Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool View Post
My wife and I got back from a 4 day visit to Austin on Monday night. We live in Martinez, CA and are looking to relocate so went to visit some friends that moved there about 8-9 months ago.

WE LOVED IT!

Really could not believe how much we liked it. Granted the weather was near perfect while we were there but the geography and people were very refreshing. Our impression was it was a very friendly environment and the landscape was much prettier than CA people make it out to be. Kinda reminded us of the Lake Berryessa area in CA a bit with the hills and oak trees.

We had great food at The County Line on the lake, Ski Shores Cafe, Home Slice, and also down in SA at the riverwalk. We caught Junior Brown at the Continental Club on Sunday night which was a blast. We looked at rental homes in the Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Steiner Ranch areas as well as a few in New Braunfels on the way to SA.

Really a great trip and made us feel much better about looking for work in Austin. My wife lost her job in Jan and mine is set to expire by year end so hopefully we can find something good in Austin. We are both still looking in CA but family is the only thing that is keeping us here so we will either follow the work to SoCal (still leaving our family support system), or Austin. I just wanted to share my brief impression for any other potential transplants
cool! And since county line bbq sucks, when you eat good bbq you will really be amazed. (county line may have been my first bbq in austin too).

Also keep in mind this weather definitely is perfect and we do get it from about oct to apr, but the rest of the year is pretty hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 34,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
check the Texas Dept of Insurance. They have a large insurance fraud investigation division.
Thanks, been watching that one as well as the State Auditor's office. Would be nice to get a job working remote, that way I could still have a CA income but TX COL. Some good stuff here and there in SA but that would be a rough commute unless I could work from home a couple days a week.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Martinez is a pretty nice place, with the exception of the refinery smell that seems to waft in sometimes... I lived in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill for a few years. The Lake Berryessa comparison is pretty close, just throw a about 10 degrees+ for the hot days, and 10 degrees minus for the cold ones and it's pretty dang close weather wise as well - although it does seem the spring is much, much shorter here.

You were spot-on with the people factor, night and day difference from the bay. I personally have found Austin to be a very easy place to conform to in this regard - heck, Texas in general is a much friendlier and people-oriented place than CA. Most everyone here is far more concerned with quality of life than quantity of life, which I find relaxing after 20+ years split between the Bay and SoCal.

Now, that county line on 2222 is a cool place to eat, but the BBQ is definitely better elsewhere - it's a great place to start as you explore your way through the area, and that's half the fun of moving to a different locale and culture.

Steiner is a cool place, it's where I lived when first moving here, a bit over-priced compared to other options in the Cedar Park/RR and even North Austin areas that will still deliver the same neighborhood dynamic (for the most part), and still leave you close to downtown, etc.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Either way, good luck on the job hunt!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM

206 posts, read 370,204 times
I travel a lot for business, and i'm relieved every time I touch down at ABIA. This town has a lot of love to give, and it shows. It just takes some people a little longer to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin