Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

319 posts, read 610,158 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Boston and occasionally buy food from a local place called Healthy Habits. They do everything except for cook the food and provide the instructions for how to do it at a cost of about $5/meal (1 person). Is there anything like this in Austin? I'd be in or around Northwest Hills probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
Could check out the meal plan boxes from Greenling. I think it works out to $8/meal but it's local and/or organic.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I'm moving from Boston and occasionally buy food from a local place called Healthy Habits. They do everything except for cook the food and provide the instructions for how to do it at a cost of about $5/meal (1 person). Is there anything like this in Austin? I'd be in or around Northwest Hills probably.
not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean you get totally raw ingredients? Or the stuff is precooked and you heat it up?

all of these places precook as far as I can tell. We have only used ate foods.

Dream Dinners - Reserve a Meal Assembly Session

thestudiokitchen.com

Snap Kitchen

we use ..:: ATE.FOODS ::.. where they actually cook the meals

Prepared meals Austin

Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
Chronicle did a review of these type of places with an emphasis on healthy food. I'd search on their web site.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post

The only "cook it yourself" places I know of have been referred to as

"The grocery store" or "The Market" for years. Easy to find, easy to wander through, carts provided, food is not cooked, no directions given, cost is usually less than $5.00 per meal.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
There is a place similar to Dream Dinners in Sunset Valley, next to the Tarka restaurant. I don't remember the name, nor have I ever used it. But this is in SW Austin, and doesn't sound like it would be too useful to the OP.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
You can't cook your own food?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
You can't cook your own food?
I think you misunderstood the question. OP is talking about a fairly new concept in food service in which you pick up a package in which the raw ingredients for a dinner have been cleaned, chopped, spiced and assembled, all ready for you to cook at home.

The first wave was "take and bake" pizza places, where you buy a fully built but uncooked pizza, which you bake at home. Several of those have been around Austin for a while.

I've also seen "ready to cook" packs on occasion at upscale markets like Whole Foods and Central Market, but it's not a category that interests me personally so I can't say how well it has caught on here.

The pitch is that you get a fresh cooked dinner without all the prep time, rather a warmed up dinner that was fully prepared.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM

319 posts, read 610,158 times
I've got a toddler at home and another on the way. My wife doesn't do a lot of household chores and I've got some food sensitivities which require me to cook meals separately for myself. I refuse to feed my family junk food and that covers just about everything processed in the supermarket. The result is that 3 different meals need to be prepared and I work full time. I spend 2-3 hours a night preparing 2 meals but for the third I've been utilizing a service like the one linked. They cut, chop, clean, shop, etc and all you have to do is follow the directions. It's like a frozen stir-fry except with 1000mg of sodium and all kinds of ingredients which are questionably food.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Why would you make 3 different meals for everyone? That's too much work Use the food service for everyone and shop the outer aisles of the store. I've got a picky daughter and husband, so I will sometimes tweak ingredients in something because I know they don't like something or are sensitive to it, but I make it one meal. Some friends of mine have used a service before, but I don't remember the name of it. I do know they really were happy with the food. They had to go in and assemble everything, I believe, and then they took it home. It wasn't predone for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin