Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 AM

108 posts, read 274,622 times

Advertisements

We've been looking for houses for quite some time in Northwest Austin. There were not many houses earlier this year, but for the last 3 weeks, there are some activity. If the house is good, it either gets sold before it hits the MLS or within few days. Even if we're ready to offer full price there is no guarantee that we'll get the house since there are buyers willing to pay/paying more than the asking price.

If the trend goes on like this the prices are going to go up and there aren't going to be houses in the market for buyers like us. How do we be hopeful that we'll find a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
You know I was hoping some realtors would chime in here. I'm feeling the same way. We've been looking to relocate NW nearer to work and the kids, but we're not finding much on the market we like. Since we're not selling our current home, we are somewhat limited in our budget, but I was sure we could find something until we started looking. I'm not looking for a forever home, we just want something we can live in comfortably for the next 5 years. Since I haven't been househunting for an existing home...well...ever...I didn't expect it to be so difficult.

I know what you mean about them selling so fast - a few I have seen hit the MLS are gone in less than a week. I guess for us, the only saving grace is that we don't have any requirement to move on a specific schedule.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
For quite some time it's been a buyer's market. It's beginning to even out a little bit and even, in some areas, become a seller's market. It's not a "crazy" market, it's an adjusting market.

As you said, inventory was light in the area you're looking in earlier in the year, and you likely were not the only person looking. So as inventory comes on the market (usually does in the spring), houses are going to be snapped up pretty quickly. What does your agent have to say?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM

My agent is confident that we'll find "a" house. I do think that we'll find a house, but I'm scared since the houses that are good goes real quick once it hits the market or even before it's listed.

Not sure if we'll be to find one before interest rates go up.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
My agent says pretty much the same thing as you said! I'm curious what factors cause it to be a buyers market vs a sellers. Certainly the fact that interest rates are so low make it really attractive to buy a home right now. But I'd also think it would be a good time for a seller to trade up. My search is complicated by the fact that we are looking at older homes and there are all sorts of challenges there!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,351 times
A lot of pent up demand. I know several couple getting out of rentals and looking to buy in central Austin.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
There are a lot of people moving to Austin and the rental market is at 95% occupancy, that puts more pressure on the housing market for people who can afford to buy. A lot of renters have been sitting on the fence waiting to buy after the economy showed some signs of improving, which seems to be happening. Many people who already have a house, are nervous about "moving up" and getting into more debt until they feel the economy is solid. So no rush to trade up if you already have a comfortable place to live. There have not been many new houses built in recent years compared to in the past, so the options are limited for moving up, yet the city kept on growing in population. So it doesn't surprise me that its getting hard to find available housing in popular areas.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
We've been looking for houses for quite some time in Northwest Austin. There were not many houses earlier this year, but for the last 3 weeks, there are some activity. If the house is good, it either gets sold before it hits the MLS or within few days. Even if we're ready to offer full price there is no guarantee that we'll get the house since there are buyers willing to pay/paying more than the asking price.

If the trend goes on like this the prices are going to go up and there aren't going to be houses in the market for buyers like us. How do we be hopeful that we'll find a house?
here is an article from the northwest austin impact newspaper about the nw austin housing market. It corroborates what you are experiencing.

Austin | Housing market begins to favor sellers, Realtors say - Community Impact Newspaper

Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM

87 posts, read 166,877 times
Ugh! We are going through the exact same thing in SW Austin. There were so many houses just sitting on the market for months last year, and then February rolls around, right around the time we got all of our finances together and ready to buy, and BAM! Houses are getting snatched up left and right! We put an offer on a house last week, 5 hours after it went on the market, for the listing price, and we got outbid! I really wish we had pulled things together to move late last year, but we just weren't ready. I hope we can find something before the interest rates go up. We got quoted 3.875% in our pre-approval.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Even houses that were having difficulties getting sold in the last 4 years (on and off) got sold within couple days. Off late, houses get into MLS after it's getting sold. I would say that in the area that we're looking there are only 4-5 houses under 450k that not under contract. Good luck to ourselves .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin