Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 11,492 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are looking to buy a spec home in the Ranch at Brushy Creek -- the builder is Standard Pacific Homes. We're looking for any recommendations for a home inspector that has worked with Standard Pacific in the past.

Our first choice for an inspector let us know that Standard Pacific was asking for him to have what he thought were ridiculous limits on insurance and signing forms that he didn't want to sign. He does not want to work with Standard Pacific.

A quick google search indicated that he's not the only inspector that has run into this problem in the past. We really like the home and are on an accelerated schedule for closing so if anyone has a recommendation of someone who has worked with this builder in the past, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

P.S. I did search this forum and found some recs for inspectors, but not sure if they will work with Standard Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,696 times
Any home inspector can inspect any home. You might want one that has zero ties to Standard Pacific, especially. You don't want bias. I don't think you will find an inspector that does just one brand of home, anyway.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks jane - that was my perception as well going into this. My main concern is not being able to find one that will work with Standard Pacific's "rules". I definitely want one that will not be biased toward them as we want to shake out any issues during the inspection.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
That just raises a big red flag for me.

Sounds like Standard Pacific is limiting who can inspect their homes by setting the standards so high that only a few will qualify... which means they can throw business to a few... yes, currying favor with those few. And since those few have paid more for their insurance, etc., they'll naturally be interested in protecting their relationships with SP, therefore shading their judgment a bit.

IOW, it's a conflict of interest they've built in. I'd be very suspicious.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I don't know if any of my inspectors work with Standard Pacific "rules" as in my 12 years, I've only had 1 buyer ever get the inspection on a new house prior to buying. ALl my other buyers do their inspection at the 10-11 month mark to be able to give the builder a bunch list before the 1 year warranty runs out. This seems to work best for many people because then you've been in the house for a few months, the new systems have run for most of each season, and it's a better tell on whether or not something was installed improperly or not... just my thought, but might be something to think about.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
You have the right to inspect the home, and the builder can't dictate who you use or don't use. When pushed, they will abandone that stance.

I use Glen Davis.
Glen Davis CBO, MCP dba Eagle Inspection

Very thorough, knows all the builders and their quirks.

Good Luck,

Steve

Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't know if any of my inspectors work with Standard Pacific "rules" as in my 12 years, I've only had 1 buyer ever get the inspection on a new house prior to buying. ALl my other buyers do their inspection at the 10-11 month mark to be able to give the builder a bunch list before the 1 year warranty runs out. This seems to work best for many people because then you've been in the house for a few months, the new systems have run for most of each season, and it's a better tell on whether or not something was installed improperly or not... just my thought, but might be something to think about.
We did just what FHW said when we built our home three years ago. We had a friend who is an electrician/builder walk through it periodically, then we used the Cedar Park city inspections to ensure all was in line (they are VERY VERY thorough and picky to the builders!). Then before our one-year warranty was up, we hired an independent inspector and turned the results over to our builder to complete as warranty work.

We are right next to you in Walsh Trails...welcome, neighbor! Those houses back there are going up quickly (we miss our trees back there...) but they look nice.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks for responses everyone. We've got an appt scheduled with another one for next week and we will see if it happens. I did see some anecdotes in other forums about having an inspector out in the first year of being in a new home, so if it comes to that and we end up set on this house, we will perhaps go that route. I appreciate the feedback and sharing of your personal experiences.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gegtx View Post
Thanks for responses everyone. We've got an appt scheduled with another one for next week and we will see if it happens. I did see some anecdotes in other forums about having an inspector out in the first year of being in a new home, so if it comes to that and we end up set on this house, we will perhaps go that route. I appreciate the feedback and sharing of your personal experiences.
I would not recommend waiting for repairs to things that are not right at closing, unless they are minor cosmetic things that are not deal breakers.

I closed two new homes in December and both buyers hired my inspector (listed above) and each home had problems that needed addressing before I'd let my buyers close, as is always the case with new homes. Each one was also like pulling teeth (which is unusual actually) to get the builder to make it all right, not so much from lack of willingness but lack of competence.

If you can't get cooperation up front to even be allowed to use your own inspector for an inspection, I'd think carefully about the level of cooperation you might later experience for warranty work.

Dealing with these builders is somewhat of an art. You don't want to blow all of your "complaint capital" on small stuff, like griping about litter on the job site, or nearly indescribable stuff like a slightly crooked switch plate cover, but you also don't want to let them intimidate you into submission, or acceptance of subpar work, which will be found on EVERY new home when properly inspected.

Your Realtor should be running interference on all of this for you, making it less stressful for you. If you don't have a Realtor, you'll need a good inspector like Glen at Eagle who does a lot of new home inspection and can interface with the construction superintendent. And you'll want to get all agreements for corrections in writing. The best way to achieve that is to send the inspection report with language such as:

... "Please confirm in writing that all items flagged in the attached inspection report will be cured prior to the final walk-though. If there are inspection issues you disagree with or are unable/unwilling to cure, please provide an explanation and rationale. Otherwise, I want all items listed to be corrected/repaired"....

Steve

Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
We used Eagle on our houses one a resale, the other a new one. In both cases they were very helpful. For the new house it was helpful to find some things prior to the closing of the house that got fixed prior to closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin