Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 20,869 times

Advertisements

We have been planning on moving down this summer, and have been mostly looking at Round Rock. We are considering Pflugerville. Would like to know pros and cons if anyone could help. We are going to be buying and have family. Before you warn me of the heat I lived in Houston 6 years so I know about the humidity. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,829,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loofa1969 View Post
We have been planning on moving down this summer, and have been mostly looking at Round Rock. We are considering Pflugerville. Would like to know pros and cons if anyone could help. We are going to be buying and have family. Before you warn me of the heat I lived in Houston 6 years so I know about the humidity. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
The only REAL difference between Round Rock and Pflugerville is that one (round rock) is in Williamson county and the other (pflugerville) is in Travis. This effects what electrical companies, gas companies, cable companies are available to you, and the city services you recieve.

Some people on this thread absolutely HATE the Williamson county police, for various reasons. I have lived in both of the cities you mentioned and not noticed any real difference in the police service or strictness, so YMMV.

Round Rock is a larger city with more amenities, but Pflugerville is so close (literally seconds away) from Round Rock that you don't get any advantage actually living in one or the other, except maybe less than 4 minutes driving time saved.

School districts are a wash.

Either city is a good choice for living, but they are not really that different.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 20,869 times
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

School districts are a wash.
I pretty much agree with you other than the statement above. RRISD is "generally" a better school district as a whole.

For the 2011 Accountability ratings, Pflugerville ISD only had 2 schools in the entire district that were Exemplary while Round Rock ISD had 18 rated Exemplary. Of course RRISD looks to be about twice the size, but there is a difference.

2011 Accountability: List by District

And yes, I do know that there are other factors in what determines a "good" school, but these ratings are a start. Really, you need to look at each individual school that your neighborhood feeds into instead of looking at a district as a whole.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,345,361 times
It really does depend on where you live within the RRISD, just like Pflugerville ISD. There are a number of not so exemplary schools once you are out of elementary school level. In fact, middle school is where it gets pretty muddy. I know this bc there a number of people within the RRISD who send their middle schoolers to the charter school that my daughter attends. There are a number of Recognized schools within PF. FWIW I live in Northern Pflugerville and it is zoned to pretty good schools. Personally, find the house that you like, then do a school check. I give PF a nod bc you get a pretty decent deal for your dollar -- you can live in a good neighborhood, go to a reasonably good school, and not have a strangling mortgage payment.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM

18 posts, read 33,074 times
Williamson county is so different from Travis. Personally I would never live there. I don't even like to drive there. The people seem so aggressive. The courts there give out perhaps the longest sentences in the country for relatively petty crimes. So if you like more red than blue, you'll probably like Williamson County better, but if you are at all liberal minded, I'd say don't even consider it.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Bee View Post
Williamson county is so different from Travis. Personally I would never live there. I don't even like to drive there. The people seem so aggressive. The courts there give out perhaps the longest sentences in the country for relatively petty crimes. So if you like more red than blue, you'll probably like Williamson County better, but if you are at all liberal minded, I'd say don't even consider it.
I don't see this being true. I have lived in both counties and had equal run ins with the law...Zero. I have never noticed Wilco police applying a more severe methodology for law enforcement.

Can you back up your statement about wilco courts giving out longer than normal sentences for petty crime?

Yes, Travis usually votes blues, and Round Rock Red, but she didnt ask about all of Travis county, she asked about Pflugerville. It's not exactly central austin politically.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,185,259 times
I have to say after seeing the posts on this board for the last three years about overall disdain for Williamson Country police, I now know what everyone is complaining about. Last week I was issued a ticket in my own neighborhood for "not stopping at a stop sign for 5 seconds or longer."

No joke, just a mandatory court appearance.

Personally, I can't wait until we move out of Wilco into Travis.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't see this being true. I have lived in both counties and had equal run ins with the law...Zero. I have never noticed Wilco police applying a more severe methodology for law enforcement.

Can you back up your statement about wilco courts giving out longer than normal sentences for petty crime?

Yes, Travis usually votes blues, and Round Rock Red, but she didnt ask about all of Travis county, she asked about Pflugerville. It's not exactly central austin politically.
Just talk to any criminal defense attorney who handles both Travis and Williamson cases. They will tell you that, by far, sentencing is much heavier in WilCo, particularly when it comes to probation violation and DWI cases.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Just talk to any criminal defense attorney who handles both Travis and Williamson cases. They will tell you that, by far, sentencing is much heavier in WilCo, particularly when it comes to probation violation and DWI cases.
I'll just stick to my own experiences rather than ask a stranger.

But everyone has different experiences. Too many people complain about Wilco for them all to be crazy.

I can only speak for MYSELF, and I personally have never had any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin