Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
The only real bar scene (gay or not) is down around the Austin area. There's not much in the way of good bars/clubs in the Belton/Temple/Killeen area, or at least I haven't seen them. Austin has better shopping as well even though the some of the same stores may exist in Temple or Belton the inventory of the Austin stores seems fresher. And of course you'd need to make regular trips down to Austin if you want to see live entertainment/cultural events. Those are just some of the things off the top of my head.
Most of the things you are saying are an opinion though.....my opinion differs. As the OP asked for opinions, that's fine. I am not sure why you are crapping all over me though? If you have a differing opinion, just say so. Shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Belton is a long, freaking way from Austin. How far is it from Waco? Probably closer to Waco than Austin.

In my mental map of "Central Texas" Georgetown, Jarrell, even Salado make the cut. But Belton . . .

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Belton is a tad too far from Austin for a comfortable commute. My husbands previous job had him commuting to Temple on a daily basis for nearly a year, and it didn't make him very happy, and we live in Hutto which is only a tad closer than Austin would be. I imagine that people probably come into Austin to go to certain festivals and maybe bring out of town guests to do Austin-y things, like tour the capital or see a ballet/opera/show of some sort. They probably rent a hotel room or something though, to spend the night, because it would be a little too far to come to Austin, stay until after midnight and then drive back.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Belton is a long, freaking way from Austin. How far is it from Waco? Probably closer to Waco than Austin.

In my mental map of "Central Texas" Georgetown, Jarrell, even Salado make the cut. But Belton . . .
Belton actually not that far, Its only 20 Mins from Georgetown. Any town or city above Jarrell is considered part of the Killeen- Temple metropolitan area.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Most of the things you are saying are an opinion though.....my opinion differs. As the OP asked for opinions, that's fine. I am not sure why you are crapping all over me though? If you have a differing opinion, just say so. Shrug
I'm not sure WTF you're talking about. I was just listing the things that people I know who live in the area go to Austin for on relatively regular basis. They aren't going there for these things daily but quite a few head down there a couple times a month. The OP asked if people go down to Austin from Belton to do things and my experience is yes they do. I and my wife don't go to Austin very often (we can get what we need around here) and the only time we really do is to hang out with friends and hit up the bar scene.

You on the other hand said the only reason people have to go to Austin is for gay bars which is one of the weirder things I've ever read in this forum. Which is why I responded to it. Again my last response was not opinions it's a list of things that people I know who live in the Temple/Belton area go to Austin for on a semi-regular basis. You really need to lighten up.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
I'm not sure WTF you're talking about. I was just listing the things that people I know who live in the area go to Austin for on relatively regular basis. They aren't going there for these things daily but quite a few head down there a couple times a month. The OP asked if people go down to Austin from Belton to do things and my experience is yes they do. I and my wife don't go to Austin very often (we can get what we need around here) and the only time we really do is to hang out with friends and hit up the bar scene.

You on the other hand said the only reason people have to go to Austin is for gay bars which is one of the weirder things I've ever read in this forum. Which is why I responded to it. Again my last response was not opinions it's a list of things that people I know who live in the Temple/Belton area go to Austin for on a semi-regular basis. You really need to lighten up.
Sigh.. Perhaps you should learn the phrase "tongue in cheek".

Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 27,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Sigh.. Perhaps you should learn the phrase "tongue in cheek".
okay okay , clam down, the internet hate machine doesnt need more fuel.

-- im from the northeast. We always hear about how great Austin is....progressive, up and coming, etc etc,,,

but i have a lot of small town in me..... Im just worried about being "new".....makes sense?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM

122 posts, read 310,428 times
I live in Belton and go to Austin when I get the chance. There are a lot of cool small stores and places to eat there. There is far more interesting things to do there than in the Temple area. I came from a city of 1/2 a million people and going to Austin feels more like home to me, unfortunately, home prices are too high for me to live there.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_NURSES View Post

-- im from the northeast. We always hear about how great Austin is....progressive, up and coming, etc etc,,,

but i have a lot of small town in me..... Im just worried about being "new".....makes sense?

Totally, which is why I answered your question. You prolly will not need to travel to Austin except on those rare rare occasions you want someting "exotic" otherwise everything you need is much closer. This is what most people are saying.

Unfortuantely some posters think they own city-data and you can't joke around. Shrug.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_NURSES View Post

As pretty much everyone else said you'll probably be making fairly regular trips to Austin (once or twice a month) for things you can't find in the Belton/Temple area. The trip down I-35 isn't a fun one but it's not too bad if you don't do it too often (and the weekends aren't too bad if it's not a holiday or big event weekend). Belton's not too bad a place to live especially if you can stand the summers. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin