Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funicorn View Post
... Now I just have to figure out where to stow 2 toddlers and 2 big dogs during showings. lol If houses are really selling in a week, maybe listing time would be a spectacular time to rent a beach house in Galveston for a week. ...
That's actually a really good idea, and many sellers do clear out the first weekend. We encourage it in high demand listings.

Ideally, a house goes on the market on a Thursday evening. You're out of it for previews and initial showings during the day on Friday. Friday night you pack, leave early Saturday AM for a short getaway with the kids and dogs (husband too) and return Sunday evening.

Meanwhile, listed as "call and go" with no obsticles for showing agents, plus open houses Sat and/or Sun. It's staged perfect and neat as a pin, and hopefully you have multiple offers by Monday morning.

Optimistic? Yes, but that's how you sell a house in 5 days. You have to have faith and believe it will happen, and work hard to make it happen. Don't cut corners, but don't put money and effort into things that don't matter. Your agent will collect feedback from showing agents. Not a one of them will say "the house was perfect for them, if only it had granite counters. They're going to keep looking". Nobody rules a house out because of that one item. Buyers buy based on price, location and floorplan/condition. If yours is good in those areas, granite won't matter.

As an aside, I'm just sickened by all the lazy sellers and agents who go on market with an overpriced unprepared listing. Easy simple things not tended to. Selling a house is sort of like losing weight. There are no secrets, we all know what needs to happen, yet so many people don't do the work, and thus don't get the results.

That said, for 2011 "Not Solds" (expired and withdrawn) dropped to 40% from 48% in 2010, so more listings are succeeding in getting sold again and I expect that number to drop further this year as inventory shrinks relative to demand. Areas like CC are leading the way in renewed demand. The rest of Austin will follow, though it might take a year or more.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM

116 posts, read 212,913 times
Austin-steve - I wish I could increase your reputation more but it won't let me yet! Everyone needs a realtor like you. You are right on. I can't stand it when realtors come in and tell the seller to spend a bunch of money to update without really analyzing whats going on in the area. It's irresponsible. Sometimes you do need to spend money to make money, and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you just need to take all your junk to Goodwill and put a fresh coat of paint on.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
Austin-steve - I wish I could increase your reputation more but it won't let me yet!
Ditto!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 85,287 times
Steve, you are my hero of the week. Thanks a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin