Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,065 times

Advertisements

I am repatriating back the US, and with my family scattered around the country, I had the freedom of choosing anywhere to go, and we have settled on Austin. We are choosing it based on the lower cost of living compared to San Francisco and New York, where I grew up, because of its relative proximity to Buenos Aires (compared to Seattle, for example, which was another choice - there are direct flights between Dallas and Buenos Aires), and because of the music scene and general vibe about the city and surrounding area.

I have been a full time professional musician (blues, jazz, and rock and roll mostly) for the last 10 years, but have also worked in the past as a high school History teacher, and for the last several years as a web-content editor and writer. My wife is from Argentina, and is a bi-lingual writer and editor. We will be coming up with at least some freelance work, and possible a job for me, but if not, I am confident about finding a good job based on what I have seen so far. We have 2 boys, 4 and 8, that have grown up in Argentina, that will be starting k and 3rd grade. 3rd grader speaks English well, the little guy, not so much.

We are going to rent at least for the first couple of years, and have a budget of $1300 a month. After having lived in apartments for the last 8 years, we are 100% sure we want to rent a 3bdr. house with a yard. I have done hours of research on this site (and others), and spoken to friend that live there, and have narrowed it down pretty much to Southwest Austin, or Cedar Park. I don't know where I'll be working yet, probably central or North Austin, so I can't really base my choice on the commute. We will be moving up in June, and need to find a place, and get our children registered for school ASAP. I will be coming up alone first to scope out our choices, but it is tough from a distance, and any feedback people have I would be grateful for. I have been looking mostly on Craigslist and have found houses that look to fit our needs and wants within our budget, but until I get up there to see for myself I won't really get a good sense of where we want to live.

We are really easy going, and basically want a nice, medium-sized house in a pretty neighborhood with plenty of trees and good elementary schools. If it's closer to downtown, that is probably better, but I am realistic about our budget. I'll be going to work on a motorcycle, and honestly don't mind a 30-40 minute commutes to wherever I may be working. We would wouldn't mind be closer to the lake, as we'd love to get outdoors on the weekends. I have gotten the sense that Round Rock might be a little too suburban for us, but maybe not, again, we are pretty easy going.

Having said (all of) that, I am wondering:

1- Do any specific neighborhoods within Austin City limits sound like a good fit for us (Crestview)?

2- Southwest Austin?

3- Any other areas other than Cedar Park that we should be considering?

4- If anybody here has experience with the dual language program at the AISD or Leander ISD, I would love to hear your experience. Our youngest will be 5, starting k, and doesn't speak much English.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,447,370 times
Interesting...our niece finished UT last year and moved to Buenos Aires to teach English as a second language. At 22, she doesn't know much about Austin real estate except for the house she grew up in . She did occupy off-campus housing for a couple of years, but likely didn't give too much thought to the neighborhood she was in.

The RE pros on C-D will chime in with pertinent info, I'm sure.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Well if you're niece needs anything down here in Buenos Aires feel free to PM me and Ill give you my contact info to pass on to her. We'll be down here for a couple of months still.

In the meantime, still struggling mightily to get a grasp on where we might be living! Its hard to do from a distance, but I'm sure once I get up there and have a chance to get shown some properties by RE agents, I'll have a much better sense of what we can get and what fits our needs.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygalli View Post
We would wouldn't mind be closer to the lake, as we'd love to get outdoors on the weekends. I have gotten the sense that Round Rock might be a little too suburban for us, but maybe not, again, we are pretty easy going.
You definitely should not rule out Round Rock. I live on the border of Cedar park and Round Rock and I'd almost venture to say that parts of Round Rock are less suburban than Cedar Park (both are very suburban, so ruling out Round Rock and still considering Cedar park doesn't make sense). There are great areas in both cities, but with your limited price range, you might end up finding a better place in Round Rock.

I would recommend to stop using Craigslist for your searches since you're searching from afar and to use AustinHomeSearch.com as it pulls listings directly from the MLS. That will ensure that you're not viewing any of the scams on Craigslist as sometimes it's difficult to tell what is legitimate. I've pasted a link below.

Austin Home Search Lease (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Search/Lease.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess "too suburban" was not the right description, and I'm sure Round Rock could work for us as well. In fact, as it is 90% neither my wife nor I will be commuting downtown, we have quite a bit of flexibility, and after years in the city, the suburbs are starting to sound very appealing!

I am using local sites now to browse offerings, and am in contact with a local realtor to help us with the relocation. I have actually seen quite a few homes we liked (3/3 w/yard, newish, 1300+ sq ft.) in our price range, and we are willing perhaps to stretch a bit if we really like the place. The idea of having a community pool, like some of the places I've seen so far in Cedar Park, is also really appealing to us.

Again, thanks for the help, Ill start checking out places in Round Rock as well!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 AM

88 posts, read 227,650 times
Round Rock has some dual language schools. There is one that opened just this year, Herrington Elementary, you might want to check out.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 PM

69 posts, read 159,561 times
Hello,
Just wondering if you had gotten to Austin and found a dual immersion school. We are making the move and a dual immersion school is tops on my list of must haves. Where are your kids at how do you like that school? Thanks!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,073 times
Hello! I know this is a very old post, but I just came across it, and was wondering how the adjustment was from Buenos Aires to Austin. In which area did you decide to live? I have a very similar story to yours. I am returning back to the states after 7 years of living in Buenos Aires, and Austin is an option. My husband is Agentine and we have two small children. I am originally from New York as well. We need to be close to an airport hub because my husband travels a lot to South America for work. Dallas and Miami are the most convenient, but Austin seems like a better place to raise our family. I'd love to hear any thoughts from others who have relocated as well. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,886,288 times
San Antonio has a really good dual-language program FYI. I have several friends with kids in it. Here's one - ELL

Old 08-05-2015, 10:45 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
San Antonio has a really good dual-language program FYI. I have several friends with kids in it. Here's one - ELL
I would think seriously about SA as well. The N side (Stone Oak, etc) is a great place to raise a family. There are many Mexican national families living there, so it is a very bi-cultural, middle to upper middle class community.

Also, AeroMexico has direct flights to Mexico City from SA where you can connect throughout Central and S America with shorter total travel times because you are going more direct than going to Houston, Atlanta or Dallas to connect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin