Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 21,950 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

First off let me say I am new to this website and I am still learning the in and out of it, so excuse me if I accidentally reply multiple times or etc!!

Now to business, as I said in my title I am looking to sublease my current apartment and am trying to reach out to a vast number of people in hopes that someone will, metaphorically speaking, reach back out! I currently live in a 4/4 apart that is primarily located in student apartments. The advantages to this type of complex is all bills are included in my $480 rent a month. The apartment also comes furnished, with hardwood floors, granite counter tops, a washer and dryer, high speed internet and cable. I live on the third floor which can be considered both a blessing and curse. The positive of the situation is, there is no one above my floor, so there is no loud stomping and such to disturb me. The negative is you have to put a little more effort into arriving at your front door!

Also, my neighbors next to me are pretty quiet which is also a plus. I currently live with two other roommates, both of which are girls. (1 a current UT student, the other a UT graduate, and 1 room is empty)

I see I have already written to much, and I do not want to bore you, however if you have any tips or know of someone looking for an apartment, do not hesitate to reply!!

Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Have you thought about posting the room for rent at UT itself and also on craigslist? The girls will probably have to approve anyone you find.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswright2009 View Post
Hi all!

First off let me say I am new to this website and I am still learning the in and out of it, so excuse me if I accidentally reply multiple times or etc!!

Now to business, as I said in my title I am looking to sublease my current apartment and am trying to reach out to a vast number of people in hopes that someone will, metaphorically speaking, reach back out! I currently live in a 4/4 apart that is primarily located in student apartments. The advantages to this type of complex is all bills are included in my $480 rent a month. The apartment also comes furnished, with hardwood floors, granite counter tops, a washer and dryer, high speed internet and cable. I live on the third floor which can be considered both a blessing and curse. The positive of the situation is, there is no one above my floor, so there is no loud stomping and such to disturb me. The negative is you have to put a little more effort into arriving at your front door!

Also, my neighbors next to me are pretty quiet which is also a plus. I currently live with two other roommates, both of which are girls. (1 a current UT student, the other a UT graduate, and 1 room is empty)

I see I have already written to much, and I do not want to bore you, however if you have any tips or know of someone looking for an apartment, do not hesitate to reply!!

Thank you for reading.
You can find standard sublease contracts online which will include everything that you wont think of. Your landlord will also need to sign off on the new tenant. Finally, you will still be on the hook for payment. Even if your sublessor does not pay, you will need to pay. This is probably stated in your original contract. The landlord doesnt really have any incentive to truly let you out of your contract.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Falcon, yes I've posted on Craigslist, however the majority of individuals looking are males, and my roommates prefer a female substitute, which is understandable! But no I had not thought of posting the listing on a UT website. Thank you for that insight, I am going to go do some research on how to go about that!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Austin, luckily in my contract it states that the subleaser would have to fully take over the contract! I think it has something to do with me living in student apartments which are leased independently by room. But thank you for the additional thought!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Where is the apartment located? Exact location? I'm looking to move in the next month or so and this sounds like it would be perfect.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 AM

Steph,
the apartment is located in East Austin, off of Crossing Place and Riverside. The area is a heavily student populated area. Also if needed, the apartments are near public transportation stops. For more in depth details, you can direct message me your number and we can talk if liked!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
I'd make a pitch for a gay male subleter. It might widen the pool of applicants. ( I say this in all seriousness.) Also you may want to put an ad on Facebook. I did this and got a place really easily.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM

100 posts, read 258,440 times
When I was in college, my three roommates and I went through that process a couple times in ONE year. First time, someone dropped out and moved. Second person we kicked out because he was into hard drugs; third time, we didn't realize we were sharing an apartment with someone into spearfishing, who would skin fish and leave guts everywhere for breakfast. Ew.

Moral of the story: make sure your roommates all agree on a roommate. We found a good new roommate through Craigslist, and we all talked to her and made sure things were OK before we took care of the paperwork with the leasing office.

Think through and spell check your CL ad... no one wants to read an ad that says, "HEY MAN, WE R FOUR 420-FRIENDLT CHICKS WHO WANNA PARTY... BU TWE ARE RESPONSIBLE TOO AND SOMETIMES WE STUDY. BEDROOM, KITCHEN. SRSY GRLS ONLY!!!!" (I can't tell you how many of those ads I used to see on Craigslist back in the college days... You will only attract creeps, flakes and psychos if you put out the wrong kind of vibe.

I second the notion for a gay male subletter, too. Definitely worth a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin