Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 34,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Thread jack? lol It's a public forum addressing similar questions, meaning everything you post is public on google and will turn up in both search results there, and ones here... so anybody can just register and join in, especially somebody like me who has been on here for 5 years... Chill, you don't own the internet. I am addressing Bay Area to Austin questions also, just b/c I don't have a family doesn't mean I need to start an entirely new thread to ask similar things. I actually did the appropriate thing by *not* creating a new thread.
New threads are for topics not covered in other threads. My question was unique to me as is yours to you so no need to derail, do the right thing start your own thread

wag more bark less - I'd probably look at Poway if I end up working in SD, much closer than Carlsbad. I lived in Cardiff several years ago (pre-marriage/kids) and it was beautiful but would have been a lousy commute on 5 traffic.

I've seen some good jobs in SA, what would traffic be like during commute hours from say New Braunfels to SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Wouldn't you also have to consider traffic to San Diego, where you'd likely be working? Isn't Carlsbad/Escondido 30+ mi to SD? I heard someone else the other day comparing Austin/CA prices, then realized they were talking about Temecula, which is one hell of a commute to SD or Orange County, way worse than most Austin commuters probably have. Would you be able to take advantage of that PT living in La Costa?

Have prices gone down significantly in areas closer in to where most people work?
Actually, there are a lot of jobs and large corporations in the "suburbs" of CA including CA so it's difficult to compare. I lived in Carlsbad for years and worked in Carlsbad for two different large corporations and only had a 5 minute commute. This is another reason why Temecula with its $250K homes is more appealing because a lot of those people don't commute to San Diego, but to places like Escondido or Carlsbad. It's the same thing for the Bay area in that you could live in Santa Clara and work for Cisco in Santa Clara or Apple in Cupertino. You don't always have to commute to San Francisco or Oakland.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Would somebody from the Bay Area be underwhelmed by Austin... or Chicago/LA to Austin?
In most ways, I would say YES. In fact those are the most complaints I hear. One would need to come expecting totally different, smaller with a lack of the big city amenities. Chicago folks seem to do better with Houston. Bay Area suburb to Austin suburb is usually fine.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
In most ways, I would say YES. In fact those are the most complaints I hear. One would need to come expecting totally different, smaller with a lack of the big city amenities. Chicago folks seem to do better with Houston. Bay Area suburb to Austin suburb is usually fine.
Yeah I wouldn't be into the suburbs, I like to be close to DT in a city neighborhood and sparingly use my car, etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Actually, there are a lot of jobs and large corporations in the "suburbs" of CA including CA so it's difficult to compare. I lived in Carlsbad for years and worked in Carlsbad for two different large corporations and only had a 5 minute commute. This is another reason why Temecula with its $250K homes is more appealing because a lot of those people don't commute to San Diego, but to places like Escondido or Carlsbad. It's the same thing for the Bay area in that you could live in Santa Clara and work for Cisco in Santa Clara or Apple in Cupertino. You don't always have to commute to San Francisco or Oakland.
I can definitely see the appeal if you don't have to commute to one of the cities! I personally would never live in Temecula but near Carlsbad is a different story.

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't be into the suburbs, I like to be close to DT in a city neighborhood and sparingly use my car, etc.
You would have plenty of company being car-lite in Austin, I am and I have many friends who are too, and a few who are car free. Of course we all are either DT or DT-adjacent. My wife and I walk or bike most places, and only I have to drive to work (unfortunately).

However we are still a huge minority, far less than bay area. Still doable and fun, especially if you love biking... Much easier for cycling as opposed to walking IMO.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Yeah but what about other single, non divorced folks in their 30s. Is it seen as culturally normal to still maybe have roommates (because you want them), going out frequently, focusing on career and creative pursuits there into your 30s/40s? I am keeping all my options open as I'm jumping into another career field soon for a fresh start. I know Austin is a culturally cool place for the young folks... I would just be scared that it is predominantly for that 20's crowd then people start heading out to the burbs. I'd honestly not want to date a fresh out of college girl, no offense to them... I just think there would be experience issues in the relationship (been there done that through dating them). Of course for another topic. I know a lot of people I have known in SF and Chicago who have praised Austin, and a few that have move there, but the ones who moved there were already serious couples for instance.
I think most women would think that a guy in his 30's would be able to afford his own place so you may run into issues if you have a roommate. If you don't like people in their 20's there are also plenty of "cougar" type women in their 40's that would go for you as well. I had a few of them but I found I like a more youthful appearance.

Now I'm dating a lady who is a few years younger than I am and it's working out quite nicely.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think most women would think that a guy in his 30's would be able to afford his own place so you may run into issues if you have a roommate. If you don't like people in their 20's there are also plenty of "cougar" type women in their 40's that would go for you as well. I had a few of them but I found I like a more youthful appearance.

Now I'm dating a lady who is a few years younger than I am and it's working out quite nicely.
Yeah that is what I figured, it wouldn't be culturally normal... It is pretty normal in other more expensive cities though... LA/SF/NYC. My last roommate in Chicago was 40 and it was completely normal and he still went out all the time, more than me actually. I have some friends in Brooklyn in their 30s and they are about 8 people deep in their place. I know several teachers/artists/musicians here in their 30s who also have roommates. Another case, I know some others in New Orleans and they have a block giant house, pretty much a gated mansion with about 15 people in it, they are mostly actors...but that is how they roll I guess. From what I read on here, Austin seems a bit too conservative for me, even though it is supposed to be "liberal" :/ I don't know much about Texas or Austin culture, but that is the feeling I get...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Yeah that is what I figured, it wouldn't be culturally normal... It is pretty normal in other more expensive cities though... LA/SF/NYC. My last roommate in Chicago was 40 and it was completely normal and he still went out all the time, more than me actually. I have some friends in Brooklyn in their 30s and they are about 8 people deep in their place. I know several teachers/artists/musicians here in their 30s who also have roommates. Another case, I know some others in New Orleans and they have a block giant house, pretty much a gated mansion with about 15 people in it, they are mostly actors...but that is how they roll I guess. From what I read on here, Austin seems a bit too conservative for me, even though it is supposed to be "liberal" :/ I don't know much about Texas or Austin culture, but that is the feeling I get...
Those scenarios definitely exist in Austin, it's just not predominant. I can think of several friends/acquaintances who are doing stuff like this. Just not common. I doubt it's predominant in NO either....and I've never lived in Chicago but on my visits it's seemed like there are plenty of 30s/40s living alone or w/ one roommate, or with a gf/bf, or with a traditional family, etc. Are there really that many 40-somethings living 10-15 deep in mansions? Correct me if I'm wrong

As has been said time and time again, Austin is liberal but not necessarily compared to some coastal cities or perhaps Chicago.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
I think most people in Texas are far too independent for communal living.

I'd rather live in a trailer than live 15 "deep" in a mansion and I can't stand trailers. It's just at least that would provide some level of independence. No Real World Austin for me please.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Those scenarios definitely exist in Austin, it's just not predominant. I can think of several friends/acquaintances who are doing stuff like this. Just not common. I doubt it's predominant in NO either....and I've never lived in Chicago but on my visits it's seemed like there are plenty of 30s/40s living alone or w/ one roommate, or with a gf/bf, or with a traditional family, etc. Are there really that many 40-somethings living 10-15 deep in mansions? Correct me if I'm wrong

As has been said time and time again, Austin is liberal but not necessarily compared to some coastal cities or perhaps Chicago.
I mean no there aren't TONS of people living like this. It just isn't viewed as weird (at least in the city) , nobody would think twice. I am wondering if people would think twice, that is the problem. My roommate who was 40 was also randomly off craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin