Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance are really wanting to move to austin after this summer. We live in Indiana and are just no happy here. My parents told us that they would give us 5,000 dollars for a wedding or honeymoon or whatever we wanted to use it for (which is amazing!). We both are not wedding people and were wanting to use that money for a permanent honeymoon in Austin. Right now would be the best time for us to move. We are both 22 and have no set careers or kids yet. I want to attend school in austin to be an ultrasound tech. He is working for a temp agency right now and could do the same there until he finds what he wants to do. Im scared to tell my parents what we want to do with the money. Not sure how to tell them or if they would give it to us anymore. any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,762,107 times
Austin Community College has a sonography (ultrasound tech) program...keep in mind that it is very competitive to get into, and it requires prerequisite classes as well as a CNA certification. You will need to be gainfully employed in Texas for 1 year before you will be eligible for in-state tuition...then you'll need to live "in-district", meaning you pay City of Austin taxes, to be able to receive the cheapest tuition...once you do that it's quite inexpensive! But it will be significantly more expensive if you pay out-of-state/out-of-district tuition rates.

You'll probably want to budget out what you want to pay for rent, etc. and then figure out a plan for getting jobs. Do y'all have any work experience? Except for a few fields, there can be pretty tough competition for work. 5 grand is a good start but will only get you so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: