Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM

137 posts, read 454,399 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the helpful hints. We aren't coming until the end of February but wanted to ask. Congress Street sounds like a better place to stroll. Thanks!

Now . . . . about Mexican food . . . . some say Guero's and some say Chuy's. I've read reviews about both and some people say neither one has GREAT Mexican and they both have long waits but say Guero's is more expensive. Any one with comments on this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

137 posts, read 454,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post
I know it was mentioned but don't forget to bring your own beer.
I have never lived anywhere that you have BYOB to a restaurant. Is that common in Austin? Strange!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
I have never lived anywhere that you have BYOB to a restaurant. Is that common in Austin? Strange!
Not at all. The Salt Lick in Driftwood is in a dry precinct (I believe- other long-timers, correct me if I am wrong) so they cannot serve alcohol there. They can sell you wine or beer at their little wine store but they cannot serve you alcohol in the restaurant.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM

147 posts, read 572,744 times
The remnants of prohibition and the Bible Belt. There are many areas in Texas that are "dry". Driftwood is one of them. They don't have a liqueur license so they let their patrons bring their own booze.

Some areas in Dallas are wet and dry from block to block.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Thanks for all the helpful hints. We aren't coming until the end of February but wanted to ask. Congress Street sounds like a better place to stroll. Thanks!

Now . . . . about Mexican food . . . . some say Guero's and some say Chuy's. I've read reviews about both and some people say neither one has GREAT Mexican and they both have long waits but say Guero's is more expensive. Any one with comments on this one?
they both serve tex-mex. I personally prefer chuys. It is a chain which ensures consistency. If you have lived here for a long time you would outgrow it. But as a visitor I think chuys is a great place to go.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I wouldn't say EITHER Guero's or Chuy's for good Mexican food.

If you want to go fancy, Fonda San Miguel for the ambiance.

Not fancy, Azul Tequila (in a shopping strip center on the northeast corner of Ben White and South Lamar, next to a Target, but as good as Fonda San Miguel, just a lot cheaper) or Taqueria Guadalajara Arandas at 6534 Burnet Rd (REALLY not fancy, but YUM!).

There are also about 87 million other really good places to get Mexican food (Tex-Mex or interior) in and around Austin, but those are some reliables.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
You should go to the original Chuys on Barton Springs Road. If not for any other reason than Jenna Bush was arrested there for trying to drink with fake ID.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Matt's El Rancho on South Lamar is a place to try

Welcome to Matt's Famous El Rancho!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM

40 posts, read 85,302 times
Now I feel bad for calling down Salt Lick's sides. It's always been a joke amongst my friends that we don't go there for the beans. I thought this was the popular opinion. Sorry.

Texas Horse Lady is spot on. ...just depends on how much ambiance you want and whether you care for TexMex or interior mexican food. Azul Tequila, like THL mentioned, is one of my favorites and one of the few that serves INTERIOR Mexican cuisine and not just Tex Mex. Cochinita Pibil...heaven. Fonda San Miguel has wonderful, fancier interior food (lobster enchiladas) and prices/ambiance to match.

I always pick Chuy's over Guerros. New Mexican martini's there are magical and make every meal taste better. Matt's El Rancho is my favorite I-want-to-drink-a-margarita-on-a-patio spot. Matt's is oddly closed on Tues. That has hurt my feelings more than once.

Have fun!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I think Gueros is a nice option for a tourist who hasn't yet become too picky about their Tex Mex. It's good Tex Mex and in a fun area. Chuy's on Barton Springs, too. You'll leave full and it doesn't cost much, plus the margaritas in both places beat those you'll find in most other states.

When you are better versed in Tex Mex, you'll likely start wanting to go to places like Azul Tequila or Curras. But for now, it's like a non-wine drinker being asked to tell the difference between a $20 bottle of wine and a $50 one. They probably won't notice the difference enough for it to matter.

Also, I believe the airport Salt Lick drives their BBQ in from Driftwood. So it should be the same stuff. It's always good when I get it at the airport, but sometimes the long lines and short hours are a turnoff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin