Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
(i drive a ray ban vehicle giving people in downtown FREE rides)
I LOVE you guys this week! Y'all and the Chevy people are awesome! <3

I had to get from 9th and Rio Grande to the Convention Center and was dreading the walk and all the zillion huge hills in the heat. Y'all saved my life. lol

It has been a truly awesome week so far. And the rest of this week and this weekend are looking to be unbelievable.

I was at Stubbs last night for the live NPR show to see Fiona Apple, Andrew Bird, and a bunch of others. Such a great night! Very excited about the rest of the week. (seriously anyone claiming there is no great music doesn't know music. And over 2,000 bands to chose from! lol) Oh and before Andrew Bird a band called Alabama Shakes played and they were great.

Thanks again for the free rides random Ray Ban & Chevy cars! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
To avoid SXSW, if that is one's intention, simply give it some distance. Every place downtown is slammed, so don't go there. And relax, it'll soon be over.
I understand you think SXSW is just marvy. But avoiding the impact isn't that simplistic. If you'd seen ABIA Tuesday at 5:15 AM, you'd know. When the UIL moves the boys BB tournament to Dallas, it won't be because they couldn't just avoid downtown. And to compare single day events to a ten day run is an apples to oranges comparison as well. Eeyore's birthday doesn't attract 250k attendees.

And on that last line - you channeling your inner Clayton Williams?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 AM

99 posts, read 207,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
When the UIL moves the boys BB tournament to Dallas, it won't be because they couldn't just avoid downtown.
What's the big deal about UIL boys BB?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Well, SXSW has begun all right.

Last night I came home to find -0- parking places available, including my reserved spot. I should have had the person's car towed and would have, but someone moved out of guest parking and I couldn't be bothered at 10 o'clock at night.

This is precisely what I cannot abide about SXSW — how some people simply do not care if they put neighborhood residents out.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Ugh, absolutely loathe being downtown during sxsw. The presence of the people walking around doesn't really bug me, since I come from NYC and every day it seems like a sxsw situation. What bothers me are the droves of people cramming into the Metrorail and inconveniencing the poor workers who do not happen to be off during this week.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Well, will somebody please run up a green flag when the mob leaves?

I've been under the weather for three weeks, but am now itchin' to get out & about.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelian View Post
What's the big deal about UIL boys BB?
What's the big deal about SXSW?

It is all in what blows your skirt up. I like HS sports. The state tournament has been played in Austin since 1921, first at Gregory Gym then the FEC since 1978. Some of the greatest players in basketball, have played in it including Lamarcus Aldridge, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Bosh, Deron Williams, TJ Ford and some guy named simply Shaq. It has been the constant home of perennial powers such as FW Dunbar and Houston Wheatley. And it all may move due to the crowding out of SXSW.

You may like knowing that The Boss is playing here in an undisclosed location that you almost certainly have no chance of being admitted to. I like knowing I can go down to the FEC and see four days of non-stop basketball with at least one future NBA star every year.

And as far as SXSW "only lasting ten days"? I thought I was staying home next week, only to find out someone wants to see me on the east coast. Tickets Monday, when I am promised SXSW's impact has already ended, when it is all over and all I have to do is "breathe"? $1600, compared to $400 the week after. Thanks for nothing.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
What's the big deal about SXSW?
I thought I was staying home next week, only to find out someone wants to see me on the east coast. Tickets Monday, when I am promised SXSW's impact has already ended, when it is all over and all I have to do is "breathe"? $1600, compared to $400 the week after. Thanks for nothing.
Tickets purchased with less than a 7 or 10 day lead time are often more expensive. Are you sure that's not the reason for the pricing differential?

Steve

Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Tickets purchased with less than a 7 or 10 day lead time are often more expensive. Are you sure that's not the reason for the pricing differential?
That Monday is the big fly-out day after SXSW, and most seats are already sold, so prices are premium. The next day, Tuesday, prices are already back down to nearly normal.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I guess it affects prices, but I just bought (two days ago) a ticket on SW for business travel to Nashville w/o even thinking about SXSW. Anyway, it cost $280 each way, so $560. Got one of their 'room and flight" deals, and it is $566 for a round trip and room after taxes/fees. As far as I can tell, SW does not vary their prices due to intermittent load variations and I did not have trouble getting a flight, either.....

Edit: I just went and checked their prices for Monday, which are up to 329 each way, I presume because of the shorter lead time. There are still multiple flights available. I checked Baltimore to get more 'east coast' and they are $500 each way, but $330ish with a week or more lead time. Three of the eight available flights were booked (3 of the 4 morning ones - seems no on wants 6:00 am )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin