Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,066,958 times

Advertisements

This is going off tangent, but I stand by original point that some are overly concerned over some things maybe they shouldn't be -- it could be MUCH worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Actually, there is zero proof that Jesus of Nazereth existed at all. No more proof than that of King Arthrur or Beowulf having existed.
Actually, you are wrong. Firstly, you discredit entirely one or more groups of people, including many historians, by saying there is "zero" proof. This is basically a false statement.

Most mainstream sources would agree; even Wikipedia opens the page for Jesus with a birth and death date and discusses historical topics. Contrast that to the pages for Beowulf and King Arthur, opened with " a legendary..." The Xenu example is even less comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Jay is right. There is no historical record outside of Christian texts themselves about Jesus of Nazereth.
No, not exactly. There are mentions from Roman, Jewish, Babylonian, and Greek figures, though mostly after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM

313 posts, read 726,763 times
I personally don't care if children learn that christmas was a holiday originally celebrated only by Christians, because it was a celebration of the birth of their deity (although it is now largely a secular holiday). That's just learning history...

Actually both Christmas and Easter have their origins in pagan beliefs. Christmas came from a combination of the Yule Tide celebration which starts on the winter solstice and runs for 12 consecutive days (thus we have the 12 days of Christmas). An enormous log was keep burning for those 12 days, evergreens were cut, brought into the home and decorated. The date December 25th was actually a Roman holiday called Saturnalia where people gave each other gifts, had parties and feasted. This date was adopted by the Roman Catholic church (the first organized Christians) so that they could have there own holy holiday but it was actually held on Christmas Eve. Which is why it's called Christmas (Christ Mass). Mass is what Catholics call church service.

As for Easter it was originally a celebration of the spring equinox (pagan practice painted eggs and other easterly things). Good Friday which reminds Christians of the last supper was really the Jewish Passover.

But that is all irrelevant to initial request of this thread and we really should stop attacking each other. What's next politics?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,290,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Jay is right. There is no historical record outside of Christian texts themselves about Jesus of Nazereth. No Roman census in the right time period. Also, no Egyptian text (and there are a LOT) mentions the Hebrews.
The Jewish writer Flavius Josephus, wrote in A.D. 93:

Quote:
About this time came Jesus, a wise man, if indeed it is appropriate to call him a man. For he was a performer of paradoxical feats, a teacher of people who accept the unusual with pleasure, and he won over many of the Jews and also many Greeks. He was the Christ. When Pilate, upon the accusation of the first men amongst us, condemned him to be crucified, those who had formerly loved him did not cease to follow him, for he appeared to them on the third day, living again, as the divine prophets foretold, along with a myriad of other marvellous things concerning him. And the tribe of the Christians, so named after him, has not disappeared to this day.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM

326 posts, read 686,066 times
The terrible roads - no ramps from one highway to the other. I'm also not a fan of how UT-centric it is. I get it!! You like your university (even if you didn't go there.) You don't have to tell me how great it is over and over again!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM

541 posts, read 942,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Oh boy, not another one of these threads. Threads like these are just begging for flame wars.

Well, I guess if I'm going to be honest, I would have to say the worst thing about Austin to me is the summer weather.

uGH yes!!! I agree. TX weather in the summer sucks ass.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM

970 posts, read 1,876,429 times
One last pet peeve...............begging / beggars. Whether it's on the streets with placards or the ubiquitous TIP jar (for those already making at least minimum wage,) it was one Huge thing I noticed when I moved here and it's truly annoying.................sorry, just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
uGH yes!!! I agree. TX weather in the summer sucks ass.
YIKES!! I completely left off probably the biggest thing for me!!! I absolutely cannot stand the summers here and the terrible heat! I am a huge cold weather person, and the summers here make me want to lock myself into a freezer for eternity. It's January folks! Can't we atleast get ONE month of a real winter?????

Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,923,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
YIKES!! I completely left off probably the biggest thing for me!!! I absolutely cannot stand the summers here and the terrible heat! I am a huge cold weather person, and the summers here make me want to lock myself into a freezer for eternity. It's January folks! Can't we atleast get ONE month of a real winter?????
You are not bound in chains to live here. There are plenty of cold weather cities you could choose from.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM

40 posts, read 85,393 times
Austin has a cool vibe that says "we are open-minded; you are welcome here". But once you scratch the surface, the open-mindedness feels a bit thin and less genuine than one would hope. Like anywhere else, groups are open to their own mindset/interests, but at least Austin has just about every group to choose from. YMMV

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You are not bound in chains to live here. There are plenty of cold weather cities you could choose from.
Actually, I pretty much do have to live here. This is where my life is, where my family is, and where my job/schooling is. There is no way that I could ever leave. I was just simply stating that I don't like the weather. There are definitely plenty of other things that I absolutely love about Austin. The weather just isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin