Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 19,989 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are going to be relocating to the Austin area (probably north/ near Round Rock) sometime this summer, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on broadband Internet or bundle/ triple-play providers. I've tried plugging addresses from various properties on the real estate listings into the AT&T U-verse, Verizion FiOS and Comcast XFinity sites, and the sites never seem to be able to find the properties. Have these services not been rolled out in the Austin area yet? It appears that Time Warner has a bundle but I had Time Warner for a while in Chicago and was not impressed.

Right now, in Chicago, we have a patchwork system of Speakeasy for phone/ DSL, DirecTV for TV and AT&T for our iPhones. We're paying more than we probably need to, but AT&T screwed us over a few years ago and Comcast jerked us around before failing to install a triple play package that was the precursor to Xfinity, so I've got negative feelings about both. Nonetheless, if that's the route we have to go, that's the route we'll go.

I saw a thread from last year about this, but a lot can change in a year, so any updated advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I have the AT&T Uverse bundle in SW Austin, and like it more then when I had a similar package with Time Warner. Costs are about the same. Service has been better with AT&T.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 19,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Service has been better with AT&T.
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen those six words in that order before.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmon View Post
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen those six words in that order before.
You've obviously never used Time Warner

Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
You've obviously never used Time Warner
I've had the exact opposite. Nothing but trouble with at&t and nothing but good service from TW. I swear it's a flip of the coin.

You won't find Verizon or Comcast in those areas. You should be able to get ATT Uverse, Time Warner, Direct TV with DSL, and maybe even Grande in some areas. Bundled services will definitely save you money.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've had the exact opposite. Nothing but trouble with at&t and nothing but good service from TW. I swear it's a flip of the coin.

You won't find Verizon or Comcast in those areas. You should be able to get ATT Uverse, Time Warner, Direct TV with DSL, and maybe even Grande in some areas. Bundled services will definitely save you money.
Yup, def luck of the draw and it's an always changing situation. When I had TW, I didn't start having my issues until I upgraded to HD (many moons ago). I'd have the receiver constantly resetting and my RR would drop sometimes almost daily. The real killer though was the customer service and in particular, one specific incident that was basically "the straw".

I would like to switch over to uverse, primarily to get their faster internet , but also with an eye towards getting their tv service as well. I cant get past the lousy HD quality though (compared to Dish). I checked again at an AT&T store just a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed, it looks like they are doing some seriously heavy compression, even on the "big boys" like espn.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM

58 posts, read 135,388 times
Default I dumped my cable

For $10, I picked up an antenna from Best Buy and hooked it up to my TV. I get all the digital local channels very clearly. With the antenna, Apple TV, netflix, and Hulu plus, I have more TV than I can ever watch. I won't ever go back to cable. My only regret is not dumping cable sooner but there isn't alot of information out there on how to do it.

I used TWC for internet access and for the most part, I'm happy with that and am able to get all Netflix streaming and Hulu plus without issues. I have the cheapest internet package that they offer ($35, taxes included)

I use Verizon for my phone needs and haven't had any trouble with service here.

On the AT&T note, I would not go with them. I made my request for what I needed, they couldn't get me set up until 4 days after my initial move to Austin. They tried to charge me for repairs for the land line even though the guy didn't come into the house and I had the in-home warranty. They couldn't get me set up with wireless internet in the house and when I used my own equipment they said they wouldn't support me. I disconnected them after 1 day and then went through 5 months of hell trying to get them to stop billing me $200. I had been with AT&T most of my life and I was extremely disappointed with the service I got here in Austin.

After AT&T, I went with Grande. I was extremely happy with Grande but had to give them up when I moved from the rental to my home.

Hope that helps!
Michelle

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 AM

113 posts, read 371,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milytaylor View Post
For $10, I picked up an antenna from Best Buy and hooked it up to my TV. I get all the digital local channels very clearly. With the antenna, Apple TV, netflix, and Hulu plus, I have more TV than I can ever watch. I won't ever go back to cable. My only regret is not dumping cable sooner but there isn't alot of information out there on how to do it.

I used TWC for internet access and for the most part, I'm happy with that and am able to get all Netflix streaming and Hulu plus without issues. I have the cheapest internet package that they offer ($35, taxes included)

I use Verizon for my phone needs and haven't had any trouble with service here.

On the AT&T note, I would not go with them. I made my request for what I needed, they couldn't get me set up until 4 days after my initial move to Austin. They tried to charge me for repairs for the land line even though the guy didn't come into the house and I had the in-home warranty. They couldn't get me set up with wireless internet in the house and when I used my own equipment they said they wouldn't support me. I disconnected them after 1 day and then went through 5 months of hell trying to get them to stop billing me $200. I had been with AT&T most of my life and I was extremely disappointed with the service I got here in Austin.

After AT&T, I went with Grande. I was extremely happy with Grande but had to give them up when I moved from the rental to my home.

Hope that helps!
Michelle
This is what I've been thinking of doing! The one problem I foresee is televised football games... I hate to pay for cable just for football season but don't know how to get around it.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Verizon FIOS and Comcast are not in the Austin area. Your options are:

1. Time Warner
2. AT&T Uverse (just started about 3 years ago in the Austin area so it hasn't been rolled out everywhere).
3. Direct TV/Dish
4. Antenna
5. Some parts of Austin have Grande Communications (smaller company)
6. Some outlying areas like Georgetown have Suddenlink (bought the area from Cox communications) and it's pretty bad.

Those are all the ones that I can think of right now.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
This is what I've been thinking of doing! The one problem I foresee is televised football games... I hate to pay for cable just for football season but don't know how to get around it.
Try Justin.tv and Filmon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin