Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,244,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Then you would never eat at Frontera Grill or Topolo and you'd miss two of the best Mexican Restaurants in the States
I've eaten at both of Bayless' places (actually it is Topolobampo) because our one of kids and spouse live in the West Loop. First of all, he's an Okie, so what does he know about Mexican food? Second, his food is closer to Fonda San Miguel than Matt's. Depends upon how you define "Mexican".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,735,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I've eaten at both of Bayless' places (actually it is Topolobampo) because our one of kids and spouse live in the West Loop. First of all, he's an Okie, so what does he know about Mexican food? Second, his food is closer to Fonda San Miguel than Matt's. Depends upon how you define "Mexican".
Actually, people in the know call it Topolo. You can call it Topolobampo if you want, but it signifies you're a rube.

I'd say Rick Bayless knows a lot about Mexican food considering he lived over six years in Mexico dedicated to learning how to cook authentic Mexican cuisine, has written numerous award winning Mexican cook books, has won just about every important award and accolade a working chef can win and has several James Beard award winning restaurants that are Mexican.

But yeah, what does he know?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, people in the know call it Topolo. You can call it Topolobampo if you want, but it signifies you're a rube.

I'd say Rick Bayless knows a lot about Mexican food considering he lived over six years in Mexico dedicated to learning how to cook authentic Mexican cuisine, has written numerous award winning Mexican cook books, has won just about every important award and accolade a working chef can win and has several James Beard award winning restaurants that are Mexican.

But yeah, what does he know?
Ahh, the snarky Kohmet is back. How refreshing is was to have the human here over the holidays.

Thanks for making my point. His food is closer to Fonda San Miguel, just as I said. Whether one considers that "Mexican" is an issue of semantics and subject to interpretation. I'm a fan of his and quite familiar with his work and awards, so spare me the condescension. The Okie line was a joke - obviously a pearl mistakenly cast before you. Feel free to ignore it in the future.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:00 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,735,587 times
Quote:
Ahh, the snarky Kohmet is back. How refreshing is was to have the human here over the holidays.

Thanks for making my point. His food is closer to Fonda San Miguel, just as I said. Whether one considers that "Mexican" is an issue of semantics and subject to interpretation. I'm a fan of his and quite familiar with his work and awards, so spare me the condescension. The Okie line was a joke - obviously a pearl mistakenly cast before you. Feel free to ignore it in the future.
Hey, you're the one you tried to correct me on the name of the restaurant - "actually it is Topolobampo" - give snark, get it back.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Hey, you're the one you tried to correct me on the name of the restaurant - "actually it is Topolobampo" - give snark, get it back.
My kids who live in Chicago will be delighted to know that the guy from Austin considers them rubes. I know what they call it when they tell the Uber driver where we are going. The only point was, Mr. Internet Thin Skin, was that if anyone wanted to go there, actually make reservations, then they might need to know the right name. Because it isn't always about you - as shocking as that may seem.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 PM

33 posts, read 64,295 times
Traffic and very high property taxes

Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,883,745 times
I like his enthusiasm, but Bayless is selling tired, overpriced, "Southwestern Cuisine", which was a 10-year passing fad here in Austin.

Topolobampo (served to you by a 24-year-old goateed, tatted-up hipster named Blair from Evanston):

Quote:
Pescado en Hierbas: American red snapper in hoja santa veil, four herb sauce, (hoja santa, cilantro, parsley, epazote), creamy celery root, tequila-poached radishes, herb shoots. $35.00

Cochito Chiapaneco: Gunthorp suckling pig, slow-cooked with red chile & sweet spices, homemade butifarra sausage, heirloom Mexican alubia blanco beans, grilled endive, fresh garnishes. $34.00

Carne Asada en Mole Negro: wood-roasted 28-day-aged prime ribeye in classic Oaxacan black mole (chilhuacle chiles & 28 other ingredients), corn husk-steamed chipil tamal, black beans, smoky green beans. $49.00
Compare that to Matt's or Mi Tierra's:

Quote:
Mexican Dinner: Chicken Enchilada, Crispy Beef Taco, Pork Tamale, served with Guacamole Salad, Mexican Rice, Pinto Beans, and Tortillas. $10.95
You know the rest of the menu... (served to you by a 52 year-old restaurant lifer named Gonzalo from Reynosa).

Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,754,925 times
According to the 2013 census, there are over 1.5 million Mexican or Mexican descended people in Chicagoland. The first big wave of immigration happens in 1910. I can assure you they are not all eating at Frontera Grill or Salpicon every night. You can get fantastic Mexican food at every price point from Rick Bayless fanciness mentioned above to one of hundreds of hole in the wall places from Logan Square to Pilsen. There are as many if not more Mexican restaurants in Chicago than in Austin, and a greater variety of regional Mexican cuisines represented, and in my experience Mexican food is as good, if not better in Chicago than in Austin. Tex-Mex not so much.

If you want to argue that there is no good Mexican food in New York, with the exception of perhaps a handful of places, you would be right, but to claim there is no good Mexican food in Chicago is kinda crazy.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
According to the 2013 census, there are over 1.5 million Mexican or Mexican descended people in Chicagoland. The first big wave of immigration happens in 1910.
Monday, 1/6 - start of the new work year. Chicago wx forecast - hi, -7, low -13. End of discussion for me.

homeinatx is right. Chicago has always had a large Mexican population. My father worked there after I graduated from HS in Houston. His company was over a bread bakery near Fullerton and Pulaski. One day, he drives up and there are a bunch of cars, all in a familiar color of green. Can't quite place the significance, until he hears later in the day there was a INS raid downstairs. Oh, yeah. That's what color the Border Patrol cars are. But I promise - there may have been Mexicans there in the 70s, but they didn't run any restaurants in any number.

Hey - your complaint about no good baked goods in Austin - if you mean French, have you been to Baguette et Chocolat in Bee Caves?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,754,925 times
Quote:
Monday, 1/6 - start of the new work year. Chicago wx forecast - hi, -7, low -13. End of discussion for me.

homeinatx is right. Chicago has always had a large Mexican population. My father worked there after I graduated from HS in Houston. His company was over a bread bakery near Fullerton and Pulaski. One day, he drives up and there are a bunch of cars, all in a familiar color of green. Can't quite place the significance, until he hears later in the day there was a INS raid downstairs. Oh, yeah. That's what color the Border Patrol cars are. But I promise - there may have been Mexicans there in the 70s, but they didn't run any restaurants in any number.

Hey - your complaint about no good baked goods in Austin - if you mean French, have you been to Baguette et Chocolat in Bee Caves?
I am so with you on the cold thing, and I am in Chicago next week. NOT looking to forward to those temperatures at all, and I agree Baguette et Chocolat makes the best baguette in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin