Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

City's vision beginning to bloom for 2nd Street District

Pretty impressive for an area measuring less than 18 acres and that only really began developing less than a decade ago. The extra sales and property taxes generated here will be used throughout Austin. Yes, the prices of goods and services are too high for many in the Austin area but that is not the point and it represents what is demanded in this specialized sub-market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Impressive indeed if you remember what was there before! Half-empty warehouses and a city services building from before the war (WWII). I remember when they took it down 12 years ago. The transformation is incredible!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 AM

215 posts, read 351,143 times
Look at the types of businesses being brought to the area. Not one is anything any one needs, wants yes, needs no. The grocery store is even going to be wasting space. I want to buy my groceries not have to deal with more people in a boutique store. More people. What a waste.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
Look at the types of businesses being brought to the area. Not one is anything any one needs, wants yes, needs no. The grocery store is even going to be wasting space. I want to buy my groceries not have to deal with more people in a boutique store. More people. What a waste.
I have to agree - I STOPPED going downtown when it started doing what some call "maturing". Used to go there all the time for a variety of things (that didn't occur in half-empty warehouses, by the way), from shopping to attending movies or events at the paramount to a number of other activities.

It's lost any appeal it might have had for me and a lot of other people. Sad, that.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM

No businesses or even groups of businesses, like malls, will appeal to all demographics. That is the nature of the free market and consumerism and just b/c it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it doesn't serve its purpose. And I take issue with "needs" in that use. An $800 bookshelf from a high end furniture store DT serves the sames needs as a wobbly $80 one from IKEA. The point is that people living downtown rarely have to venture outside it if they work there AND the area serves as an economic engine that benefits the larger community. DT has entertainment (3 movie theaters if you include the Paramount) plus the music venues - check; grocery stores (Royal Blues and Whole Foods) and farmer's market - check; household goods - some but not all; restaurants - check; services (laundry, banks, RX, etc.) - check; civic (libraries, parks, trails, etc.) - check; events - too many to list, check.

I think those who do not appreciate the area should try to look at it through the eyes of those that do. Not everyone has or even wants 2 pets, 3 kids, 4 cars, and 5 bedrooms. There are many different lifestyles out there and the younger generation probably doesn't want what its parents wanted if history is any guide.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Please old timers have some cheese with that WHINE. Austin now has the most viable residential downtown in the state. (Sad to hear that the Houston Pavilions in downtown Houston are about to go belly-up). In Austin, the good old places are still there and doing better than they have ever done (The Paramount, Esther's Follies etc), but there are now dozens more venues (the Violet Crown, ACL etc). Ditto for restaurants. The truly crap ones like Katz's have gone out of business. For me, Las Manitas is the only casualty. Ten years ago, downtown Austin was offices and an entertainment district full of parking lots and half abandoned warehouses - it was not really livable. Build 'em high, pack 'em in. 67% of the new businesses in the 2nd street district are local. The city has strong historic building preservation provisions - the Capitol view corridors are being respected. The loss of free street parking in the evenings feels to me a very small price to pay for the all the amenities, vitality of a thriving downtown, never mind the enormous tax revenues generated, that will benefit the whole city, not just downtown. Nostalgic for a half-abandoned, unwalkable, street-level retail free, full of surface parking lots downtown, drive to Houston or Dallas for the evening.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
No businesses or even groups of businesses, like malls, will appeal to all demographics. That is the nature of the free market and consumerism and just b/c it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it doesn't serve its purpose. And I take issue with "needs" in that use. An $800 bookshelf from a high end furniture store DT serves the sames needs as a wobbly $80 one from IKEA. The point is that people living downtown rarely have to venture outside it if they work there AND the area serves as an economic engine that benefits the larger community. DT has entertainment (3 movie theaters if you include the Paramount) plus the music venues - check; grocery stores (Royal Blues and Whole Foods) and farmer's market - check; household goods - some but not all; restaurants - check; services (laundry, banks, RX, etc.) - check; civic (libraries, parks, trails, etc.) - check; events - too many to list, check.

I think those who do not appreciate the area should try to look at it through the eyes of those that do. Not everyone has or even wants 2 pets, 3 kids, 4 cars, and 5 bedrooms. There are many different lifestyles out there and the younger generation probably doesn't want what its parents wanted if history is any guide.
What are the three movie theatres downtown?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz, Violet Crown and the Paramount.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz, Violet Crown (which offers validated parking); and Paramount (Summer Series only).

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I'm nostalgic for many things (Les Amis -- my heart is still broken over that) but definitely not old 2nd street. That odd brick facade to designate "City Hall" on news reports, the huge, drafty City Services building (you will not find a single City employee who misses that), the empty lots . . . the amazing thing it that "Old Downtown" was essentially Congress Avenue itself (and pictures from the 50s and 60s look amazing -- if you are white, it was segregated then) and now downtown has expanded and brought new people, new tax revenue, and new energy to the area. There was not much to recommend downtown in the early 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin