Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 14,702 times

Advertisements

People drive like **** here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 PM

47 posts, read 73,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
...ok, I haven't read ALL 33+ pages of this thread, but I'll dare to put my opine out there (while donning my flame retardant suit). The worst thing about Austin: is it's obsession with youth.

I think this has a lot to do with the presence of UT and this dominates the culture/atmosphere. The internet startups play a large role as well. I do also think that as Austin grows, this influence on the culture will subside. It will continue to be a large part of Austin, but it will be just that: a PART of Austin, not the dominating factor.

Of course, you know, I wouldn't say this if I were young, because, well, I wouldn't NOTICE it if I were young.

But I came here as an older adult and am finishing out my corporate career here. So I notice it, especially in the professional arena.

The other bad thing? Those large cockroaches. Damn them all to hell.
I've noticed this too.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM

67 posts, read 164,258 times
I'm glad I decided to look at this post! I was afraid it would be too negative, but what I saw wasn't bad. I didn't read every page, but saw some very good discussions! We've been thinking of moving to Austin for jobs and education opportunities, but also feel drawn there because of the culture and family-friendly lifestyle, with far fewer judgemental attitudes than the Dallas area. Yeah, I know, we'd be the ***** some people have posted as their complaints.... sorry, but we're not big complainers, I promise! I come from a family of bonafide hippies, so I think Austin will be a great fit.

Where I live, I deal with heat and I35 traffic, too, those seem to be the biggest complaints about Austin that I see here. I can live with that.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 44,015 times
1. Heat and humidity. Yeah, the humidity isn't as bad as Houston and that area, but it's enough to make it feel pretty nasty.

2. Traffic congestion. Not just the rush hour, but the random 2 o'clock on a Saturday parking lot on I-35 thing.

3. Depending on what city you're comparing it to, we're behind on the concept of public transportation.

4. The urban core is becoming alarmingly expensive to live in for regular families, which I fear will continue to drive urban sprawl and vechicle pollution.

The good outweighs that bad though. Except the heat and humidity. That may become a deal killer one of these days.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8080a View Post
1. Heat and humidity. Yeah, the humidity isn't as bad as Houston and that area, but it's enough to make it feel pretty nasty.
Compared to what? Sure, Austin is hot, but so is most of the South. But that knife cuts both ways -- hot in the summer when other places are temperate, but temperate when other places are bitterly cold in the winter.

The humidity thing is pretty much average. Our annual average humidity is 83% day, 59% night. Detroit is 81/60. Phoenix is 50/23. Orlando 90/55. DC is 83/55. Minneapolis is 79/62.

Good data sources here:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Not trying to be contentious, just wondering what you find ideal?

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 05:49 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
Agree ... The "influx" and "homogenization" of Central Texas is mainly due to all these great employers coming to the State, bringing some of their people with them, and attracting people from elsewhere ... It's something like a "double-edged sword." It cuts both ways.
If there were enough local, educated or technically-certificated, people already in the area, there might not be so many people coming from other regions of the Country.
On the opposite side of that is that the leaders of Austin, its surrounding towns, and Travis County and its surrounding counties, want their location(s) to grow, and in their brand of "Economics," prosper.
With growth and prosperity comes the "homogenizing" influence of culture(s) from all of those other places ... Wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post

Not trying to be contentious, just wondering what you find ideal?
I'd say April and May were pretty close!

Can we bottle a few days of that to open during July and August?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM

64 posts, read 131,741 times
Allergies! no doubt for me

Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 AM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
Austin is perfect and has no flaws. Just ask FORBES
No. 1: Austin, Texas

No. 1: Austin, Texas - Joel Kotkin - Forbes

Old 06-14-2012, 03:41 AM

9 posts, read 15,915 times
There are still Republicans here.

If you are 70, in Austin you are only 40. If you are 40, in Dallas you are 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin