Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM

26 posts, read 48,670 times

Advertisements

I was considering going down to Austin for a couple of days before I found out sxsw was going on. Is it possible to still go down, or is every place crawling with visitors now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM

773 posts, read 1,254,369 times
Depends on which part of Austin you're visiting and your threshold for traffic, traffic and more traffic.

Downtown will be a Ground Zero of all madness, but there are some events going on in South Austin as well. The road closures might throw you, so research these before you depart.

Personally? I live here, and I avoid SXSW at all costs these days. I've been there, done that. I typically go out of town, but this year I'm sort of stuck here.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
The music part has not started yet (I think it starts tomorrow), so it isn't as bad as it will be alter in the week. Also, it is spring break right now for AISD (not sure on UT), so that helps.

Short answer - I doubt it is much of a problem yet, but might be worse as the week goes on?

Personally, I haven't found it to be as bad as rumor has it, usually.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:17 PM

26 posts, read 48,670 times
All I wanted to do was book a nice hotel which is impossible now, or even a cheap 1 star hotel (which is overpriced) hit up 6th st, see a TX Stars game and possibly go see the F1 track site.

Sounds like traffic will ruin things.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Traffic won't get you - the hotels will! Traffci is actually pretty light, all things considered. Having the schools on spring break right now has lightened the load a little.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Can barely tell it's (SXSW) going on...W-A-Y up here in Avery Ranch! I don't know if anyone is staying in Cedar Park/north-north Austin and taking the train in...or not. Seems like a reasonable idea.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
I have friends in town for SXSW, and they had to go out to 183 & MoPac to find hotel rooms... and they booked weeks ago!

6th Street is pretty much Ground Zero for SXSW, with every available club and space booked solid through next week. Long lines at restaurants within a mile. Impossible parking. Street closures. Rain held the crowds down over the weekend, but now... lookout!

What else you wanna know?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,983,252 times
How about traffic on N. Lamar, near Waterloo Records and Cheapo CDs? We always enjoy going to those used CDs stores during the semi-yearly visits (especially since there are no places like that in Houston). Just discovered though that SxSW is going on. Looks like Waterloo is even featuring live music. All of that is cool as long as getting to the stores and parking aren't too bad. Anybody know? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM

135 posts, read 175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwb View Post
I was considering going down to Austin for a couple of days before I found out sxsw was going on. Is it possible to still go down, or is every place crawling with visitors now?
Don't avoid it GO to it, it's great!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
How about traffic on N. Lamar, near Waterloo Records and Cheapo CDs? We always enjoy going to those used CDs stores during the semi-yearly visits (especially since there are no places like that in Houston). Just discovered though that SxSW is going on. Looks like Waterloo is even featuring live music. All of that is cool as long as getting to the stores and parking aren't too bad. Anybody know? Thanks.
Parking will be non-existent. Getting there won't be too bad, but you won't be able to stop unless you get really lucky. I'd get close and bike or walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin