Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Worst thing about Austin? Ask me today and easily it's the allergies. They hit me last year for the first time like a ton of bricks and they just hit again a couple of weeks ago. Nonstop sneezing, itchy eyes, and antihistamines aren't doing squat. I started taking them back in December hoping I'd have enough in my system when allergies hit again this January. No such luck. If I were single and younger, it might actually cause me to leave. It's that bad right now.
I got smacked with something for about three weeks in November. Actually, a therapist neighbor suggested it might be a touch of West Nile Virus . Fortunately, it cleared and I've felt fine for about 7 weeks. It's amazing the difference between having respiratory challenges and being free of them! If I suffered because of the cenTex environment and had symptoms for much of the year, I'm afraid I'd be packing the car to leave in short order. I could not do what my across the street neighbor does and suffer for 2-3 months each year .

So my vote for the worst thing in Austin is the weather/atmospheric conditions. However, that's also one of the BEST things about Austin. Just walk outside this afternoon and make a cell call to someone around the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Worst thing about Austin? Ask me today and easily it's the allergies. They hit me last year for the first time like a ton of bricks and they just hit again a couple of weeks ago. Nonstop sneezing, itchy eyes, and antihistamines aren't doing squat. I started taking them back in December hoping I'd have enough in my system when allergies hit again this January. No such luck. If I were single and younger, it might actually cause me to leave. It's that bad right now.
If you become non-functional, as happens to me every few years when the allergies hit me real bad, and I can't even talk on the phone, a cortisone shot will fix you right up. You get that from the allergy doctor. You can't take one every year as it's not good for your system, but, at some point, when all else fails, it's an effective relief and works like magic through the rest of the season.

Steve

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Regularly scheduled allergy shots pretty much made my dad's life bearable for a few years, but it isn't an instant fix - I think he pretty much had to take shots year 'round for a couple of years, but I don't remember the details.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If you become non-functional, as happens to me every few years when the allergies hit me real bad, and I can't even talk on the phone, a cortisone shot will fix you right up. You get that from the allergy doctor. You can't take one every year as it's not good for your system, but, at some point, when all else fails, it's an effective relief and works like magic through the rest of the season.

Steve
I'm biting the bullet and getting one tomorrow. I haven't had a cortisone shot for a few years, but this year is killing me.

I got tested for the allergy shots but our insurance only covers a portion after I pay the $1000 deductible. And I would have to go nearly every day for 6 weeks to get the shot. Between work and kids, I don't know how I would be able to get to the doctor (and sit there for 30 minutes) every day.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I'm biting the bullet and getting one tomorrow. I haven't had a cortisone shot for a few years, but this year is killing me.

I got tested for the allergy shots but our insurance only covers a portion after I pay the $1000 deductible. And I would have to go nearly every day for 6 weeks to get the shot. Between work and kids, I don't know how I would be able to get to the doctor (and sit there for 30 minutes) every day.
Do you happen to know if only allergists will administer cortisone shots or might your PCP be able to give one?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I am going to agree that the worst part of living in Austin is the pollen, and in particular, the Ashe Juniper pollen, which is apparently much more allergy-causing than most pollens. When I lived in Marin County, CA, people used to say "if you didn't have allergies before, you will get then when you move here." So they thought their allergy quotient was high. But from my experience of the last 2 years living in Austin, those folks in CA don't know what an allergy season is compared to here. I have never seen so many miserable people as I have seen this month. Luckily, I only have only mild allergies at this point, but being really disabled by this is so common in Austin, I think our unique pollen mix is a strong contender for the worst part of living here.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Do you happen to know if only allergists will administer cortisone shots or might your PCP be able to give one?
A PCP will do it. But just be aware that not all doctors will give you cortisone shots. Some will only give them every few years, some twice a year, and some not at all. You may want to call and ask.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am going to agree that the worst part of living in Austin is the pollen, and in particular, the Ashe Juniper pollen, which is apparently much more allergy-causing than most pollens. When I lived in Marin County, CA, people used to say "if you didn't have allergies before, you will get then when you move here." So they thought their allergy quotient was high. But from my experience of the last 2 years living in Austin, those folks in CA don't know what an allergy season is compared to here. I have never seen so many miserable people as I have seen this month. Luckily, I only have only mild allergies at this point, but being really disabled by this is so common in Austin, I think our unique pollen mix is a strong contender for the worst part of living here.
I lived here for about 12 years before I developed a cedar allergy. I am miserable - like literally sat down and cried today, because I am so miserable.

I did the testing for the allergy shots, and the doctor said it was one of the strongest reactions to cedar he's ever seen.

So just because they aren't bad for you yet doesn't mean that you won't still develop an allergy.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper
Quote:
I lived here for about 12 years before I developed a cedar allergy. I am miserable - like literally sat down and cried today, because I am so miserable.

I did the testing for the allergy shots, and the doctor said it was one of the strongest reactions to cedar he's ever seen.

So just because they aren't bad for you yet doesn't mean that you won't still develop an allergy.
I think the OP pretty much agreed with you on how bad it can be.

What you have described is comparable to my experiences after moving here from Colorado. It got worse each year, 1-2 bad sinus infections or colds each year.....

until I stared taking allergy shots, and those have helped a great deal. It took 5 years but I'm talking about going from totally debiliating sinus infections and colds, to now where I can control it all with sinus sprays and salt water irrigations (neti pots, etc), and rarely ever get a sinus infection.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Thanks for the cortisone shot info. Our level of suffering is similar. I kept all of us in all day Monday because I was too afraid to go outside as was still dealing with the after-effects of having simply done errands on Sunday. It was so bad (throat, sinuses, sneezing, aches, eyes and skin on fire) I was convinced I was coming down with the flu or something but after a day indoors it was back to just a constant runny nose and gross throat which is was mold does for me on any given day -- my new normal in Austin with the mold count consistently high since summertime.

Just like you, I cannot wait in a doctor's office every day for several weeks with small kiddos to care for, not to mention the cost. Then there's also budgeting for laser eye surgery since I can no longer keep my contacts in due to allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin