Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times

Advertisements

It would help, too, if people would stop encouraging panhandlers. It seems like every time I'm at a stoplight and see a panhandler, there's at least one person who actually gives the panhandler money. If people want to really help the homeless, donate to an organization like ARCH or Caritas.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
It would help, too, if people would stop encouraging panhandlers. It seems like every time I'm at a stoplight and see a panhandler, there's at least one person who actually gives the panhandler money. If people want to really help the homeless, donate to an organization like ARCH or Caritas.
True. I never give money. A couple of Christmas seasons, I've carried ziplocs with food in them around to hand out, and one memorable occasion took a cheeseburger to someone who had it on their sign, and on another took a cup of hot chocolate to someone (and gave her a couple of tips on finding employment, which she was seeking), but never money. It's possible to be human and compassionate without being enabling.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,683 times
so there some of y'all that would rather see me dead than walking past your car I'm not asking for your money.
I'm asking for help and food how bout you starve for a week and tell me you wouldn't do the same.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Nah, I would go to a food line somewhere, or get food stamps.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM

and as for the Arch, I'm a recovering drug addict do I rally need to go any were near that place?
No I like being a sober me and plan to keep it that way. which mean I don't need the temptations.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM

for an abod mail food stamps only last 3 months before they cut you of and the food you get at a pantry dissent last that long and for some of us getting to a feeding means having to take a bus.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
Man, so many here only like constitutional rights when it serves them.

99.9% of These folks have never bothered anybody. 99.9% of just have sign and walk by your car.

in fact in my neighborhood (Mcneil&183) There are a bunch there. I have walked by them at late night multitudes of times they have never ever bothered me and if they ask me for money they are always satisfied with I don't have anything on me.

I can see why businesses downtown don't like these fellows sleeping at their doorway. but really how are they hurting us by standing at the corner of Street.

Is it ideal? no.

But as society are we really committed to dedicate a host of resources to retrains these folks and enter them into back into society? Hello no.

so let's at least make sure we don't make life extra difficult on them.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I don't think anything beats LA as far as homeless (there are tent cities that spring up at night in the major sectors), but I was shocked to see many in small city austin.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
True. I never give money. A couple of Christmas seasons, I've carried ziplocs with food in them around to hand out, and one memorable occasion took a cheeseburger to someone who had it on their sign, and on another took a cup of hot chocolate to someone (and gave her a couple of tips on finding employment, which she was seeking), but never money. It's possible to be human and compassionate without being enabling.
Enabling my fanny. I give them money regardless on what they're going to spend it on. I'm not one to judge. This economy is harsh as hell and people could get stuck into a cycle of poverty that no amount of pull yourself up by your bootstrap attitude can get you out of. If people with jobs are struggling what makes you think people without them aren't in the darkest deepest holes, especially if they have or developed mental problems.

Poverty and homelessness is a structural issue not a matter of personal gumption. That old timey "common sense" attitude toward the problem does not really matter anymore.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler View Post
so there some of y'all that would rather see me dead than walking past your car I'm not asking for your money.
I'm asking for help and food how bout you starve for a week and tell me you wouldn't do the same.
Quote:
and as for the Arch, I'm a recovering drug addict do I rally need to go any were near that place?
No I like being a sober me and plan to keep it that way. which mean I don't need the temptations.
Quote:
for an abod mail food stamps only last 3 months before they cut you of and the food you get at a pantry dissent last that long and for some of us getting to a feeding means having to take a bus.

Well it seems that you know how to use the internet....

I'd be going to google and typing in "entry level jobs in Austin TX"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin