Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM

160 posts, read 233,375 times

Advertisements

I saw something about sometimes getting below zero?

I'm trying to decide if I should get rid of our heavy winter jackets and if it gets cold, just layer a spring/fall jacket over a sweater? I even do that here in MT sometimes. I'm originally from northern Minnesota and used to REALLY cold weather, though I totally hate it. And what about heavy hats and gloves?
I know I'm selling/giving away the snowpants. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I saw something about sometimes getting below zero?

I'm trying to decide if I should get rid of our heavy winter jackets and if it gets cold, just layer a spring/fall jacket over a sweater? I even do that here in MT sometimes. I'm originally from northern Minnesota and used to REALLY cold weather, though I totally hate it. And what about heavy hats and gloves?
I know I'm selling/giving away the snowpants. Haha.
This year(so far) you wouldn't have needed ANY cold weather gear considering your background. Of course, if you travel west or north in Texas, you'll find some pretty interesting winter weather--even only as far north as Dallas might you encounter some nasty winter-ness that didn't make it to Austin. Having said that, LAST winter had a few days that never topped freezing and I believe three nights in a row that hit 20 degrees or close to it. Wouldn't hurt to have a light sweater for THOSE nights .

I'd say keep ONE of each winter garment and cut the rest loose, unless you just don't mind having more 'stuff' than you need. Vests come in very handy around here when the temps are pretty cool in the morning but warm considerably by afternoon. It's not like a desert cool-down after the sun sets, but it can be 40s in the AM and 80s after lunch.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I assume you are coming to Austin, since you posted here?

The weather almanac shows that we average 19 days below freezing each year. The record all-time low was -2 F in January of 1949. The lowest that I can recall in my (not inconsequential) lifespan is 8 degrees. Many, many years it does not every get below 20, much less 0.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
ditch the gear, you won't need it here.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Moved here 20 years ago, still have a trunk in the attic with two types of long underwear and wool sweaters, never ever used them.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I have a nice down coat in the closet that I wore often in Colorado. I've probably worn it only 3 or 4 times in 35 years in Texas.

That "sometimes getting below zero" here is in the wee morning hours. If you work outdoors often, or at night, you may need warmer clothing more often, but you will probably be better off planning on wearing layers you can shed as the day warms. I don't think I've worn any long underwear in TX except for a couple of January Frost Bite sailboat races. Most winters a light coat, over long sleeved shirt and long pants is about all I ever needed. For construction job site visits I might keep a heavier coat in the car just in case, but rarely ever used it.

It rains often here during cold weather in winter, so down clothing is not a good option, down does no good if it gets wet. You are better off with fleece and multiple layers under a rain resistant shell. Even then the rain resistant shell can often become uncomfortable with the greater humidity here. Speaking as someone who originally worked as a land surveyor in Wyoming during some brutal, windy winters and later in Colorado and Arizona.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM

160 posts, read 233,375 times
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be ditching my heavy winter gear then.
And, yes, my family is moving to Austin in a couple weeks.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Spring is already in full force here and will be even more so when you move. Spring has sprung by March most years in Austin.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,441 times
Dude they barely sell jackets here. No winter gear required but maybe maybe an ice scraper for the windshield.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
ditch the gear, you won't need it here.
That's what we did before moving to San Antonio from the upper midwest. Donated all of our down and the wool hats to the needy.

Down here, it's best to dress in layers. If it's 35 in the morning when you leave for work, it could be 65 when you come home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: