Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 44,188 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here purchased or built a Gehan home in the last 5 years? If so, what was your experience? We are very interested in choosing Gehan, as we really prefer their floor plans over others. However, we were hoping to get some feedback from real homeowners before making that decision.

Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,533 times
We are in the process of building a Gehan Classic (Kennedy floorplan at Walsh Trails) right now. We've had a friend who is in the construction business look over the house as it is going up, and he was very pleased with the construction. Another friend who builds for Standard Pacific complimented Gehan's construction, too. Our only complaints thus far have been that we've had to watch the builder closely, to make sure they added all the options we paid for. Granted, we chose a lot of options which they said was unusual, but still--I am paying them to install it. I shouldn't have to continually watch. The design/deco appointments were rushed and not helpful as to actually making design choices, so I'd suggest having a pretty good idea of what you're wanting before you go in---pore over the options sheet for hours beforehand and get ideas from other homes/internet as to colors and styles, because you won't get a lot of help from the girl working the design center. I'm sure it is the same with all builders, though, so know yourself and what you are wanting.

Gehan's houses and floorplans are beautiful, and I have a friend who has built and lived in a Gehan (Blackhawk) for 2.5 years with no complaints. I'm hoping we'll have great luck with ours, too!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 15,783 times
Default Gehan Homes in Anna Texas

We bought a Gehan Spec homes almost 2 years ago... Absolutely the best home we've ever owned, and we've owned 4 other homes brand new...a DR Horton (absolute crap) a Choice (not bad for the price) a Buescher ( lots and lots of things wrong I see why he's out of business) ...Let me just say, the only issue we had was our warranty guy..an absolute ass, had to call corporate and speak to the manager of warranty issues. Because of all the complaints on him, he was fired...got a new guy and he was excellent...havent even had a crack in the drywall....Had done much research, and my grandfather built homes up back east...by far one of the best builders...

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM

We've now been in our Gehan home for 9 months with (knock on wood) no major problems. We love it!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,580 times
My sister bought a Gehan 3 years ago and absolutely loves it. I have not heard a whole lot of bad things regarding Gehan.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,216 times
Gehan are nice. I toured a few when looking for mine.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM

112 posts, read 287,071 times
Just couple of months back i bought a home at Preserve at dyer creek which is built by Gehan. There are no major issues but overall i am not totally satisfied. There is a big crack on my drive way. Unfortunately it is not covered under warranty. The subcontractor who did the roof work made some mistakes. The upper shingle should stay on top of the lower shingle. But they fixed it in the opposite direction. Finishing work(paint, and walls) is also not good. When you sign the contract they say it will take 4 to 5 months to build the home. But they build the home in two months and push you to close. If you plan to bring your own inspector let them know in advance.

thanks
Vali

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM

As an update, we had a home inspection done, as we're approaching our one-year warranty period and we did not do an inspection when we built. Overall, there were only minor issues except that Gehan did not put arc-fault circuit interrupters in the plugs in the entire house. Our inspector said the house was solid and well-built, and that most Gehan's he's seen are as such.

I am unhappy, however, that they put our air conditioner on CINDER BLOCKS and are refusing to turn it into a slab. The first approximately 8 houses they built in Walsh Trails are on cinder blocks (the ONLY houses in the neighborhood like that), but the previous superintendent promised us that they would correct it for us, within the first few months we were in the house. Well now Roger, the area construction manager, has said that ABSOLUTELY they WOULD NOT fix the air conditioners and we have to live with them on cinder blocks! How white trash does that look.....$300 - 350K houses with A/C units on cinder blocks?!?

Overall, at this point, we're happy with our home. Gehan does need to take some lessons on customer service and keeping promises, however!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM

130 posts, read 386,412 times
If you have some sort of evidence/proof that they agreed to fix the AC ,you can hire a realestate lawyer and atleast lodge a complaint. Manytimes, the builders just want some pinch.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Overall, there were only minor issues except that Gehan did not put arc-fault circuit interrupters in the plugs in the entire house.
The arc-fault became code after you closed on the house which is why it doesn't have it, February last year. Believe me, you don't want it. Our outlets are tripping all the freakin' time and it's VERY frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin