Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
(3) inconvenience air travel [always have to stop by Houston or Dallas for connecting flight]
I'd say this is improving, though. I always used to have to have a connection when flying to DC, but then Southwest started direct flights. Same thing with more flights out to the west coast, Mexico, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
After you leave the downtown area it is the same as any other city. Nothing weird about it - SF, NOLA, Miami, NYC and LA are weird

Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is very odd, it must have something to do with where you hang out, or who you hang out with. I've lived in Austin for 37 years and never encountered anyone who displays the attitudes or says the things you described.
Really? I seem to remember you saying in a previous thread that when a relative moved to Houston, you sent them a sympathy card. Very odd thing to do but a pretty concrete example of Austintude in action, if you ask me!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM

40 posts, read 72,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
On the other hand you can drive to museums in Dallas/Fort Worth/San Antonio/Houston in just a few hours - we make day trips like that often - meaning you have access to the museums of four cities readily to hand.
Or I can live in Manhatten, Los Angeles, or northern VA for all the world class museums. :-)

Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM

40 posts, read 72,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'd say this is improving, though. I always used to have to have a connection when flying to DC, but then Southwest started direct flights. Same thing with more flights out to the west coast, Mexico, etc.
I am glad that when I moved to Austin, I also changed my job from traveling consultant to work@home PM. I was spending 200 + days a year on the road when I live in California. Have to say LAX, though outdated and busy, is pretty convenient for traveling professional.

I do wish that there are more Jetblue direct flights to Long Beach and DC. :-)

Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I agree, and I'm going on 45 years in Austin. The only thing I've ever heard that comes close to Austintude is from a young crowd who grew up here, moved away and want to come back, who have never lived here but have spent time in Austin visiting friends or relatives, or those who have never spent time here but think it's where they'd like to be. I don't hear it from those who live and work here. Not that I hear bad things about Austin from them, but topics that would lead to the term coined recently as Austintude just don't come up.
BTW, when did we start calling it "Austintude"? I'd always heard it as Austitude, which seems a more clever merging of the words. But recent posts always seem to spell it the first way.

To me, Austitude is epitomized by folks who move here (mostly from out of state) then claim that this is the only city in Texas that they'd ever bother to live in. It's really a put down of the rest of the state, due to ignorance more than arrogance IMO. As opposed to "Dallitude" (again, spelled like I remember it) which was mostly a description of the perceived materialism and concern with appearances that were associated with people living in Dallas.

Having lived in both of those cities, I can't say I've experienced either very much; it's no different or more common than run of the mill elitism, which you will find everywhere. A tiresome trait, yes... but worst thing about living here? No.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
BTW, when did we start calling it "Austintude"? I'd always heard it as Austitude, which seems a more clever merging of the words. But recent posts always seem to spell it the first way.

To me, Austitude is epitomized by folks who move here (mostly from out of state) then claim that this is the only city in Texas that they'd ever bother to live in. It's really a put down of the rest of the state, due to ignorance more than arrogance IMO. As opposed to "Dallitude" (again, spelled like I remember it) which was mostly a description of the perceived materialism and concern with appearances that were associated with people living in Dallas.
Yeah, I guess I was following suit with the misspelling/mispronunciation. I don't think anyone who actually uses the term calls it that. I've never paid that much attention to it.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I was following suit with the misspelling/mispronunciation. I don't think anyone who actually uses the term calls it that. I've never paid that much attention to it.
And in what actual real life situation does one use such a stupid word?

"My good fellow, you should know that I find your ostentatious display of Austitude quite distasteful and repugnant. Frankly, it has me second guessing my decision to move here".

Steve

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Me too, and I'm not sure which is technically "correct" anyway. I see it in writing much more than hear in spoken word.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Worst thing about Austin? Ask me today and easily it's the allergies. They hit me last year for the first time like a ton of bricks and they just hit again a couple of weeks ago. Nonstop sneezing, itchy eyes, and antihistamines aren't doing squat. I started taking them back in December hoping I'd have enough in my system when allergies hit again this January. No such luck. If I were single and younger, it might actually cause me to leave. It's that bad right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin