Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,560 times

Advertisements

and also Eanes vs. Lake Travis.

Is West Lake where the richest live and Lakeway where the runners up live?
Why is Eanes rated higher than LT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 PM

319 posts, read 737,056 times
I would think of it a little different. Its all about priorities. I am sure that most people that live in Lakeway/Lake Travis could afford to live in West Lake Hills/Eanes and vice versa. Sure, there are a handful of mega rich types in both areas. But I think that when you get beyond that cohort, not sure that the economics are THAT different.

Knowing many in both areas:

- Our friends in Lakeway/Lake Travis ISD value the views, the topography, hill country, access to Lake, master planned developments with big amenities, great home value for their $$, new custom homes, lot sizes, hill country galleria, a good school district, everything is new, etc.

- Our friends in West Lake Hills/Eanes ISD value reputation of the schools first/foremost, access to downtown, short commutes, close-in, close knit community feel, etc.

These are obviously big generalizations. Just my opinion.

We live in Eanes, but shopped Lakeway/Lake Travis ISD area also. We found that our $$ would have gone much further there in terms of home we could afford. It was very tempting. In the end we have been happy with our decision but I am not sure we could have made a bad/wrong choice. We have many friends out that way that like it a lot.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM

178 posts, read 509,688 times
I concur with the above. I work downtown, so I live in Eanes. End of story. Leaving the office between 5:30 and 6 can take me 25 minutes to get home, and I live very close to downtown. So commute rules all.

That said, I value being close to "everything" generally. I do not have a great view, unfortunately, though at the right price, you can have that here, too.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
I really think this statement is preposterous. It suggests that it is common that people spend their lives striving to live in a specific area or judge their own self worth by where they live. Do you really believe this is true?

Lakeway has a very long history as a retirement and vacation home location. That is one of the reasons it has three golf courses, a big marina, and its own airstrip with runway-front homes. People from Houston, Dallas, etc. would fly into Lakeway to vacation on the lake.

But beginning in the mid-late 1980s it became a viable place for Austinites to live for the lake lifestyle and commute to work. Lots of people in Austin at the time were "central" types and thought it was crazy to live "that far out."

For many, it is pretty remarkable that you can live "on the lake" instead of vacationing there, and still live reasonably close to work.

As for Eanes vs. LTISD, Eanes is an excellent school district and will remain so because of the demographics of its student body. There is no secret formula in Eanes for education. The families are educated, they have money, they demand quality, and the administration performs accordingly. LTISD has changed significantly from a near-rural ISD with one elementary school to a high performance school district that expects to perform at exemplary levels. Its demographics are less homogeneous than Eanes, in particular it has more Hispanics and economically disadvantaged students.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I really think this statement is preposterous. It suggests that it is common that people spend their lives striving to live in a specific area or judge their own self worth by where they live. Do you really believe this is true?
I agree that the OP's question is pretty offensive. I really don't even want to answer it.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
I think if you look at the upper echelons of the socio-economic class, you'll be more likely to find the "ultra rich" in the Westlake Hills versus Lakeway (i.e. the Hollywood celebs and Dell execs).

The main difference is Lakeway has mainly rich Republicans and Westlake Hills has mainly rich Democrats. Of course this is a broad generalization and there are many exceptions.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have to agree; OP, you would be extremely short-sighted to believe this.

We know four wealthy families (not just well-off) and one lives in Tarrytown (kids go to private faith-based) and the other three live in Great Hills, kids of two of those go to the top RRISD schools, those that are on par with Eanes, and the third family sends their kids to private faithed-based.

At least two of these familes are VERY well-connected in and around Austin, aside from being wealthy. There are many well-to-do families in Austin living in places beside West Lake Hills and Lakeway -- many.

Last edited by Idlewile; 01-02-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM

326 posts, read 684,938 times
Eanes is not rated much higher than LTISD anymore. As the years have passed, LT has caught up to Eanes. I think, within the next few years, LT will be at the same level (if not already) as Eanes. I could even say that LT will surpass Eanes.

I can't explain it, but as an alumni of LT High and being able to observe firsthand what LTISD is all about, I will say that the demands, expectations and work ethic of everyone involved in the community is second to none.

There is a reason that LT is so successful in academics as well as extra-curriculars. Everyone in the community demands success and nothing less. It's just a great community to be a part of. As an alumni, I definitely will be sticking around and raising a family here.

In regards to the "rich and runner up" comment, I will say this - both communities have very similar demographics of students and families. Some ultra rich, upper middle and middle. It's just different housing and preferences. Westlake usually involves older, more established neighborhoods and houses. LT, outside of Lakeway proper, usually involves newer homes that are generally bigger (and some with amazing views!)

Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM

319 posts, read 737,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Eanes is not rated much higher than LTISD anymore. As the years have passed, LT has caught up to Eanes. I think, within the next few years, LT will be at the same level (if not already) as Eanes. I could even say that LT will surpass Eanes.

I can't explain it, but as an alumni of LT High and being able to observe firsthand what LTISD is all about, I will say that the demands, expectations and work ethic of everyone involved in the community is second to none.

There is a reason that LT is so successful in academics as well as extra-curriculars. Everyone in the community demands success and nothing less. It's just a great community to be a part of. As an alumni, I definitely will be sticking around and raising a family here.

In regards to the "rich and runner up" comment, I will say this - both communities have very similar demographics of students and families. Some ultra rich, upper middle and middle. It's just different housing and preferences. Westlake usually involves older, more established neighborhoods and houses. LT, outside of Lakeway proper, usually involves newer homes that are generally bigger (and some with amazing views!)
I think that this is right on academics. But to create a balanced view (not being competitive, just pointing out for the OP, since we spend plenty time in both places), there are things that Eanes ISD can offer that LTISD doesnt, beyond academics. We knew the academics were good in both, but we chose Eanes for other reasons. Our life, if we want it to be, can be lived within 3-5 minutes of our house. Schools, parks, businesses, extra-curriculars, everything. Downtown 5-10 minute drive. The only complaint my friends in LTISD have is about the lack of that closeness and community and the commuting/traffic. This may have to do with where they live in some of the master planned communities. It is larger, far more spread out, and as many have pointed out, has a large retirement/lake contingency. I would say (not a factual number) it feels like 95% of the people in West Lake Hills have kids in the Eanes schools. I guess what I am saying is that it is very close knit and convenient. And when we want to get out of the "bubble", we go dowtown to the many amenities and walks of life there.

LTISD vs. Eanes isnt a good/bad thing, both are great, but I do believe that the two are very different environments.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
and also Eanes vs. Lake Travis.

Why is Eanes rated higher than LT?
by income:

78730 (steiner)
78746 (westlake)
78735 (barton creek)

the richest live along the lakes regardless of area

http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/TEXAS.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin