Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be repeating myself, but the last thread I started came up with an incomplete title. I'm not sure how I managed that.

I'm trying to find a recommendation for a company to replace my wood privacy fence. I'm in SW Austin.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
We had a great experience with Lott Fence. Even though they are near Round Rock, I am sure they'd have no problem coming to SW Austin to do the job.
Lott Fence: Austin, Texas, Residential, Commercial, Agricultural, Wood, Privacy, Chain Link, Barbed Wire, Gates, Barrier Posts

Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Sorry to be repeating myself, but the last thread I started came up with an incomplete title. I'm not sure how I managed that.

I'm trying to find a recommendation for a company to replace my wood privacy fence. I'm in SW Austin.

Thanks
I'm curious as to why people in Texas do not stain or protect their wood fences? It seems as though 80%+ of fences are not protected from the elements, and end up looking like complete garbage in a year or so.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
I'm curious as to why people in Texas do not stain or protect their wood fences? It seems as though 80%+ of fences are not protected from the elements, and end up looking like complete garbage in a year or so.
I can tell you why I don't - because it takes a lot of time and money to do it and with the sun here it does not last long so you have to keep doing it. Also, I'm not sure how much it helps especially if the neighbors on the other side of the fence don't do it.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

114 posts, read 350,764 times
So its cheaper to buy new fence than to paint or stain them?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
First Alarm Fencing - Ronnie Tidwell 512:825-5066 or firstalarmfencing@yahoo.com; he's an Austin Firefighter who has a fencing company on the side.

And we did stain our fence. Bought two big five-gallon buckets of cedar-colored oil-based stain from HD and some brushes and got after it. It took the two of us a couple of weekends, especially with the good-neighbor style fence, but we just put on music and made some frozen adult beverages, and got after it! We tried spraying (a HUGE mess!) and rolling (uh, no) and determined the brushes worked the best and gave the best amount of coverage. It looks worlds better than the ugly gray ones around. Makes it a much more enjoyable view from our windows!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I haven't done a comparison. One side of my yard has a completely rotted out fence, as are my two front gates, so I have to do something about it. I would think, if cost effectiveness was your goal, that putting in steel posts would be the way to go, as I understand these will last through three fences, while wood posts will not. It does depend on your neighbors and other factors, however. I got one estimate, but need another. I don't know about the longevity of a fence with and without staining, especially if it's only on one side.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I haven't done a comparison. One side of my yard has a completely rotted out fence, as are my two front gates, so I have to do something about it. I would think, if cost effectiveness was your goal, that putting in steel posts would be the way to go, as I understand these will last through three fences, while wood posts will not. It does depend on your neighbors and other factors, however. I got one estimate, but need another. I don't know about the longevity of a fence with and without staining, especially if it's only on one side.
It is usually the posts and rails that rot out or get eaten by termites that fail first. Staining them won't make much difference in that regard. Putting in steel posts is definitely the way to go. I did that on my last fence replacement, this was on only 1 side of the yard.

The best bid I received (August 2007) was from:
Brent Mullens
Allied Fence Company
Estimator
512-255-5416 Office

Quote:
$1,459.00 is the approx. total for 80' 6' wd/st, with 80' tear out and 1 gate. That is 1x4x6 cedar pickets, 3-2x4 treated runners.
That was 80' long, 6' high wood privacy fence with 1.5" galvanized steel posts, 1x4x6 cedar pickets. and 3 treated wood runners or rails, including tearing out and hauling off 80' of old fence.

Most other companies provided only two horizontal runners or rails. No one wanted to bid on treated pickets, they all advised that treated wood pickets warped so badly that they could not warranty any of it if installed, several would not even install them if the owner insisted upon it. They did a good job and that fence still looks great.

My neighbor and I priced replacing it ourselves, materials alone was $500. After trying to dig two post holes in our rocky ground we were glad to hire someone else to install it and haul off the refuse.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
The quality of the materials can certainly make a difference. I've seen new fences that were nearly transparent...the wood was so porous. Fortunately, the builders of our home went with a pretty good cedar--wider planks--properly attached except they didn't use a third cross-piece for support. If there are kids slamming into the fence or kicking balls at it all day, that middle rail can make a big difference. Also helps keep the pickets from warping.

I've seen some pretty decent composite fences made with horizontal planks(usually a border fence for a neighborhood). I wonder if a vertical set-up would be cost-effective in the long run. I'm hoping we have another eight years out of our fence...not looking forward to replacing it any time soon.

One of the most depressing sights on our house-hunt in Austin was the mushroom shaped bleached-out areas on nearly all the wood fencing we saw in otherwise attractive neighborhoods. Golly, that's UGLY...REALLY ugly! Adjust your dang sprinklers and stain your fences, for cryin' out loud!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The quality of the materials can certainly make a difference. I've seen new fences that were nearly transparent...the wood was so porous. Fortunately, the builders of our home went with a pretty good cedar--wider planks--properly attached except they didn't use a third cross-piece for support. If there are kids slamming into the fence or kicking balls at it all day, that middle rail can make a big difference. Also helps keep the pickets from warping.

I've seen some pretty decent composite fences made with horizontal planks(usually a border fence for a neighborhood). I wonder if a vertical set-up would be cost-effective in the long run. I'm hoping we have another eight years out of our fence...not looking forward to replacing it any time soon.

One of the most depressing sights on our house-hunt in Austin was the mushroom shaped bleached-out areas on nearly all the wood fencing we saw in otherwise attractive neighborhoods. Golly, that's UGLY...REALLY ugly! Adjust your dang sprinklers and stain your fences, for cryin' out loud!
By planks, do you mean pickets or slats (the vertical face of the fence)? Wider pickets are prone to cupping and warping more then narrower, stay with the 1x4's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin