Thanks for sayin it Breezer! While some people probably did okay at the Little Lord Fauntleroy academy, most folks would probably be shocked at what passes as private schools and teachers round some parts.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,338 times
Is there such a thing as a conservative private school without the religious affiliation?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstinnett View Post
Is there such a thing as a conservative private school without the religious affiliation?
Short answer: no. In large part because the term "conservative" tends to denote "conservative Christian" and because of the "classical school" movement which is also Christian-based (and from a conservative protestant christian tradition as well, Regents, Veritas, City School).

Historically, there have been very few private schools in Austin without some sort of religious affiliation. Austin Waldorf is probably the oldest, non-religious private school in town but it probably wouldn't fit your "conservative" definition. (But maybe it would, very rigorous no-TV program that families have to sign on to).

You need to think harder (or express better here) what exactly you mean by conservative, then folks can help you. There have been many threads here that deal with this topic, the very lengthy one on Regents school has some very thoughtful responses.

If you want rigorous academics with diverse and tolerant religious flavor then the episcopal schools should suit (St. Andrews, Trinity, St. Stephans). St. Francis School has almost no religious content and very diverse students. ACE Academy and Morgan Academy are newer, secular schools with strong academics but not as long of a track record. There is Huntington-Surrey and Paragon Prep for middle grades, they are secular. Catholic schools require theology classes but they also have a tradition of welcoming those from other faiths.

It all depends on what your family needs.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
To the original poster, i am looking for that as well. I think its Regent or its Homeschooling, but i will check it out and see for you.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,033 times
Regents, Veritas, City School, Redeemer, etc. As another poster pointed out, there is a correlation between Christian schools and staying traditional and classic/ classical in the model of your school. Other schools for whatever reason you ascribe it to, are not conservative at all. I don't know why that happened but it did. Several decades ago, you could find a private school that was conservative (stuck to tried and true methods of teaching in the past) but nowadays, the non-Christian private schools (and liberal nominally 'Christian' schools) are politically correct, progressive, liberal, etc. Make of it what you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin