Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times

Advertisements

Hi! My Husband and I are contemplating a move to Austin and are looking for a place to buy a home. He will be working in Pflugerville. I found a place I love in Steiner Ranch but am worried about the commute. Mapquest says 37 minutes which seems so long. Is this accurate? We have 4 small children and the area seems perfect - just what we were looking for. Any info would be great Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM

95 posts, read 181,823 times
The commute is around 20 miles (it depends where in Steiner, and where exactly in Pflugerville).

I've done the same in the last year or so: it greatly depends of the time of the day you commute. Steiner exit is a single row, and can be tough if you hit the elementary schools entrance time. Another bad hit can be the crossroad 620-2222.

If you leave just past 8am, the average is 40 minutes, falling down to 25-30 during summer time (no schools). In the evening it's the same: 5-6pm in tough, but still in that range...if you leave the office later, traffic is cooling down.

To me this traffic and duration of commute are still light, giving my overseas background, but I learnt they're considered nearly crazy from some local friends I have.

HTH

Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 AM

326 posts, read 685,025 times
This commute is similar to the one that I drive. I drive from West Austin off of Bee Cave Rd to northern Round Rock - almost Georgetown. It's really not that bad. It takes me about 45 minutes during rush hour. I would imagine that the commute from Steiner to Pflugerville would be about the same.

I say that if you really love Steiner and think it would be great for your children, then go ahead and do the 45 minute commute. It's worth it...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
The Steiner exit is not a single row. There are two dedicated lanes for turning right at the main exit. The middle lane used to be a turn right and a turn left, but it's now only a turn right lane. You can also exit out by the Steakhouse. Either way, it's going to be about 30 minutes. The 45 tollway is 75 MPH so it goes fast.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Taking the toll road every day would definitely add up and could be pretty expensive, but that would definitely cut down on the commute. This is completely a guess, but I would bet that it would cost him something like $120 to $150 per month if used every day both ways. If anyone knows exact toll road fees for that commute, please post it.

There are some really nice neighborhoods with good schools much closer to Pflugerville that should be considered. Forest Creek in Round Rock is a golf course community that would be a very short commute. Avery Ranch and Ranch at Brushy Creek should be considered as well. Steiner is great for a family, but it's sort of isolated and the traffic can be unpredictable when going that distance. Somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes depending on the day sounds about right with an average of 40 minutes.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I was going to suggest Forest Creek as well! Definitely worth a close look. And such a shorter commute!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM

26 posts, read 81,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Taking the toll road every day would definitely add up and could be pretty expensive, but that would definitely cut down on the commute. This is completely a guess, but I would bet that it would cost him something like $120 to $150 per month if used every day both ways. If anyone knows exact toll road fees for that commute, please post it.
It would about $30 without a tag. $0.75 to get on, they would take the free exit for 35 south. It would be the same route back in reverse, free entrance at La Frontera and $0.75 when they exit.

$1.50 a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month = $30, less if you have a tag.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I use a very similar route only when visiting my parents in Cedar Park from Round Rock or going to Lakeline.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
If they enter at Lake Creek and exit at Pecan St on the 'back side' of Pf, it looks like $1.81 each way with a TxTag. Not too shabby to avoid 35 and keep cruising @ 75mph! As mentioned, the actual ingress/egress points will cause the cost to vary. I'd still vote to NOT choose that commute distance/time/cost without some seriously interesting factors to require it.

It's not the toll road that will drive you nuts on a commute like that twice a day.
Here's the link to the toll calculator if you want to play with it:
Austin Toll Calculator | TxTag

Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
I would not willingly make that commute everyday when there are so many nice places to live that are much closer to Pflugerville. Keep looking.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
All it takes is one nasty accident or bad weather to turn that "40 minute drive" into an hour and a half of stop and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin