Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,792,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Both of us can fly out of Houston for under $800...which by BTW is totally gawdy. We might just wait until spring...
... just fyi, Continental flies to Cleveland nonstop from Austin. I think round trip is around $300. Much better than having to drive to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
... just fyi, Continental flies to Cleveland nonstop from Austin. I think round trip is around $300. Much better than having to drive to Houston.
I know, but last time I checked it was a lot cheaper to fly out of Houston...thanks though, I'll keep checking. Things seem to change a lot.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,809 times
ive just been to austin from england- i heard it was the best and 'coolest' place in america. but personally i think it is ****. the people are *******s who think they are better than everyone because they swallow the hype that austin is great. but my experience is that it is boring as hell and there is NOTHING to do. It is a trick they play on people - saying that austin is the best and 'coolest' city in the usa, getting people to travel from all over the world to stay in this ****hole of a city with nothing to do and *******s for company.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,964,980 times
So...Wanker, are you back in England now?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:54 PM

629 posts, read 1,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanker View Post
It is a trick they play on people - saying that austin is the best and 'coolest' city in the usa, getting people to travel from all over the world to stay in this ****hole of a city with nothing to do and *******s for company.
And you fell for it. SUCKER!

Thanks for you're money. Ya'll come back now ya heer (and bring more $$$ next time).

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM

yes i actually live in Wales but i wrote england as it is well known. i got back to NY last week .
i was cool in austin but alot of people were really rude- especially when around 6th and 5th street. If it were more welcoming i could see it being a really nice place.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 AM

I want to point out that this was the main factor of my disliking in austin. i was born in wales but moved to NY when i was 10 and have lived here since (im 31) but i thought i'd try living in austin as i heard it was the best. but if you think us Yorkers are rude- well id say austin was up there with us.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
I want to point out that this was the main factor of my disliking in austin. i was born in wales but moved to NY when i was 10 and have lived here since (im 31) but i thought i'd try living in austin as i heard it was the best. but if you think us Yorkers are rude- well id say austin was up there with us.

If all you did was hang around 5th/6th street...well, you DESERVE to be disappointed.

Thanks for calling me an a-hole...wait, I'm visiting family in Cleveland, I guess since I wasn't there when you were...

Old 07-06-2009, 12:43 AM

142 posts, read 453,865 times
Default Leaving Austin with a negative opinion

Quote:
yes i actually live in Wales but i wrote england as it is well known. i got back to NY last week .
i was cool in austin but alot of people were really rude- especially when around 6th and 5th street. If it were more welcoming i could see it being a really nice place.

What exactly did someone do or say to you that made you leave Austin with such a negative opinion, of Austin? One example would be nice to know.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,014,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk999 View Post
Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.
First, comparing NYC to Austin is inimicable.........I did that with Chicago, and dropped it quickly......two different REGIONS, let alone metros......
Texas and New England are prob the most disperate regions to compare, like Venus and Mars......the liberal bastion, with the oldest, most established cities, and the sunbelt, where new cities sprout up like milkweed......

Second, Austin is the most expensive city in Texas........Why?......not in a swamp like Houston or a dustbowl like Dallas.....and has an ambiant, unique vibe, tied more to UT than corporate ***** pro stadiums in most large metros.......and supply and demand, re ECO 101, sez that where lotsa people wanna move, prices are high.....

Last, Austin indeed lacks a rapid transit infrastructure, outside of the immediate UT area......and the light rail has been a wash so far....WHY? because its in the sunbelt, and the sunbelt doesn't DO rapid transit.......see Florida, Nevada, Arizona, southern cal, NM, and the deep south for more of the same.......

Is Austin for everyone? NO! Is it for you?......Only you can make that call......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin