Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times

Advertisements

Next weekend, husband and I are going to go down and rent a boat in Austin (Canoe, kayak, etc) and have a nice lunch. Celebrating our anniversary... wedded bliss, you light up my life - that kind of thing...

Anyway, Any ideas/recommendation for a "nice" (I would like it to be unique to Austin - as we are still newbies and love to get into the cool stuff IN Austin, that makes it Austin) lunch place that we don't have to dress up for, because right after lunch, we are doing the boat thing... AND, for the boat thing... is the boat rental places near the Bat Bridge - pretty much THE place... or are there other options/boating areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM

80 posts, read 346,482 times
Default How about on Lake Travis

There is a recreational boat place next to Carlos N Charlies where you can rent a motor boat but it is on the Lake Travis side. Then you can dock onto Carlos N Charlies or go to Johnny Fins for a nice lunch. Since you are coming for your anniversary, may I suggest that you check out Lake Austin Spa (on Quinlan Park Rd) and reserve a couples massage package? There you get a private room with your own hot tub and you can spend the day in there and be in zen mode. The Spa is located near Lake Austin and it is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
Places to dine on or near the water (broken link)

We go to Cafe Blue for our anniversaries...its at Sandy Creek Marina. We usually go right at sunset so don't know how it is at lunch, though.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
If you're looking for a canoe or kayak on Town Lake, I would suggest Zilker Park Boat Rentals. We have our own canoe but have canoed past this place often. It's on the spring-fed portion of the lake so canoeing out to the open lake from there is really neat. You can see all the plants in the water and the fish and turtles and stuff cause it's really clear. It kind of looks like an underwater city. You'll probably encounter the swans too and their big, but still brown, babies.

For a nice lunch I would recommend Enoteca Vespaio. It's on South Congress so not far from Zilker. Parking isn't always easy but just find something fairly close. Walking on South Congress is always fun! I wouldn't worry about how you're dressed. If possible, I would make it an early or late lunch just to avoid the crowds.

I hope you have a great time, and Happy Anniversary.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Lake Austin would be the best for canoing or kayaking. I'd be scared to death to canoe on Travis, unless it was way off the beaten path. However, we do like to go to Carlos N' Charlies and Shades is a tiny little place on the water as well. You can feed the catfish, and some of them are HUGE! Austin Travelers plan sounds pretty romantic though. I want to do that on my anniversary now...

Happy Anniversary!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:01 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
There are at least 3 canoe/kayak rental places around Ladybird lake. I've used the one by Zilker -- if you've ever taken the kids to the Zephyr, it's just E along the tracks past the Barton Springs pool, they usually have a big banner sign. Cheap and easy rentals (although I could have sworn our canoe was taking in water ... nothing serious, though). Then there is the Rowing Dock off Stratford drive, W of the parking for the botanical gardens / running trail under the south side of Mopac. This looks the nicest. You'd exit at Rollingwood/Westlake off Mopac, then under the bridge to Barton Springs road, then left at Zilker/Stratford Drive. Proceed past the parking under the bridge and it's on the right a little ways. Then there is the "Bat Bridge" (Congress) place which I've never used. There is also the youth hostel/rental place off lakeshore, not certain that they are still renting since the incident earlier this summer (rented to 2 girls when the lake was closed).

You've probably already googled it, but here is a list that contains the ones within the park : City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Concession Contracts

... and here's another vote for Enoteca Vespaio. I love that place. They have an anchovy / caper pizza that is wonderful if you are a somewhat daring diner. The Enoteca (Wine Bar) is more casual than the restaurant itself, but hey -- it's Austin -- you still can wear whatever you want.

Happy anniversary.

Last edited by atxcio; 09-01-2007 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin