Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

I'm new in town and need to be at The Belmont on 305 W. 6th St at noon on Tuesday. Where should I park? I'll be driving from 360 & 2222.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questunknown View Post
I'm new in town and need to be at The Belmont on 305 W. 6th St at noon on Tuesday. Where should I park? I'll be driving from 360 & 2222.
Parking is going to be nasty downtown. Every lot will be hit or miss. Ive managed to park at the hilton during SXSW, there are also lots and a garage at 7th and san jacinto that you may be able to get away parking at (by the omni) but I doubt it. Last year I drove to the plaza saltillo metro rail stop and rode the train in one stop to the convention center.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,879 times
There are two small surface lots on that block, and another at 4th and Guadalupe. You can probably find a space on the street that early in the day.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Street parking around The Belmont will be metered, so it depends on how long you need to be there. If longer than a couple of hours grab one of the small surface lots nearby, or one of the parking garages.

Get there early, and allow lots of time. It's usually a zoo downtown during SXSW, even at noon, although that far away from the Convention Center is not as bad.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Not to get too off subject here, but I thought the Belmont closed last year?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Not to get too off subject here, but I thought the Belmont closed last year?
Yep. And it's a venue for SXSW.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Street parking around The Belmont will be metered, so it depends on how long you need to be there. If longer than a couple of hours grab one of the small surface lots nearby, or one of the parking garages.

Get there early, and allow lots of time. It's usually a zoo downtown during SXSW, even at noon, although that far away from the Convention Center is not as bad.
I was DT yesterday around the Convention Center and noticed a lot of the metered parking spaces are now reserved with the kiosks wrapped up. Not sure the extent of this though.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times
I live in West Austin, and even I don't know what to tell you! My housemate and I took Cap Metro into downtown, didn't even bother with parking. Unfortunately, there's no Cap Metro lines out where you are.

I've only managed to find a parking place once during SXSW in the past three years, and I ended up parking somewhere in East Austin, in a neighborhood. (Which made me feel kinda crappy, because I knew I was in front of someone's house.)

You might look at parking somewhere near a Metro Rail stop and riding into Austin. There seem to be a lot of these stops where you're staying. Just make sure you know when the last train runs, so you won't get stranded! :O

Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 AM

20 posts, read 78,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post

You might look at parking somewhere near a Metro Rail stop and riding into Austin. There seem to be a lot of these stops where you're staying. Just make sure you know when the last train runs, so you won't get stranded! :O
This is exactly what my wife and I did last year. We parked (for free) in a well lit neighborhood near the MLK train stop. Then we took the train into downtown.
Only problem was the train didn't run after midnight but if this doesn't interfere with your plans, I would park near a train stop and ride that into the madness that will be the downtown area.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yep. And it's a venue for SXSW.
I did more research on the venue, and it turns out that The Belmont is now re-opened under new management. Here's a blurb I found about the venue on SXSW 2012 Parties, Panels, Showcases, Free Stuff, RSVP's & More on Do512 on Do512

"After significant renovations, the Belmont re-opens under new
ownership during SXSW 2012 as a 1000 person capacity state-of-the-art
music venue and bar. The new Belmont boasts a utting edge sound and
light system and will host music ranging from the hottest hip hop and
electronic dance music to what’s next in rock’n’roll. The new facelift
includes covered patio space, a back bar and lots of room to get your
groove on. Stay tuned as more improvements and big shows are announced this year!"

On the original topic at hand - I recommend taking public transportation into downtown if at all possible. Parking is going to be a nightmare this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin