Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM

355 posts, read 923,206 times

Advertisements

I drink coffee, my DH doesn't. He's never really had coffee other than the crappy American (e.g. from 7-11) kind, and would like to sample the *good* stuff. I'm really out of touch with where to go these days...

So fabulous Austinites, where are the best places to get coffee? We live near an inconsistent Starbucks, so I'd really like non-chain options.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 PM

34 posts, read 55,376 times
Cafe Java on Metric

Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Ruta Maya, Anderson's and Trianon.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM

24 posts, read 69,562 times
What's an expresso?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Mozart's

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
There's Mozart's on Lake Austin Blvd. or Austin Java

http://www.austinjava.com/

Mozart’s Coffee Roasters, specialty coffee, Austin, Texas - Home

Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
I'm not sure where you live, but Once Over Coffee Bar on S 1st & Live Oak is fantastic...they use local Austin roaster Cuvee, and give discounts for using cash and/or bringing your own mug. My personal faves are Americano's on chilly mornings and Iced Lattes for afternoons like today

The icing on top is a nicely-sized back patio looking out over Bouldin Creek (and guess what! It's FLOWING!!!)

Honorable mention is Summermoon, also on S 1st. Caffe Medici on West Lynn also has great traditional fare, like an excellent cappuccino. IMHO, Austin Java and Mozart's are mediocre.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
In my world of coffee snobbery:

best Cappucino: Medici - The Drag or Clarkesville location: perfection 9 times out of ten
best coffee: The pour-over at Houndstooth (pretentious as all hell, just ignore them and drink their excellent coffee), light, smooth and without a trace of bitterness
best espresso: Many places make a decent espresso, but haven't found anything marvelous yet.

Mozart's is a beautiful place with a lovely view of the river, but I am not a fan of their coffee, barely a notch above Charbucks in my book. Anderson's is very, very good across the board and I also like the Jo's on South Congress and on Second Street for a cup of coffee, cappucinos not so much, but then I like an Italian style of cappucino with the foam under the crema and a resulting pretty pattern - what Australians call a "flat white." What most American places call a cappucino is a basically a a cupofoam, like a bad, milky macchiato with foamed milk plonked on top of the coffee and sprinkled with cocoa or god forbid cinnamon on top to try and disguise the fact that the barista has no clue how to pour.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:45 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Come to San Francisco if you want some real coffee.

But if you're looking for anything as remotely close to SF quality coffee... Cafe Medici is the best bet. I've never even heard of Houndtooth but if their coffee is french press and truly better than Medici's than go for it. In my experience I've never had anything as nearly as good as Medici's french press coffee.

Don't listen to the other recommendations anyone has given. I know what I'm talking about. I'm a barista. It's my job to tell people what is good. So.... listen to me!

Say no to latte's. A wise friend of mine said that the true bohemians left in the world of today are those that drink only coffee. Latte's, americanos, mochas, are all ridiculous things to drink. And don't get me started on latte machiattos. Word.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I also like the Jo's on South Congress and on Second Street for a cup of coffee, cappucinos not so much,
I worked at Jo's on 2nd st for nearly 3 years. Jo's is below average across the board. I taught myself how to make good quality latte's and everybody there never even cared for how to make a good latte.

Ask anybody that works there who remembers me and they will say I made good latte's.... even though I think lattes and cappucino's are a joke. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin