Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Where do you live? This may certainly be the case in Europe but here in the US an au lait (or ole) is as you've described, half coffee and half milk. And the lattes here in the US, is espresso (usually two shots) with milk. It's two different things here, and that's why both of them are on the American menus. Wouldn't make much sense to put two different names to the exact same drink... although asinine companies do the same thing with latte machiattos vs cappucinos. Wanna know what the main difference is between the two? They're simply made on reverse. A capp, you pour the shots and then the milk and then the foam. The machiattos are made by steaming the foam first, then the milk and finally the espresso. It makes no sense but that's America for you. So yes, lattes (at least here in America) suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
You may be correct as a generalization, but you must consider the possibility that maybe some Europeans (or even Americans who have been to Europe) have started coffee shops here in the US and know how to make lattes the "right" way

You also might not be the only one who is/has been a barista Good info though, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
You may be correct as a generalization, but you must consider the possibility that maybe some Europeans (or even Americans who have been to Europe) have started coffee shops here in the US and know how to make lattes the "right" way

You also might not be the only one who is/has been a barista Good info though, thanks!
Lattes being crossed over from European culture has already taken its evolving into being another American spin off. No different from burritos, or nachos, or pizzas. Latte machiattos at starbucks are only made at starbucks.

And this is a fact, not my opinion, but if you go to any other coffee shop that's not starbucks and ask for a latte machiatto be assured that the person taking your order wishes that you didn't exist for that very moment even if they're still smiling at you. Also, don't ever use the words "tall" "venti" or "grande" to ask for your size unless you're at starbucks (no, wait... don't ever use it even if you are at starbucks!) This is why a lot of baristas are considered "snobs" because they somehow give you an attitude when you order your drinks but the customer never bothers to think maybe cause its something he/she said and how they ordered it. I for one, try to be courteous to explain to the customer that "tall" could mean medium, or small or sometimes even large to different customers. So usually the conversation goes like this:

Customer: I'd like a tall latte, please.

Me: Sure! What size?

Customer (puzzled): A uhh... tall.

Me: Small? Medium? Large?

Customer (annoyed): TALL!

Me: Yes, sorry. I'm not always sure what people mean when they say tall but these are our sizes.... (depending on how rude they were, that's when I get a bit snobby, so I show them ever single cup and like explaining to a child I illustrate which cups are the small, medium or larges. And I know that just for a moment logic and reason won!)

Sometimes people realize this and apologize but most times it flies over their heads and assume that every coffee shop uses the same wordings and just ride us off as snobs.

There's that and then most people who go to a coffee shop will think they're keeping to traditions but every place may have their own way of making their lattes. I respected Caffe Medici for so many reasons but mostly because if they were looking for a new hire they wanted them with 0 experience. When I asked them why they said because every coffee shop has the wrong way of making lattes and they wanted to teach baristas how to make gourmet lattes and how to make french press coffees *the right way.

People not understanding this idea because they are so head over heels for starbucks will go to one of these "snobby" coffee shops and ask for a 2% iced-latte, with extra foam, and hazelnut syrup. Places like medici don't do this. And so they will get annoyed and look at you wondering if you have or haven't even looked at the menu because they are actually not trying to be rude explaining to you that they don't serve their lattes with god-knows-what-kinds-of-syrups! But this is America for you.

Did I say I hate lattes? Don't get me wrong. I love my job as a barista and I love making lattes. I can make cute little designs and I know just how to steam the milk. I've never been trained like those guys at medici, or the guys here at Four Barrel, or Blue Bottle in San francisco but I can hang with most of those people. But its the constant asinine modifications that people require in their lattes in order to survive. Its astonishing! The way people order lattes is like an obese little boy crying because their cheeseburger didn't have three layers of cheese. I mean, its probably even worse with how ridiculous people are in making their lattes.

Some lady tried to give me a "lesson" in what 1% milk was. For the record, its half of skim and half of 2% and not skim like the lady was so adament in making me understand. Another thuggish looking dude who seriously thought he was so macho he could whoop anyone's butt ordered for a small latte with 8 pumps of vanilla, whip cream and caramel on top. Then whined like a little girl cause the drink came out to $5. If I owned the place I'd of charged $8 for such a stupid drink! Yes, indeed, my friend. Lattes truly, truly, truly suck... Drink coffee, or roast your own. Coffee is much more simple yet in such a way more poetic, artful and tasty.

It's funny the other person said that it's a very american thing for me to say that lattes suck and coffee is better because I feel I am against everything that is bad about our country in terms of consumerism. If that other person is from Europe, which I assume he/she is, then that person should at least appreciate where I'm coming from. Things may be done differently in Europe and sometimes I wish we were more European because here in America, I feel lattes serve as the epitome of how much we ask, ask, and ask!

But you're right... I may not the only barista but I can quite honestly say I probably work in one of the worst places in America to work as a barista. I work at a kiosk right outside of the 2nd largest retail store in the US (Macy's) in one of the most touristy places of the country (San Francisco, Union Square).

Last edited by migol84; 01-01-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,436 times
I can respect why you feel the way you do about lattes. As well as Starbucks-hate. I make press pot coffee at home, however, as a non-barista I'm still going to enjoy the lattes at Medici and Once Over...the fact that some people don't appreciate coffee or are fussy with their syrups and what-not really has no effect on my enjoyment. And roasting my own beans is most definitely not in my future But I appreciate your insight as a well-traveled and experienced coffee aficionado! I gave my recommendations as someone who is not ignorant but certainly not expert-level like you -- middle of the road

Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I can respect why you feel the way you do about lattes. As well as Starbucks-hate. I make press pot coffee at home, however, as a non-barista I'm still going to enjoy the lattes at Medici and Once Over...the fact that some people don't appreciate coffee or are fussy with their syrups and what-not really has no effect on my enjoyment. And roasting my own beans is most definitely not in my future But I appreciate your insight as a well-traveled and experienced coffee aficionado! I gave my recommendations as someone who is not ignorant but certainly not expert-level like you -- middle of the road
Word! There's nothing wrong with drinking lattes and its not like I look down on people because they like them. I drink them every once in awhile too. I never drank a latte at Once Over but I do like the way Medici makes their lattes. I prefer their cappucinos and sometimes their machiattos with some honey! Slam!! Plus my super cute friend works their! Double slam!! I just get annoyed for those reasons I've offered and the incredibly ridiculous people who order them.

Making your own press pot coffee at home is even better! Hell, I think you're better than I am. I need to start doing that myself. And by no means do I even consider myself an expert as a barista... just an expert at being a rational human being, or middle of the road... kinda... sorta... I hope.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I see europeans every single flippin day at my job and its rare if they order a latte. They always just order espressos with "leetle bit steam meelk" or "hoot cooffeee weeth warm meelk."
I think they're trying to recreate what they can get from coffee shops in Europe. During my few travels there, all of the quick coffee chains would ask you if you wanted your drip or press or Americano coffee black or "white". Even one of the greasy spoons I ate at asked this... White meant they steamed a little milk and added it at no extra charge. It was way better than adding cold milk.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
an au lait would be the same thing as a latte as both refer to coffee with milk but in two different languages...
Not true. An Au Lait is a 1/2 drip coffee mixed with 1/2 steamed milk, while a latte is a shot of espresso served with steamed milk.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I think they're trying to recreate what they can get from coffee shops in Europe. During my few travels there, all of the quick coffee chains would ask you if you wanted your drip or press or Americano coffee black or "white". Even one of the greasy spoons I ate at asked this... White meant they steamed a little milk and added it at no extra charge. It was way better than adding cold milk.
Yup. Or they'll sometimes ask for a "flat white" coffee, which is simply coffee with steamed milk and no foam.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM

308 posts, read 600,238 times
I really love The Coffee Beanery ( Coffee Beanery ~ Flavored Coffee, Specialty Coffee, Coffee Gifts and Coffee Makers ) they have some delicious favored coffee .Star Bucks ain't **** compared to them

Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,779 times
Just a quick FYI: the only coffee drink at Starbuck's that is consistantly enjoyable (to me anyway) is their cafe americano: strong but at the same time smooth, and especially, IMO lacks the burned flavor almost all their drip coffees exhibit.* Just make sure if you order a tall that it contains 2 espresso shots, not 1 like some newbie baristas have given me - otherwise it will be really weak!

BTW I've found that more and more businesses that advertise "premium" coffee sell stuff that to me tastes more like glorified Folgers , in other words, nothing-special coffee that's brewed a little bit stronger than what the Average Joe would make at home using said product. I figured this may be to attract people that aren't really "into" coffee and are freaked out by coffee that has actual flavor and enough strength to cause that "electric" feeling that seems to flow through your limbs a couple minutes after just the first couple of sips.

* I also like their lattes, the only other drink I order there (tall again, 2 shots; sometimes will have them add some hazelnut or caramel flavoring for variety)

Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Pacha on Burnet! MMM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin